Bachata Dancing In La Romana

bachatero1201

Nov 29, 2015
We're going on a cruise from March 18-26 and La Romana will be one of the stops on Tuesday, March 21st. The ship will be docked from 9am-4pm and we would like do (or squeeze in) some bachata dancing with the locals for a few hours.

Any recommendations on specific places (beaches, bars, car wash, el colmado, etc.) in La Romana and surrounding areas?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
This is the Dominican Republic. No matter where you go, or where you are at, you will find somebody to dance with you. Especially bachata.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Might be tough though based on your limited times (Tuesday between 9am-4pm).
 I'm not familiar with la Romana, but have traveled almost everywhere else all over the island. I don't think I've ever come across a venue with dancing that early on a weekday?
 Evenings?......7 nights a week!
Afternoons......Saturday and definitely Sundays!
But on a Tuesday morning/early afternoon??? Not so much.

Hope you enjoy your trip though?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Might be tough though based on your limited times (Tuesday between 9am-4pm).
 I'm not familiar with la Romana, but have traveled almost everywhere else all over the island. I don't think I've ever come across a venue with dancing that early on a weekday?
 Evenings?......7 nights a week!
Afternoons......Saturday and definitely Sundays!
But on a Tuesday morning/early afternoon??? Not so much.

Hope you enjoy your trip though?

All they have to do is hit the first colmado they see, tell them they are there to drink and dance....and Boom!. Of course, it won't be a discoteca (due to the hours), but any place that is open, that serves cold Presidente or Brugal will do. The OP mentioned a carwash, so they obviously know a thing or two, and they're just looking to have fun. I'm not sure where the ship is docking, La Romana yes, precisely no, but I would imagine very close to that port would be some drinking establishments.

bachatero1201

Nov 29, 2015
Thank you sanpedrogringo and Timotero for the replies. I believe the port is at (or by) Casa de Campo Marina and based on research and reviews, I think we will be spending most of our time at the Playa Bayahibe or Playa Dominicus area. As far as establishments are concerned, does Bayahibe or Dominicus have similar establishments to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-FnesNU5w)...is this in Caleta by any chance?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In Bayahibe village you can dance bachata the whole day in front of the Cafeteria where the boats leave for Saona. The girls from the Cafeteria will help you refresh your Bachata :) Your can also try the colmado in the Center, 200 m away, they play all the day bachata.

bachatero1201

Nov 29, 2015
I'll inbox you.

My privileges are still limited/no access to private messages as I don't have 10 posts yet.

In Bayahibe village you can dance bachata the whole day in front of the Cafeteria where the boats leave for Saona. The girls from the Cafeteria will help you refresh your Bachata :) Your can also try the colmado in the Center, 200 m away, they play all the day bachata.

Thank you, that is awesome. Will definitely check these out.

As for a 'refresher', I go dancing on a bi-weekly basis but a lot of the girls up here in Canada cannot follow authentic/traditional (or atleast it doesn't feel right or the same way as when I'm dancing with a girl that knows) since they're all about the 'sensual', turn patterns, etc. bs. We went out a couple of times when we were in Puerto Plata back in 2015 and had an amazing time. So I'm looking forward to dancing with the locals once again.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I tried sending you a private message, but you don't have the prerequisite number of postings to receive them. I haven't been to Caleta since 2014, but it was a small, enjoyable location with locals. A one road in, one road out type of place. Not many tourists. Come to thing of it, when I was there, I may have been the only non-Dominican. It's also more of a weekend spot, as of course, most are working on weekdays. There were several shoreline "Plate of the Day" and fried fish locations. At the end of the path was a bar with several pool tables, music, and a few waitresses. This place resembles the location in the video provided, but again you would only see that on a weekend. Also, as I remember they close things down in Caleta at around 6 or 7pm.
I believe the previous post by Salsafan is 100% spot on. Bayahibe village would be a more enjoyable location for you, especially for the day and time you will be there. It's more in line with what I recommended above. Almost all of my favorite moments over the years in DR have occurred in smaller locations such as colmados, cafeterias, and small restaurants
So, all in all, I'm with Salsafan, but remember....don't buy sunglasses in Bayahibe.

bachatero1201

Nov 29, 2015
I tried sending you a private message, but you don't have the prerequisite number of postings to receive them. I haven't been to Caleta since 2014, but it was a small, enjoyable location with locals. A one road in, one road out type of place. Not many tourists. Come to thing of it, when I was there, I may have been the only non-Dominican. It's also more of a weekend spot, as of course, most are working on weekdays. There were several shoreline "Plate of the Day" and fried fish locations. At the end of the path was a bar with several pool tables, music, and a few waitresses. This place resembles the location in the video provided, but again you would only see that on a weekend. Also, as I remember they close things down in Caleta at around 6 or 7pm.
I believe the previous post by Salsafan is 100% spot on. Bayahibe village would be a more enjoyable location for you, especially for the day and time you will be there. It's more in line with what I recommended above. Almost all of my favorite moments over the years in DR have occurred in smaller locations such as colmados, cafeterias, and small restaurants
So, all in all, I'm with Salsafan, but remember....don't buy sunglasses in Bayahibe.

Thank you for all the info. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
As they say, if you go down by the sea in Bayahibe, there are several small bars and things - you will find something to do. And, the people working around there will be happy to help you have a good time. Always. Dominicus, on the other hand is dead. Don't waste your time. Not that it doesn't have other redeeming qualities : )

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you sanpedrogringo and Timotero for the replies. I believe the port is at (or by) Casa de Campo Marina and based on research and reviews, I think we will be spending most of our time at the Playa Bayahibe or Playa Dominicus area. As far as establishments are concerned, does Bayahibe or Dominicus have similar establishments to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-FnesNU5w)...is this in Caleta by any chance?

La Caleta is in Boca Chica