Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice re search for 3 month rental in Santo Domingo

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newViews View Post
    ............Thanks for all the suggestion guys, so the plan was to get some leads prior to landing then stay in an hotel for a few days while I check out anything I had lined up.........
    and the winner is ,,,,,,,,,, drum roll, Gazcue.........

I know several people who have used airbnb and were satisfied so that could be an option over an hotel.

Gazcue you can walk to la zona to spend a few hours, or walk down to el malecon, easy walk to the Metro (subway) stations, a few decent places to eat. Don't get me wrong la zona can be nice but you will probably get tired of it quick. Gazcue to me is a more residential feeling.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's right to say the Zona Colonial is a tourist bubble. Yes there are tourists who walk up and down the Conde, but it's only one street, and thanks to those tourists you have a lot better policing than other areas, better restaurants and bars. Live in the residential part of the Zona, to the west of Duarte. Regarding bigbird's suggestion on Gazcue, I just question how safe it really is to walk to the Zona at night from Gazcue (I live there now and I used to live in the Zona). The one thing I miss is the abiity to go for a walk and feel pretty much completely safe. I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but I think the very edge of Gazcue and the border with the Zona would suit you, somewhere near Clinica Abreu, south of Independence Square. Very Dominican areas, not many tourists, but you are still close enough to walk safely into the Zona.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    .........Regarding bigbird's suggestion on Gazcue, I just question how safe it really is to walk to the Zona at night from Gazcue (I live there now and I used to live in the Zona).............
    Actually i don't see a reason to go to la zona at night, definetly not el conde. I just as soon be in Gazcue and at night take Uber to Naco or Piantini or even Bella Vista.

How often can one go to la zona before it becomes, the same old, same old thing?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
    I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
    I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.
    you can also try supercasas.com ...... they have furnished apartments but not sure if they rent short term. Your budget of $550 would most likely get you a private room not furnished apartment.

FYI a nice decent one bedroom unfurnished in SD Centro (nice area) starts around $650 a month long term lease. Yes there are cheaper but i am talking A/C, security, 24 electric.

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Also keep in mind the vast majority of the for rent notices for SD on the internet will be in Spanish. Be sure to try Spanish search terms on google in addition to your english searches. 

7. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What are thoughts on Santo Domingo Este?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What are thoughts on Santo Domingo Este?
    For me that is a NO, NO. I know rent is cheaper and there is a reason for it.

I love Dominicans!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody will rent short term from supercasas.com in SD, don't waste your time. AirBnB only. And yes, prices are high for short term with electricity, internet, etc included.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO Internet prices are higher than boots on the ground searches. There are plenty of signs for apartments for rent. Once you get to SD rent you hotel room and start walking around and asking people. It might be tough for a rookie to do this. Either way you are going into your search blind so your chances are just as good. You have gotten some good advice from people who have already been through it. Good luck

12. Likes robbiee liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast