Radio reporter murdered during live show in San Pedro de Macoris

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
This happened just a few hours ago, a reporter making a live show on radio station 103 FM in San Pedro was shot dead, along with the director. The secretary is fighting for her life in hospital. Seems that the assassins burst into the radio station during the show and shot him dead. The police have already detained some suspects.

Quite graphic photos of the aftermath on SIN:

http://noticiassin.com/2017/02/desc...-plena-transmision-de-programa-radial-en-spm/

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sadly, murder has become just another popular career choice, like a lawyer, accountant, engineer, doctor etc.

When the sentence is minimal and usually just for optics, whats the deterrent for these criminals? How many do you think have ever served more than 10-20% of their sentence?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Animals. There is nothing that warrants doing something like that to another living being. At times it seems that in this country, more value is placed on material things instead of on living breathing beings. Just incredible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Animals. There is nothing that warrants doing something like that to another living being. At times it seems that in this country, more value is placed on material things instead of on living breathing beings. Just incredible.

this is getting really tiresome. some Dominican does something really heinous, and we start hearing how much the people place no value on life. yet, when some guy in the USA goes into a church, and kills a bunch of innocent people, we hear that he is disturbed.

just sayin..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
this is getting really tiresome. some Dominican does something really heinous, and we start hearing how much the people place no value on life. yet, when some guy in the USA goes into a church, and kills a bunch of innocent people, we hear that he is disturbed.

just sayin..

Indint know the background of these killings, but I find it a whole different story when a crazy racist kills a group of church goers than when in a certain country a certain class of people kill for a cell phone or a disagreement. Many of the killings in DR seem to be a result of no value for life, a crazy person killing people at random is probably even more horrible but doesn't say that much of the value of life but much more of the mental state of a part of the population.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
As sad as it is we all know very well this type of activity is not confined to Dominicans or the Dominican Republic. 

I keep my comments confined to the DR simply because of the directions which have been given by the mods. I think we all know that things like this happens in almost every country on this planet.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

just sayin..
Yawn!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

You missed a couple of words. "A few" just before "Dominicans". A lot of us on this forum have a lot of Dominican friends, we know that the majority of Dominicans are nice people who have good values. If you really believe that all Dominicans are cockroaches, you really have no understanding at all of the people and the country. Putting this type of post on a forum for people who have chosen to live in the Dominican Republic - and therefore like the country - is just demonstrating that you are not only racist but also stupid.

I think the post quoted has been withdrawn by a mod, thanks. I'm happy for my reply to be deleted in this case as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Maybe this was mentioned in the video, but the unofficial word on the street is that this hit was ordered by a company operating in the Free Zone.  Leonidas Martínez been talking a lot about a creek/stream polluted with blue ink that he came across while on a tour he organized.  We went with him to Isla Saona a couple of years ago. It wasn't luxurious, but he made sure we were all very comfortable and it was a well organized tour.

Here  a link to the video he discussed on air:

https://youtu.be/_1tunXn-boI

And news from local paper:

http://www.macorisdelmar.com/notici...del-programa-milenio-caliente-de-f-m-103.html

The 3 months pregnant secretary was reported as deceased so that she would not be attacked in hospital, and later identified the hit man from a photo. 

So whichever company found this Sicario and the radio station operator/tour organizer lost his life. 

Sad that he was just trying to bring attention to the environmental pollution and was killed after over 30 years of operating in SPM.  May he rest in peace.  

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Speculation, and as you stated "unofficial word on the street". There are many unofficial words. Please stick to facts as they are released. This is an ongoing investigation, and the reason I have not posted anything regarding it. The facts will emerge shortly.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
 My apologies SanPedrogringo, I didn't realize that I needed permission from your overruling authority to post about the topic. From my experience with "Leo", he was a professional and hardworking individual.  Part of my post was clearly identified as speculation, yes.  The other part was expressing my condolences. I will stick to the ever so reliable and trustworthy periódicos. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
This evening, after being confronted by police while trying to flee San Pedro in the direction of La Romana, the suspect committed suicide by self-inflicted gunshot.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Considering the ever so speculative "word on the street" I nonetheless do not believe for one second that the gunshot was self inflicted. The guy had a personal bone to pick with Leo and just decided to off him one day? Or Leo drew attention to the environmental violation with his radio show, and was killed by a hit man? Maybe I'm wrong and an elaborate feud between the two men will surface within the next few days.  My money's on scenario #2 (or even #3 that is yet to come to light).  "News" should be taken with a bloody dump truck of salt, in the street or otherwise.  

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Dominican Republic radio hosts killed during Facebook Live broadcast

Dominican Republic radio hosts killed during Facebook Live broadcast

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/world/dominican-republic-radio-facebook-shooting-trnd/index.html

I wonder if this crime have anything to do with the reporting subject ?  I remember reading some where that one of our expresidentes has or had stocks, vested interest, in said company. Just wondering ...  

Have a great day everyone!