Border Fee: Legitimate or Extortion?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

Every month I leave the D.R. for Haiti, travelling by bus and crossing into Belade (Haiti) from Elias Pina (D.R.), and then return one week later. I have been doing this since 2009. However, it has only been in about the last nine months that I am doing this monthly.

I have had no issues with the Dominican exit tax: If my last passport stamp shows < 30 days, I owe no tax. If it shows > 30 days, I pay a pro-rated tax. We all probably use the same chart, widely available.

I have never had a problem at the Haitian immigration. However, I almost always have a problem at the Dominican immigration. For the past 6 months now, officials have demanded that I pay $20.00 U.S. I have never paid this, they always let me go, but not until I raised hell and refused to pay, loud-talking them, etc. (aggressive but no insults). So, now, every time I pass the border I know I'm in for a fight. I win it but I don't like it.

The office should receive my application, check the date on my passport, stamp it, and providing that I owe no exit tax, give my passport back to me. Instead, they pass it through a window to CAJA--even though I do not have to pay. This is where they demand the $20.00. I even remember when they painted the new sign CAJA. Other times, instead of the CAJA, it could be a random official making this demand, a big crowd forming to see who is going to "win." Like a damn cock fight.

I was thinking about going to the main immigration office and filing a report of corruption but since I am the only caucasian who crosses at this point (that I have seen crossing since 2009), I realize that I could be easily traced, and that both departments could be in collusion, and if I am blocking some income, maybe it could be dangerous for me, so I've just resolved that I'm not going to make a complaint, just fight them every time.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those who leave the country by airplane pay a $20-$25 USD exit tax. Many times this is included in the cost of the airline ticket, but I've had to pay it when using a charter carrier. Not sure if this is required for land borders, but I don't see why not. The overstay fees are a separate "tax".

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There is a $20 Departure tax and all air passengers have been paying it for years.
I did not pay it last time I visited Dajabon to Cap Haitien. Sounds like they are now enforcing it.

I wonder if they are collecting it from Haitien Nationals?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The $20 is a DGII exit tax normally included in the airfare but also charged at ferry ports (I wonder if yachtsmen get this charge too when they depart DR shores?)

It generated 6.4% of revenue from airports last year according to the table in the attached article........twice that of the tourist card which one would expect.

http://www.primicias.com.do/index.p...-****-es-recaudar-rd-384-102-millones-en-2017

It would be logical if it were to be applied at land border crossings too for 'tourists', citizens, residents and visa holders. The majority of Haitians using the recognized border crossings apart from Dominican 'Haitians' will be 'habitantes fronterizeros' who are subject to specific regulations in the law plus a lesser number of work, student and tourist visa holders. We already know those that cross at other points illegally if caught get deported and barred easy legal re-entry. Don't believe it is just a tourist tax because citizens and residents etc.pay it in their airfares too.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Those who leave the country by airplane pay a $20-$25 USD exit tax. Many times this is included in the cost of the airline ticket, but I've had to pay it when using a charter carrier. Not sure if this is required for land borders, but I don't see why not. The overstay fees are a separate "tax".

Hmm, you are indicating that my "problem" may not be an example of extortion but may be a legitimate fee. If that's the case, why do they always let me go without paying it? This would NEVER happen with the exit tax. In fact, I remember once paying RD 4000, > 3 months. Would you have a recommendation as to where I might pursue this, either in writing from a governmental office on the Internet or from an immigration office in the capital? I'd like to settle this. BTW, as an example, there are various aberrations that can occur at the binational border crossings (markets). On Friday and Monday in EP is the Haitian market. Everyone comes in, more than 1000, and passes into the DR WITHOUT DOCUMENTATION. And then they all go back the same afternoon. If someone tried to grab a bus in EP to Sto. Dom. they'd never make it: The bus driver checks documents and there are about 10 military checkpoints.

In flying there are probably uniform procedures because you have a large group consistently going from A to B. I am a lone individual walking on foot . . .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lucas, there has always been a departure tax, but now most airlines add it into their fares. In the old days we had to remember to have $80 US to leave with our kids (yes, even little kids pay). 

I suspect they've just begun enforcing an existing law. 

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
There is a $20 Departure tax and all air passengers have been paying it for years.
I did not pay it last time I visited Dajabon to Cap Haitien. Sounds like they are now enforcing it.

I wonder if they are collecting it from Haitien Nationals?

I have seen cases where they have collected it from Haitian Nationals. In fact, one time, while waiting at CAJA, I refused to pay it and was let go, and the Haitian standing next to me paid it. Of course, we have different passports and countries of origin. This could explain the difference or there could be some other aberration. I think the bottom line is, as I explained to Cdn_Gringo, I need to find out from an authoritative Dominican governmental source what the policy is for my situation and settle this matter: Either I have to pay it or I don't. Any leads on what this source might be, either on the Net or an office in Sto. Dom.?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hmm, you are indicating that my "problem" may not be an example of extortion but may be a legitimate fee. If that's the case, why do they always let me go without paying it? This would NEVER happen with the exit tax. In fact, I remember once paying RD 4000, > 3 months. Would you have a recommendation as to where I might pursue this, either in writing from a governmental office on the Internet or from an immigration office in the capital? I'd like to settle this. BTW, as an example, there are various aberrations that can occur at the binational border crossings (markets). On Friday and Monday in EP is the Haitian market. Everyone comes in, more than 1000, and passes into the DR WITHOUT DOCUMENTATION. And then they all go back the same afternoon. If someone tried to grab a bus in EP to Sto. Dom. they'd never make it: The bus driver checks documents and there are about 10 military checkpoints.

In flying there are probably uniform procedures because you have a large group consistently going from A to B. I am a lone individual walking on foot . . .

Your post is in the legal section.Lawyer Fabio Guzman can give you an answer. His will be the true answer. Be patient and wait for his response.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Lucas, there has always been a departure tax, but now most airlines add it into their fares. In the old days we had to remember to have $80 US to leave with our kids (yes, even little kids pay). 

I suspect they've just begun enforcing an existing law. 

Thanks, AlterEgo. However, my concern has nothing to do with the departure tax. I have no issues with that and have never had an issue with that at the EP Dominican immigration. I remember once paying RD 4000 for > 90 days--no issue with that. But if my passport shows < 90 days as I leave the country every month to Haiti, then as long as this is the case, I should never pay an exit tax.

My issue is with the U.S. $20.00 agents demand I pay and that I never pay and that they always let me go without paying. That smacks of corruption to me. They would never let me get out of paying the exit tax, no matter how much I complained. This is different.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
original post: Your post is in the legal section.Lawyer Fabio Guzman can give you an answer. His will be the true answer. Be patient and wait for his response.

Thank you for this, dulce. I will be patient.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks, AlterEgo. However, my concern has nothing to do with the departure tax. I have no issues with that and have never had an issue with that at the EP Dominican immigration. I remember once paying RD 4000 for > 90 days--no issue with that. But if my passport shows < 90 days as I leave the country every month to Haiti, then as long as this is the case, I should never pay an exit tax.

My issue is with the U.S. $20.00 agents demand I pay and that I never pay and that they always let me go without paying. That smacks of corruption to me. They would never let me get out of paying the exit tax, no matter how much I complained. This is different.

Departure tax is NOT the overstay fee.  Everyone has to pay $20 departure tax, even if they have been in DR for one day. As I said, it's usually in plane fares already. Leaving by car, bus, foot, collected in person. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If your passport shows less than 30 days in the DR, you would not pay the exit fee for overstaying. As far as another exit tax on top of that, I have no idea and Dr Guzman needs to respond with the legal answer.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It is called a departure tax and everyone pays it. Although the ground border agents may not have collected it in the past, EVERY Air Passenger has paid and continues to pay it. US carriers and all Canadian Carriers (except Sunwing/Signature) include it.
Departure Tax = $20 and it is not corruption. It is Taxation.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
The $20 is a DGII exit tax normally included in the airfare but also charged at ferry ports (I wonder if yachtsmen get this charge too when they depart DR shores?)

It generated 6.4% of revenue from airports last year according to the table in the attached article........twice that of the tourist card which one would expect.

http://www.primicias.com.do/index.p...-****-es-recaudar-rd-384-102-millones-en-2017

It would be logical if it were to be applied at land border crossings too for 'tourists', citizens, residents and visa holders. The majority of Haitians using the recognized border crossings apart from Dominican 'Haitians' will be 'habitantes fronterizeros' who are subject to specific regulations in the law plus a lesser number of work, student and tourist visa holders. We already know those that cross at other points illegally if caught get deported and barred easy legal re-entry. Don't believe it is just a tourist tax because citizens and residents etc.pay it in their airfares too.

Maybe you are the one who can answer this question: What is the name of the government office that (I hope) could provide documentation on the status of the $20.00 exit tax for persons crossing the border into Haiti on foot? I can then go to their website or visit the office in the capital. Here is my problem: If this is a required tax for someone in my position, why have I never paid it and still managed to have my passport returned and cross the border? Because I assumed it was corruption, I argued. ~20 times they let me go without paying. This would NEVER happen with the overstay tax and I have never debated that and always paid that. In the case of an air ticket, the matter is resolved. But there is ambiguity in my situation that still makes me feel uncertain about whether I should just bite the bullet and pay the $20.00--or not. If I could get an official opinion on this, preferably written documentation, then that would settle the matter for me.