New law aims to get rid of vehicle "heaps"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
New law aims to get rid of vehicle heaps

Santo Domingo.- For the third time in as many decades, the Dominican Republic embarks on the titanic task of replacing the vehicle park in public and cargo transport as stipulated in the recently approved law to reorganize the sector.

The effort has precedents in the early 1990s with the creation of the ONATRATE bus system, and later in 2003, with Plan Renove, both initiatives ending in mass corruption and convicted and jailed transport sector leaders.

The new law sets a 10-year deadline for the newly created National Transit and Ground Transport Institute (INTRANT) to “gradually withdraw” the heaps called vehicles.

The various types of passenger and cargo vehicles in bad condition must be removed from Internal Taxes’ (DGII) National Motor Vehicle Registry and “immediately demolished by INTRANT,” the new law stipulates.

The Executive Branch must enforce the law “until reaching the maximum established lifespan,” of 15 years for light vehicles of up to four passengers; 17 years, for minibuses of five to 20 passengers; 20 years, for minibuses from 21 to 26 passengers; 25 years, for buses from 37 passengers onwards; 30 years for heavy vehicles and 10 years for motorcycles.

Source: DT

Feb 14, 2017

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
and the new helmet law is working great ......I spotted two people with their helmets on today ...big inmprovement...not so much of an improvement on the stopping at a red light ...actually saw ten vehicles in a row go through a red light on avenida luperon sunday ...did not even slow down

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Baby steps. It is going to take a long time. And what about the moto concho union threatening to ring the presidents house over their new rules?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
and the new helmet law is working great ......I spotted two people with their helmets on today ...big inmprovement...not so much of an improvement on the stopping at a red light ...actually saw ten vehicles in a row go through a red light on avenida luperon sunday ...did not even slow down

To a Dominican a red light is like a bull fighters cape. Charge forward, never retreat. Slow down, are you kidding me. That is un-Dominican. You will find no courtesy, little regard for others driving or walking. It is dog eat dog, survival of the fitest, the largest vehicle has the right of way and move over rover. I have said it before but many times it is like being in a real time video game. Yesssss... do you want to play your money or your life...........