Quality whey isolate protein and info on gyms

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Hey good peeps of SD,

So... first excuse my ignorance showing here assuming I can't find quality/reasonably priced protein in SD.

I will be in your city soon for a month, possible more. I have become a bit of a gym rat this year and want to continue. I'm not crazy into supplements and all but I do need my whey isolate. Should I load up and bring this stuff with me or will I have no problems finding quality brands at reasonable prices?

Also, searching around I see posts, albeit dated, that make it appear that gyms are pretty expensive in the capital, requiring annual memberships and that lower cost are often not really adequate for weight lifters and overcrowded. So whats the current situation?

Thanks!

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Your whey will be double the price than in the states, so bring it if you can.

As far as gyms go, there are barrio gyms around that have nothing but iron and you pay per visit, and they're cheap.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hi view... from a fellow gym rat, I asked the same question...whey protein is made from milk, milk is much more expensive here, if you buy the whey protein here besides price, there will be a problem of what it really contains? If here for a month,maybe bring.... dont know about the gyms in SD ,as I am in Santiago. I am assuming you are from usa ,Canada? that type gym is hard to find here, I use 2 kinds, barrio , and expensive american gym. as we know the most important thing is to GO to the gym..............Doc...........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi view... from a fellow gym rat, I asked the same question...whey protein is made from milk, milk is much more expensive here, if you buy the whey protein here besides price, there will be a problem of what it really contains? If here for a month,maybe bring.... dont know about the gyms in SD ,as I am in Santiago. I am assuming you are from usa ,Canada? that type gym is hard to find here, I use 2 kinds, barrio , and expensive american gym. as we know the most important thing is to GO to the gym..............Doc...........

What is the golds gym in the international plaza in Santiago like? Every time I am in that mall I see very fit girls heading there. Whey protein is available in most of the super markets, pharmacies, and lots of the gyms. Mostly it is American products.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are some very nice gyms in SD.

I think the Body Shop on avenida Sarasota is the largest one in the country (possibly in the Caribbean too?). If the equipment you are looking for is not there, chances are high that it doesn't exist in the country. They also have other outlets in the city. The Sarasota one has nice views of the city and the Caribbean Sea. Very nice to be on the jogging machines while enjoying those views.

Smart Fit is another gym chain of 'international standards.' They just opened a new gym at Downtown Center on avenida Betancourt. I don't know what its like in terms of size. They have other outlets in the city.

There are a few Gold Gym's scattered about.

Then there are the non-pretentious barrio gyms. They may be too crude for your liking, especially if used to American gyms. Then again, maybe you adapt quickly. I personally don't know any off the top of my head, but keep your eyes out for anything that says 'gimnasio'. Better yet, stick to the brand types mentioned above.

You should say in what part of the city you are planning to live in, that will definitely help in suggesting specific gyms that you can actually use (unless you don't mind traffic as you cross town just to pump iron).

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
I use Gold's Gym in Evaristo Morales and think that it's excellent. They sell supplements and protein powder both inside the gym, and at a shop just outside the entrance in the parking garage. I bought a large jar of protein powder from a health food store in Blue Mall, I think, or it could have been Acropolis. However, you'll have no problem finding most all of the same stuff that you can get in the U.S. from a place like GNC.

However, when you come here, just expect to pay for whatever you want, meaning, it'll be more than what you're used to paying back home. Your first-world expectations have a steep price tag in the third world.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
What is the golds gym in the international plaza in Santiago like? Every time I am in that mall I see very fit girls heading there. Whey protein is available in most of the super markets, pharmacies, and lots of the gyms. Mostly it is American products.

Bob I use the gym at Pucamajma University, that hillbilly told me about, and a barrio gym near some of relatives house. I will check out the golds gym, I am a every other day work out guy so a new gym is always a good thing. I use the whey protein powder I bring from the USA, after buying prescription meds at pharmacys here, I would rather use things USA made and sold in USA............Doc................

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
OK, I'm loading up on whey. I'll be essentially taking 11lbs of whey.. 2x 5.5. A friend made a joke in passing that i'm going to end up in airport jail until the DR customs realize, a first time visitor to the country, isn't trying to smuggle 11 lbs of some kind of drug.

I have to admit.. at first I brushed it off but some hours later, the worry crept in. Now I think 11lbs might be extreme and cause me problems at customs. It'll be sealed/unopened and in chcked luggage, should I declare, should I not? How bananas is the customs operations at SDQ?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Protein powder here is two to three times more expensive than US. Either suffer or ship it in or carry it yourself. A much better and proven supplement is creatine if you take enough and drink plenty of water. Plus it is cheap. Best deal in SD is a barrio gym with good fans. Foo Foo hi class gyms are expensive and often do not have short term memberships. Only good thing about the expensive gyms is the quality of the eye candy.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bring what you can , as long as it's sealed you shouldn't have a problem. 

Gnc products are available in DR, saw a big display at La Sirena last week. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is this your priority in terms of luggage? really? i looked into shipping some protein supplements for myself but ultimately decided it was not worth it. many stores will give you a discount if paying cash and/or buying in bulk.
i'd rather spend the pitiful luggage allowance on personal belongings. unless you only use specific type of powder that may be harder to find in DR.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
I generally travel light, a small laptop backpack + 40L backpack, both carry on but with the time I plan on spending in the DR this trip I am adding one piece of checked luggage with some computer equipment, my whey isolate, extra clothing and added some specialty/hippy skincare and food items.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I usually dump the powder into a gallon zip lock and then into a another gallon zip lock for luck. I'm always amazed that a powder with a high nitrogen content isn't checked more often, but in flying every week for 10 years and frequently internationally, I've only been questioned once.

What did drive them crazy was Erythritol which is an artificial sugar which doesn't have the god awful aftertaste. It lit up the bomb detectors like a christmas tree and I was getting gate massages on a regular basis. I gave it up after I figured out that it was the cause of some nasty dragon breath.

cpaynego

Mar 6, 2017
I workout at Gimnasio Colonial... It's in the center of Zona Colonial and it's cheap: $800 RD to sign up and $700 RD/month. You can also workout for the day rate of $100 RD. The gym is super basic and small, but if you're a real gym rat, it'll get the job done. They have dumbbells, a smith machine, a few cardio machines, and some benches, amongst other equipment.

As for the whey, they sell it at supermarkets. I haven't looked at the price, but I know they have it.

What part of town are you staying in?