Old Bay

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Is there any place to purchase old bay seasoning salt in Santiago or do I need to pack two or three cans of it.

May 29, 2006
I'll be bringing down another one pound can. I use it in my wing sauce:

32oz Tapitio or other hot sauce
5oz can Chipotle Peppers
1/4C-1/2C Old Bay

Buzz in blender. Enough for 10 pounds of wings.

I want to try it in guacamole.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have bought it in Santiago years ago.

In the next few days I will try to check in the various supermercados here.
(La Sirena, Bravo, Naticional, La Fuente and Jumbo)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's so special about it? i saw few people ask about it here and briefly contemplated purchase when i saw it in la sirena once but it was pricey so ultimately i did not buy. worth it?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
what's so special about it? i saw few people ask about it here and briefly contemplated purchase when i saw it in la sirena once but it was pricey so ultimately i did not buy. worth it?

Have you ever had Maryland Blue Claw Crabs?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I've used it for years and I don't feel it is that special, particularly when you can blend your own from a mix of spices and seasonings.
Having said that, there's this joint in west palm beach who I intend to write and have them ship me some of their seasonings. Its owned by Iranians.... go figure.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Have you ever had Maryland Blue Claw Crabs?

Put in the steamer pot while still alive (and blue). Pour in vinegar and beer. Liberally shake on Old Bay, then turn the heat up to high. After a few minutes their done (built in timer - they turn red!). 
Drain, crack, dig the meat out with your fingers and enjoy. (Back fin lumps are the best!) 
And don't forget to wash down with ice cold cerveza........cools the bite from the Old Bay. 

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Put in the steamer pot while still alive (and blue). Pour in vinegar and beer. Liberally shake on Old Bay, then turn the heat up to high. After a few minutes their done (built in timer - they turn red!). 
Drain, crack, dig the meat out with your fingers and enjoy. (Back fin lumps are the best!) 
And don't forget to wash down with ice cold cerveza........cools the bite from the Old Bay. 

Que???
I'm not going to call you the "P" word, but I use the Zatarains concentrated shrimp and crab boil; and sparingly.It'll have you talking to Jesus

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Trust me. It is special.

The female crabs have the Jefferson monument on their shells and the males have the Washington monument. Although at this point in US history, don't count on any of it.

When you go to a real crab-house in Maryland, they cover the table with newspaper, they give you chin-to-lap bibs, wooden hammers, and a sh*t ton o' crabs. You order pitchers o' beer and attack the crustaceans.

It is a visceral and intensely satisfying culinary experience.

Unforch: it take 3-5 days before the Old Bay removes itself from one's personal perfume.