Window Air Conditioners

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Anyone know of a store or ferreteria in Santo Domingo that sell the window installation type of ac units and has seen them there. Looking for a small unit of about 4,000-5,000 btu, no more than 18 inches wide.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Pricesmart usually has them.

I had one years ago. I ran it with my inverter but kept the temp a little on the warm side (27) to avoid a lot of compressor use.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Pricesmart usually has them.

I had one years ago. I ran it with my inverter but kept the temp a little on the warm side (27) to avoid a lot of compressor use.

You were lucky. A couple of years ago, I fell asleep one afternoon with one of ours running. Lost power, inverter kicked in, and the AC blew up the inverter. Expensive nap. 

Now we have two street-power-only outlets for the AC. 

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I got one of these from a Canadian neighbor who brought it from Canada many years ago (part of luggage I think), it's very small but low power (I think it is 5000Btu and 500W, 110v), it cools a small room comfortably with little consumption. The only problem for me is that it is a bit noisy and it takes a good 20+ minutes before it really manages to cool a hot room (but I must say it is a hot room exposed to the sun from every angle).

It also sits on the window edge, so half of it hangs out of the window, exposed to the sun and rain, so far so good, but not sure how long it will last.

I use it only occasionally in a hot afternoon/evening, they are mainly replaced by the split systems now, hard to find, but the small ones hardly need any installation, sit on window edge, plug and go, good for occasional use.

Some reviews here:

http://bestreviews.com/best-window-air-conditioners