Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice re search for 3 month rental in Santo Domingo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newViews View Post
    I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
    I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.
    I'm not convinced that AirBnB is the right place to search (I own a hotel and know AirBnB very well). AirBnB tends to be focused on tourists for one or two week stays, so prices are comparable to hotels. Your new budget of US$ 700 per month works out at RD$ 32,000. I know in the Zona Colonial you can easily get a one-bed for that budget - the manager of my hotel has just moved out of a place with five bedrooms which she was renting for RD$ 33,000 a month. The issue is the three months I think. Dominicans tend to want at least two months deposit, and normally three. Then rent paid monthly. So if you are possibly thinking of staying longer than the three months, my advice would be to find a place on a one-year contract, negotiate to pay 2 months deposit (including the first month) then pay monthly. If you move out after three months, worst case you will have paid one extra month but will be paying rent at more like the local level rather than the tourist level. Just make sure that the contract says that you can move out at any time but forfeit the deposit if you do (most say that anyway).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    IMO Internet prices are higher than boots on the ground searches. There are plenty of signs for apartments for rent. Once you get to SD rent you hotel room and start walking around and asking people. It might be tough for a rookie to do this. Either way you are going into your search blind so your chances are just as good. You have gotten some good advice from people who have already been through it. Good luck
    Agreed, this is good advice. If you don't speak Spanish, it's worth getting the hotel to find you a local who speaks English and Spanish, they can walk around with you and do the negotiating. Almost every building has a sign up saying For Rent, so you will not be short of choice.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boots on the ground

The problem I see walking around looking for an apartment is first the OP probably has no clue where to start. Second most of the for rent signs you see on buildings are for long term rental, one year or more. Third the OP is looking to find a place in a couple of days and move in immediately thereafter.

Just my two pesos...

@ OP google home away from home or something like that........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month. It sounds like boots on the ground is the best way for me but I need time. On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.

My situation is very flexible, I could technically stay for about 6 months or leave after the first.. we'll see.

Thanks gents for all the advice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

........... On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.............
    Great way to do it.............

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently live in Zona Universtaria. If I were you id look at the naco/piantini area. 24hrs restaurants, clubs/night life everywhere, shopping malls within walking distance, everyone delivers to this area, and its completely safe. Plus you can find some good short term cheap rentals in that area. I have a condo with a ridiculous view of the sea but if i didnt id move to Naco in a second. If i were you id book at a hotel for a couple of days and just go apartment hunting. Airbnb will be way too expensive for 3 months.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

here watch this youtuber who has an apartment in piantini. the vid is fairly recent and the information is legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgWYTjhmixs

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month. It sounds like boots on the ground is the best way for me but I need time. On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.

My situation is very flexible, I could technically stay for about 6 months or leave after the first.. we'll see.

Thanks gents for all the advice.
    Go on a number of real estate sites on-line for Santo Domingo and see what's out there for the colonial zone. I am sure you can find what you are looking for. Are you coming on a work visa. If not you will have to pay a fine when leaving the DR after 3 months. Your tourist card is good for 30 days only. Three months will not be much. If you get a chance while you are in the DR, rent a car or take the bus to the Samana Peninsula for a few days to see the beauty of the Island. Good luck and good travels

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    The problem I see walking around looking for an apartment is first the OP probably has no clue where to start. Second most of the for rent signs you see on buildings are for long term rental, one year or more. Third the OP is looking to find a place in a couple of days and move in immediately thereafter.

Just my two pesos...

@ OP google home away from home or something like that........

its better to rent something for 3 months and have peace of mind than wait for "dream" renter that will rent it for years. maybe he will come, maybe he will not. this is what i would do at least...but on the other hand, knowing "some" landlords....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast