Torre vs residencial.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Only for those that have lived in both, please share your insight. Can't decide between the two. Both new construction, residencial in Los Prados and torre in Evaristo Morales. Thanks.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If a normal apartment building counts as 'torre' (never lived in torre but did in a building of 4 stories), residencial would be my choice. Most of my family live in Torres and judging from that I'd again choose residencial. I just sold my house in a residencial and preparing to leave the country but I wouldn't have stayed 7 years of living in a torre.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Only for those that have lived in both, please share your insight. Can't decide between the two. Both new construction, residencial in Los Prados and torre in Evaristo Morales. Thanks.

Not sure why the restriction. You also could have gotten views from those who only lived in residencial or torres and why they like them. I never lived in a residencial but only torres and would have offered my views of what I liked. There may be others who only lived in residencial and would have spoken about what they enjoyed.

With that opening line gives the impression you don't have time to listen to no one but those who have done both. just sayin'

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If a normal apartment building counts as 'torre' (never lived in torre but did in a building of 4 stories), residencial would be my choice. Most of my family live in Torres and judging from that I'd again choose residencial. I just sold my house in a residencial and preparing to leave the country but I wouldn't have stayed 7 years of living in a torre.

Maybe I should read my posts before I hit send. What I meant to say was that I lived now for five years in a residencial and before that two years in a 4 story building (24 apartments). I didn't like living in a building and wouldn't have been able to stay in DR for 7 years if we would have stayed there. Some of my family in law live in (upscale) towers and I wouldn't have want to change with them even if they pay me. I like the combination of freedom of a house plus security and shared cost you get in a residencial. 

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Feel free to post your experience if you have lived in either. Apologies for the wording.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Feel free to post your experience if you have lived in either. Apologies for the wording.

jejeje, just busting your chops.

In la rep dom so far i have lived in two different torres. One a six story and one a seven story. Both of my apartments were on the upper floors (5 and 6). Living single i enjoyed the upper floor view. Both buildings were gated with security. Going and coming was quite different than all the years i have lived in a one family house. Coming and going you must pass people on the elevator, the reception area, the security guard, maintenance dude, etc. Quite different than pulling into a driveway, walking thirty feet and in your house. I got used to it.

Once in the apartment i was in heaven. Shut the door and the outside world get shut out.

There really isn't a thing i could complain about living in a torre once i adjusted. i could happy as a pig in shyte living on the 2oth floor, but that is just me.

I think if i were living with a spouse and children i would go for a residencial. First reason no need to deal with the elevator every time you come and go. A second floor or even third floor residencial the kids could just use the stairs all the time. Another advantage i think would be being able to look out your window and see your parking spot where on occasion the kids may want to go just to bounce a ball.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
jejeje, just busting your chops.

In la rep dom so far i have lived in two different torres. One a six story and one a seven story. Both of my apartments were on the upper floors (5 and 6). Living single i enjoyed the upper floor view. Both buildings were gated with security. Going and coming was quite different than all the years i have lived in a one family house. Coming and going you must pass people on the elevator, the reception area, the security guard, maintenance dude, etc. Quite different than pulling into a driveway, walking thirty feet and in your house. I got used to it.

Once in the apartment i was in heaven. Shut the door and the outside world get shut out.

There really isn't a thing i could complain about living in a torre once i adjusted. i could happy as a pig in shyte living on the 2oth floor, but that is just me.

I think if i were living with a spouse and children i would go for a residencial. First reason no need to deal with the elevator every time you come and go. A second floor or even third floor residencial the kids could just use the stairs all the time. Another advantage i think would be being able to look out your window and see your parking spot where on occasion the kids may want to go just to bounce a ball.

Many thanks! My main concern was going from having 7 neighbors to 24 in a torre. But the torre has pool and gym, but I still don't see me nor my family using a pool with neighbors.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Many thanks! My main concern was going from having 7 neighbors to 24 in a torre. But the torre has pool and gym, but I still don't see me nor my family using a pool with neighbors.

I guess technically they would be neighbors but certainly not neighbors like i was used to living stateside in a one family house. My floor had six apartments and in two years i never knew who lived in four of them and only occassionaly saw the people leaving or arriving in the other two. You will meet them on the elevator for a "buenos" but other than that no other contact.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Ok. Honest gringo question. I know houses. I know apartment buildings. What's a torre? Is that an upscale apartment building, tower? Is it a city (Santo Domingo/Santiago) thing?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Torre would be an apartment building with just my guess four stories or more.

A residencial to me would also be an apartment building but only two or three stories with several buildings attached. Something like a Motel 6 vs Hyatt Regency.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Casas are simple. Torres I was unsure of, and residencials I always believed were the same as gated communities with a secured entry/exit area (main gate).

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Torre would be an apartment building with just my guess four stories or more.

A residencial to me would also be an apartment building but only two or three stories with several buildings attached. Something like a Motel 6 vs Hyatt Regency.

Big bird you know where I live, is it a torre? I ask  because the name is Residencial ****
A Torre can be a Residencial, but not all Residencials are Torres? 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Big bird you know where I live, is it a torre? I ask  because the name is Residencial ****

LOL, now why you want to go confuse everything?

I would consider your place a residencia. To me a torre is one building with one main entrance for all tenants. Yours would be a taller residence thus the name. Just guessing......... maybe yours is a hybrid?

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Torres are, usually, high end buildings (5 story +) with amenities such as pools, gyms, concierge, underground parking garace, etc etc. There are some "torres" that are nothing but a regular building with an elevator in it, many others are very upscale and luxurious, so it'll always boils down to ones budget. I live in a residencial, but many family members and good friends live in torres, and coincidentally one of my best friends lives in a torre in Evaristo Morales which i happen to visit all the time so i'd say this about the neighborhood and the buildings, completely safe, and we arrive at 4/5 a.m all the time and nothing ever seems to happen. Buildings are well taken care of, which will obviously depend on the maintenance company handling it, almost all torres have surveillance systems; as said before, you will most likely not even get to meet your neighbors cause most of them are busy working and or vacationing (as you might know, most people living in torres are upper class dominicans), so if sharing with/knowing your neighbors is a priority for you then i'd never advice living in a torre.

The only "downside" of living in a torre i've noticed is that sometimes i feel like there's a "false" sense of security, howcome?, well, i stay by myself at my friend's condo all the time (a 9th floor), and sometimes he doesnt let the concierge know that i'm coming over yet when i get to the reception they dont even ask questions (pretty much judging a book by its cover, feel me?), since i pretty much look like someone who could live there, they dont even bother asking questions, lol, which won't necessarily happen at yours, just saying.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

If you're in the same place we came to, I don't consider that a Torre.  Think of the high-rises on Anacaona, those are torres

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Lived in both here-all I can tell you is be prepared for the games with the mantenimiento.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Torres are, usually, high end buildings (5 story +) with amenities such as pools, gyms, concierge, underground parking garace, etc etc. There are some "torres" that are nothing but a regular building with an elevator in it, many others are very upscale and luxurious, so it'll always boils down to ones budget.  

That describes my building. It's over 5 floors but doesn't have the amenities, just an elevator and security. So really it's just a tall residencial.