Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need advice re search for 3 month rental in Santo Domingo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newViews View Post
    Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month.
    yes you can.but if you will do typical gringo mistakes, even 3k wont be enough.
    anyways.. define "pretty comfortable"...for some it means roof over the head, clothes, food, chica here and there and some money for transport. for others it means villa with pool with hot water, chica every day and lobster every day. guess what - it all depends on your lifestyle. if people earn 300 bucks per month, than what you would think ? could you live on 1200 or not ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Comfortable for me is, clean, simple, 1 bed room, full kitchen, hot water, once a week house cleaning, going out on the weekends, good internet. Some entertainment here and there as in catching a movie few times a month, doing some touristy tours/road trips once a month or something.

This is a study sabbatical and i'm in a pretty frugal mindset.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbiee View Post
    its better to rent something for 3 months and have peace of mind than wait for "dream" renter that will rent it for years. maybe he will come, maybe he will not. this is what i would do at least...but on the other hand, knowing "some" landlords....
    Maybe what you would do but most landlords won't. Renting short term means the apartment has to be furnished, electricity turned on, and nowadays even have cable TV and internet connected and working. My guess the major reasons why short term rentals are much higher than yearly leases.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Maybe what you would do but most landlords won't. Renting short term means the apartment has to be furnished, electricity turned on, and nowadays even have cable TV and internet connected and working. My guess the major reasons why short term rentals are much higher than yearly leases.
    You're absolutely right.  A few years back we decided to build an extension on our house for a new kitchen. We needed to rent an apartment for 2-3 months. What a nightmare. Everyone wanted one year rental, minimum. We ended up in Miramar, it was $900 USD a month, older place, no AC, no inverter,etc. Internet was extra. 

Won't be easy for the OP. 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

5. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;Won't be easy for the OP. 
    Thanks for the post AE coming from one who has been there and done that.

Back to the OP, my suggestion is find something on airbnb for the first two weeks preferably in Gazcue or la zona. Spend the two weeks walking these two areas and instead of looking for "alquiler" signs on buildings start looking at the small hotels who most likely will offer a good discount on a montly stay.

The problem with the rent signs on buildings will be like i mentioned before and AE backed up. These are long term rentals. Most will be unfurnished apartments and a few will be furnished, but LONG term.

Calle Danae in Gazcue has a few very small hotels that rent rooms on monthly basis. I can think of a few other small hotels that do the same. Sure an apartment would be nice but it won't come cheap. Maybe just a room with TV, frig, and internet will do.

I still think Gazcue or la zona are two nice areas to start in and branch out from there. Both areas are walkable and safe.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info and advice.

My flight is booked and so is my starter apartment. Got something via AirBnb in Zona Universitaria for 1 month, $890usd. One BR w/ electric included, AC, full kitchen, internet, cable, I guess the standard fare. Looks confortable, fairly modern and good reviews as recent as Dec 016 so fingers crossed and all that jazz.

Once on the ground I'll check out the City, pound the pavement as they say. Determine if I want to stick around for 3 or ,if I love it, 6 months.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newViews View Post
    Thanks for all the info and advice.

My flight is booked and so is my starter apartment. Got something via AirBnb in Zona Universitaria for 1 month, $890usd. One BR w/ electric included, AC, full kitchen, internet, cable, I guess the standard fare. Looks confortable, fairly modern and good reviews as recent as Dec 016 so fingers crossed and all that jazz.

Once on the ground I'll check out the City, pound the pavement as they say. Determine if I want to stick around for 3 or ,if I love it, 6 months.

sounds good, keep us posted ....................

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234