Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report Part I...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trip Report Part I...

I'll try to make this short and sweet. Flew into Santiago with Bronxboy and was picked up and driven to the campo by a fellow DR1 member. We got to Villa Bao and I hung out in the campo for my whole stay with another DR1 member. The hospitality was incredible on all sides.

Trip purpose-to relax. To stock up on my much-needed medication. To do as little as humanly possible. To get the stuff I brought from NYC to all DR1 parties concerned.

I've known Bronxboy for years, but this was the first time we've hung out in the DR. Talk about the perfect wingman. When he came to pick me up to go to the airport, I had, along with my luggage, two huge bags of stuff for the peeps in the DR. He didn't even mention it on the ride over, didn't complain, and when we got into the airport terminal we got down to the process of getting the stuff in our already overpacked luggage while being cognizant of the weight limit. Thank goodness for the scales at the airport.

The first failed attempt he was over the limit and I was under. We decided to re-shuffle some things and his bag came in underweight and mine was over. A bit more finagling and we got it right. Since Bronxboy didn't have a carry-on we put some things in a plastic bag and he got on the plane with it.

We get to Santiago, no worries. On the flight, I had an aisle seat with someone sitting next to me and the window seat unoccupied. This is the third time this has happened to me, where we have an extra seat in the aisle and the person sitting next to me refuses to change seats so we can both be more comfortable.

Coming back there was an elderly lady in my seat who refused to budge, and I was not trying to sit anywhere but in the aisle seat. So someone was kind enough to switch seats with me and all was good. But the same thing happened. Some lady sat next to me with the window seat unoccupied and refused to move so we could BOTH have more room.

I've visited campos in the DR before but never stayed as long as this recent trip. Definitely an eye-opening experience. Here are some pics-

The local baseball field, "El Play de Villa Bao-

Typical campo road-

Tobacco drying in a shed-

Local tobacco fields-

Last edited by Berzin; 02-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the trip report...a nice change of pace. Love the photos. Wish more people would do trip reports...Gives a glimpse into areas/things one may not have seen or know of.

3. Likes Berzin, irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice and thanks for the Nice Pics ... Glad you got to relax and unwind ..

and yes, what is it with Airplane seats and Dominicans ? good grief they just dont get it .
    This is another reason to buy a ticket up front on the way down, to not have to deal with such utter nonsense .

again, glad you and Bronxboy had a nice time.

5. Likes Berzin, Bronxboy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Real nice Berzin and myself being a picture person loved the photos. When i look at the pics they say to me relax, if i don't do it today i do it tomorrow so just take it easy.............

Had to laugh about the person not moving to the empty window seat. It has also happened to me and i could never figure it out....

7. Likes Berzin liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I was able to pick up my medication in large quantities from the same pharmacy in Santiago that I had done business with previously. Without knowing (because I didn't tell him) the guy helping me told me to put the stuff in my check-in luggage so I won't get hassled. I guess I'm not the only one who goes there to buy medication in bulk to bring back to the states.

SantiagoDR was more than patient with me on more than one occasion, taking me into town and waiting with me while my order was processed and either dropped me off at the guagua or took me directly back to Villa Bao. I felt bad inconveniencing him like that, so I learned how to get into town and back on my own. No one bothered me and even though I did get a bit lost for a quick second in Santiago proper, I still managed my way back. Walking around and getting lost is the best way to acclimate yourself to your surroundings.

I met up with The Gorgon, who once again came through in the clutch. Gorgon is definitely an extremely kind-hearted man for what he did for me. Think about a cat who takes a bus from Puerto Plata just to drop something off for me. We exchanged items, spoke for a a bit and then he had to be off. Next trip we will definitely hang out with more time to spare. He had a book with him that I found interesting, and told him to pm me the title and author so I can check it out once I get home. He did me one better. He actually gave it to me on the spot. That type of magnanimous behavior is something I will appreciate forever.

The local Colmado-

A man and his donkey, who the night before was strolling around the ball field at 2 in the morning hanging out and nibbling on some grass-

More pics of the ball field-

Y quien dice que Berzin no se mete en el campo, baina?

Getting dark in the campo-

The unofficial groundskeeper-

Two photos from the corner colmado where you take the bus into Santiago from Villa Bao-

Last edited by Berzin; 02-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.

9. Likes DRob, jd426, frank12, Garyexpat, Bronxboy and 4 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Will post Part II tomorrow, with more photos.

11. Likes jd426, irishpaddy liked this post
    Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    ... so I learned how to get into town and back on my own. No one bothered me and even though I did get a bit lost for a quick second in Santiago proper, I still managed my way back.
    Thanks to Waytogo, who supplied him with an emergency cell phone for his adventurous trips to Santiago to call me in case he got lost. lol
    ..........Moderator

The Clown Bin / Central

13. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Berzin, it was good to meet you and SantiagoDR but too bad you couldn't hang out a while with Bronxboy, Cristorey and I.
    Next time - nice photos.

15. Likes Bronxboy, Berzin liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to make this short and sweet. Flew into Santiago with Bronxboy and was picked up and driven to the campo by a fellow DR1 member. We got to Villa Bao and I hung out in the campo for my whole stay with another DR1 member. The hospitality was incredible on all sides.

Trip purpose-to relax. To stock up on my much-needed medication. To do as little as humanly possible. To get the stuff I brought from NYC to all DR1 parties concerned.

I've known Bronxboy for years, but this was the first time we've hung out in the DR. Talk about the perfect wingman. When he came to pick me up to go to the airport, I had, along with my luggage, two huge bags of stuff for the peeps in the DR. He didn't even mention it on the ride over, didn't complain, and when we got into the airport terminal we got down to the process of getting the stuff in our already overpacked luggage while being cognizant of the weight limit. Thank goodness for the scales at the airport.

The first failed attempt he was over the limit and I was under. We decided to re-shuffle some things and his bag came in underweight and mine was over. A bit more finagling and we got it right. Since Bronxboy didn't have a carry-on we put some things in a plastic bag and he got on the plane with it.

We get to Santiago, no worries. On the flight, I had an aisle seat with someone sitting next to me and the window seat unoccupied. This is the third time this has happened to me, where we have an extra seat in the aisle and the person sitting next to me refuses to change seats so we can both be more comfortable.

Coming back there was an elderly lady in my seat who refused to budge, and I was not trying to sit anywhere but in the aisle seat. So someone was kind enough to switch seats with me and all was good. But the same thing happened. Some lady sat next to me with the window seat unoccupied and refused to move so we could BOTH have more room.

I've visited campos in the DR before but never stayed as long as this recent trip. Definitely an eye-opening experience. Here are some pics-

The local baseball field, "El Play de Villa Bao-

Typical campo road-

Tobacco drying in a shed-

Local tobacco fields-

Love your photos... #field of dreams.

17. Likes bob saunders, Berzin liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A man and his donkey, who the night before was strolling around the ball field at 2 in the morning hanging out and nibbling on some grass-

The unofficial groundskeeper-

Grass roots grounds keeping!

19. Likes Berzin liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast