Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Haitians will take over Dominican SW province ‘soon’

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RV429 View Post
    Wow, this topic really brings out the best of hating.
    "Reply with Quote" Steve brings his Trumpet, Buster brings his shade of 1930's Germany, and Sushi's Dad hits the Blame Clinton button.
    What's next, a blame Barry Obama post?
    Why not?

2. Dislikes Meemselle disliked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    It's the New World Order, dude! Thank the Clintons and all for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by RV429 View Post
    Wow, this topic really brings out the best of hating.
    "Reply with Quote" Steve brings his Trumpet, Buster brings his shade of 1930's Germany, and Sushi's Dad hits the Blame Clinton button.
    What's next, a blame Barry Obama post?
    Quote Originally Posted by hard times doug View Post
    Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    Why not?
    RV429 is right. Keep it DR related or the wooden spoon comes out. 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes GringoRubio liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    RV429 is right. Keep it DR related or the wooden spoon comes out. 
    If anything, what happens next as in massive Haitian deportations will show that recent "Gringo Roundup" was done so the DR officials save face and is not in "retaliation" for anything being done outside the DR.

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    If anything, what happens next as in massive Haitian deportations will show that recent "Gringo Roundup" was done so the DR officials save face and is not in "retaliation" for anything being done outside the DR.
    Retaliation or not. The DR as a sovereign nation has the right to deport whoever is illegal according to their laws. I feel for the average Haitian because it's the fault of their government and the other foreign governments and NGOs who have a vested interest in Haiti remaining a failed state.

8. Likes sanpedrogringo, spmc liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    Retaliation or not. The DR as a sovereign nation has the right to deport whoever is illegal according to their laws.

Yes.
    I feel for the average Haitian because it's the fault of their government and the other foreign governments and NGOs who have a vested interest in Haiti remaining a failed state.
    There is something that continually goes wrong and never gets corrected about Haiti.

10. Likes cbmitch9, sanpedrogringo, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is something that continually goes wrong and never gets corrected about Haiti.
    I agree with you.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Sometimes it seems like a world wide plan to move around people groups and bring colliding cultures together. 

folding my tin foil hat
    That's because life is boring. Excitement needs to be created and what better way than a humanitarian crisis with an endless blame game of he said, she said.

Moderator Polls Forum

13. Likes Derfish liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    That's because life is boring. Excitement needs to be created and what better way than a humanitarian crisis with an endless blame game of he said, she said.
    ???????
    While the Haitian people suffer? Yes, I know, I may sound like 1001 contradictions rolled into one, but....
    Hmmm, you're giving me an idea for a new thread. Where it goes, I don't know.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

In part because Haiti's political class has zero desire to change things.

In part because they have become experts at taking a mess and making it a bigger mess. The Haitian government has over 200 years under their belt doing just that. You can't teach new tricks to an old dog sort of thing.

In part because the DR is right next to them with all that land.

I remember reading an old letter once where a group of high class Haitian mulattoes clamoured to the then French Ambassador in helping them turn the eastern part of the island into a refuge for the mulattoes wishing to get away from the threats of the blacks.

This also brings to mind what supposedly Thomas Jefferson (one of the founding fathers of the USA) once said: Lets make sure that mess (aka, the Haitian Revolution) stays on that island.

Even before the Haitians took over their part of the island and sent the French either away or a few feet underground, the French often wrote of how much more superior they were than the Spaniards of the east and that was more than enough reason to justify why they should had the entire island to themselves. They said that the French knew how to make the most use of the island while the Spaniards lived a life resembling a 'vegetable' where the entire focus of life was worrying of the afterlife (religion was the centerpiece of life on the eastern part of the island). While the Spaniards lived a tranquil and modest life revolving around simple pleasures and religion, the French saw that immense territory with dollar signs all over the place, if only they had control of it to make those dollar signs a reality in their pockets.

There's this French guy named Weuves (if anyone know where I can find a copy of his writings about the island, let me know; I have only read about him in writings by various Spaniards/Dominicans from colonial times) that was cited saying that he felt disgusted every time he had to visit the Spanish part of the island for business, because the Spaniards thought nothing about having people of color in several political positions and even as priests. According to Weuves, that was one of the reasons why the Spanish part was so much poorer than the French part, all those impure people 'in control of the first orders of society'. The French part was under a completely white government, hence kept things prosperous, according to him. He even criticized the relaxed treatment the Spaniards gave their slaves, treating them as if they were people instead of mere property; and he hated the fact that Spanish law stipulated that any runaway slave from the French part was free as soon as they stepped on Spanish (now Dominican) soil and couldn't be forced back into slavery nor returned to their French owners.

In the end, the 'superiority' of the French did wonders in creating one huge mess. And, of course, the poor Spaniards on the eastern side were left with the broken plates.

Now that's what I call a f**ked up deal. Cleaning up someone else's mess. Not cool, but it has been going on for a long time and modern signs suggest it will not end soon. For many around the world that are aware of the existence of the island, the DR is Haiti's solution. No one is thinking what would happen if the DR was to degrade to the level of Haiti. What territory will become the solution to the island?

Aaah, those crickets do sound nice. LOL

Moderator Polls Forum

16. Likes cobraboy, Sylvie Chartier, airgordo liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thomas Jefferson was right.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast