3-Month Rental in Santo Domingo

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Hey good people of DR1,

I'm about a week away from a 3 month, possibly more, stretch in the Dominican Republic. I chose Santo Domingo central, it seems to offer most of what I want, well based on googling. Could I get some advice on how to go about finding a comfortable apartment based on my preferences which are;

* neighborhood that is fairly walk-able, meaning a decent saturation of amenities like bars, restaurants, groceries, etc.
* with being walk-able, also fairly safe, meaning its not insane to walk the neighborhood at late night

As for the apartment my main concerns and preferences are;

* not getting taken advantage of
* which channels I use- agent, airbnb, local craiglist, etc.
* budget of $500'ish USd.
* prefer 1 bedroom as apposed to studio
* full kitchen

Thanks folks.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
To add also despite essentially knowing 0 spanish I'd prefer NOT to live in a tourist/expat bubble.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
To add also despite essentially knowing 0 spanish I'd prefer NOT to live in a tourist/expat bubble.

You won't have to worry about that in SD Centro.

One bedroom furnished for $500 USD is low end starting point. That is you also want A/C, reliable electricity, internet, 24 hour security, etc.

Does your three month stay include having to work somewhere because if so try to find a place close to place of employment. Traffic in SD is terrible at the least Monday to Friday.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would suggest you think about the Colonial Zone. The reason is that it is completely walk-able, has a good saturation of bars and restaurants, has good supermarkets (Nacional in the Conde is excellent) as well as other useful shops like Ferreteria Cuesta, has cultural things like museums and hotels that your friends can stay in if they visit. Plus the area is one of the safest in the city, there are a lot of police in the Conde and even at night you will be reasonably safe walking home provided that you stick to the Conde.

Most of the Colonial Zone has 24 hour electricity, which only goes off when Edeeste decide to maintain the system (about once a week).

Budget wise you will get something for US$ 500, but I would suggest you go up from there if you can as the nicer places in the Colonial Zone such as Narai start higher, but have things like swimming pools and 24 hour security. I know the Colonial Zone very well, so feel free to ask questions.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I would suggest you think about the Colonial Zone. The reason is that it is completely walk-able, has a good saturation of bars and restaurants, has good supermarkets (Nacional in the Conde is excellent) as well as other useful shops like Ferreteria Cuesta, has cultural things like museums and hotels that your friends can stay in if they visit. Plus the area is one of the safest in the city, there are a lot of police in the Conde and even at night you will be reasonably safe walking home provided that you stick to the Conde.

Most of the Colonial Zone has 24 hour electricity, which only goes off when Edeeste decide to maintain the system (about once a week).

Budget wise you will get something for US$ 500, but I would suggest you go up from there if you can as the nicer places in the Colonial Zone such as Narai start higher, but have things like swimming pools and 24 hour security. I know the Colonial Zone very well, so feel free to ask questions.

For your criteria, I 2nd this recommendation above! The only real downside there is if you have work travel and need to park there, which doesn't seem like an issue for you

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, la zona would be a very good choice or Gazcue. My preference would be Gazcue first, la zona second.

Something in the area from Maxima Gomez east to la zona and from el malecon to avenida Bolivar should work.

For a short stay of three months you can always get data service from Claro or Orange prepaid when and if the apartment internet goes down.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
*not getting taken advantage of

This is up to you. There will, at times on a daily basis (or more) be individuals trying to take advantage of you from the guys on the street which will want to change your dollars (I suggest you don't use them) to tour operators, taxi drivers (if you end up in Zona Colonial, use Uber or get the number for Apollo taxi. the taxis around the Zona are allowed to charge a higher (seems like double rate. By all means if you here someone saying to you "my fren", "my fren" RUN!!!!!

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

There is a Spanish guy named Paco who owns a place on Duarte between Arzobispo Nouel y Padre Billini (a two story white wiith green trim building) next door to Drake's Pub - which by the way is the best new restauarnt/bar in the Zona Colonial. Not a full kitchen but you can prepare meals, it's clean, it's safe, etc.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Cool, so from my googling, I did note Gazcue and also Zona Universetaria seem like what I'm looking for. I did see Zona Colonial but it seemed like a tourist bubble and that I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys, so the plan was to get some leads prior to landing then stay in an hotel for a few days while I check out anything I had lined up.

How do I go about finding possible places.. is there a local sites everyone posts rentals or would it be best to contact some agents? I see dr1 has a rental page but doesn't appear to be any listen for Santo Domingo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............Thanks for all the suggestion guys, so the plan was to get some leads prior to landing then stay in an hotel for a few days while I check out anything I had lined up.........

and the winner is ,,,,,,,,,, drum roll, Gazcue.........

I know several people who have used airbnb and were satisfied so that could be an option over an hotel.

Gazcue you can walk to la zona to spend a few hours, or walk down to el malecon, easy walk to the Metro (subway) stations, a few decent places to eat. Don't get me wrong la zona can be nice but you will probably get tired of it quick. Gazcue to me is a more residential feeling.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I don't think it's right to say the Zona Colonial is a tourist bubble. Yes there are tourists who walk up and down the Conde, but it's only one street, and thanks to those tourists you have a lot better policing than other areas, better restaurants and bars. Live in the residential part of the Zona, to the west of Duarte. Regarding bigbird's suggestion on Gazcue, I just question how safe it really is to walk to the Zona at night from Gazcue (I live there now and I used to live in the Zona). The one thing I miss is the abiity to go for a walk and feel pretty much completely safe. I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but I think the very edge of Gazcue and the border with the Zona would suit you, somewhere near Clinica Abreu, south of Independence Square. Very Dominican areas, not many tourists, but you are still close enough to walk safely into the Zona.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........Regarding bigbird's suggestion on Gazcue, I just question how safe it really is to walk to the Zona at night from Gazcue (I live there now and I used to live in the Zona).............

Actually i don't see a reason to go to la zona at night, definetly not el conde. I just as soon be in Gazcue and at night take Uber to Naco or Piantini or even Bella Vista.

How often can one go to la zona before it becomes, the same old, same old thing?

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.

you can also try supercasas.com ...... they have furnished apartments but not sure if they rent short term. Your budget of $550 would most likely get you a private room not furnished apartment.

FYI a nice decent one bedroom unfurnished in SD Centro (nice area) starts around $650 a month long term lease. Yes there are cheaper but i am talking A/C, security, 24 electric.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Also keep in mind the vast majority of the for rent notices for SD on the internet will be in Spanish. Be sure to try Spanish search terms on google in addition to your english searches. 

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Nobody will rent short term from supercasas.com in SD, don't waste your time. AirBnB only. And yes, prices are high for short term with electricity, internet, etc included.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
IMO Internet prices are higher than boots on the ground searches. There are plenty of signs for apartments for rent. Once you get to SD rent you hotel room and start walking around and asking people. It might be tough for a rookie to do this. Either way you are going into your search blind so your chances are just as good. You have gotten some good advice from people who have already been through it. Good luck