LA ROMANA PASSES LAW FOR DRIVERS WHO THROW TRASH

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
La Romana passes law that drivers who throw trash from their vehicles will be fined $10,000 pesos plus 72 hours in prison.It's about time.Hopefully this law will be passed in the rest of the provinces.

They should make the drivers do community service such as picking up the trash on the side of the road.

LA ROMANA, República Dominicana.- El ayuntamiento municipal de la Sala Capitular y la asociación de Camioneros realizaron en la mañana de hoy un operativo de limpieza en las entradas de la ciudad de esta provincia para tratar de eliminar una gran cantidad de basura que se encontraban en las vías de acceso y cerca del distribuidor de la Autovía el Coral .

El Presidente de la Sala Capitular del ayuntamiento de La Romana, Ramón Rosario, expresó que las personas que sean encontradas tirando desechos en las calles serán sometidos a la justicia y tendrán que pagar la suma 10,000.00 y 72 horas de prisión.

Afirmó que esas zonas serán vigiladas por miembros de la Policía Nacional y otras instituciones, para evitar que desaprensivos sigan realizando dicha prácticas.

Translation:

LA ROMANA, Dominican Republic.- The municipal City Hall of the Sala Capitular and the association of Truck Drivers carried out today in the morning a clean-up operation at the entrances of the city of this province to try to eliminate a large amount of garbage that were in the entrance way and close to the distributor of the Highway Coral .

The President of the Sala Capitular of the town hall of La Romana, Ramon Rosario, said that the people who are found throwing litter in the streets will be brought to justice, and will have to pay the sum 10,000.00 pesos and 72 hours in prison.

He stated that these areas will be monitored by members of the National Police and other institutions, to prevent unscrupulous continuation of such practices.

http://noticiassin.com/2017/02/some...ren-basura-en-las-vias-publicas-de-la-romana/

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Bani used to have a garbage tossing law, as well as the municipality of San Juan de la Maguana, and it wasn't limited to passing vehicles. All garbage tossers or dumpers, people walking down the street as well. I'm not sure what the fine schedules were, but everybody knew that the police could take you in for the offense. That was enough of a deterrent. This was as of 2013.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
need this too in Sosua especially for La Mulata every day more trash thrown on the side of the road.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We need a clampdown like this on the taxi and minibus drivers in Punta Cana and Bávaro too.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
this should be countrywide ...for all trash droppers
but there is a big difference between making laws and enforcing laws.....these fines alone could buy new jeeps for all the big boys

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
La Romana passes law that drivers who throw trash from their vehicles will be fined $10,000 pesos plus 72 hours in prison.It's about time.Hopefully this law will be passed in the rest of the provinces.

They should make the drivers do community service such as picking up the trash on the side of the road.

LA ROMANA, República Dominicana.- El ayuntamiento municipal de la Sala Capitular y la asociación de Camioneros realizaron en la mañana de hoy un operativo de limpieza en las entradas de la ciudad de esta provincia para tratar de eliminar una gran cantidad de basura que se encontraban en las vías de acceso y cerca del distribuidor de la Autovía el Coral .

El Presidente de la Sala Capitular del ayuntamiento de La Romana, Ramón Rosario, expresó que las personas que sean encontradas tirando desechos en las calles serán sometidos a la justicia y tendrán que pagar la suma 10,000.00 y 72 horas de prisión.

Afirmó que esas zonas serán vigiladas por miembros de la Policía Nacional y otras instituciones, para evitar que desaprensivos sigan realizando dicha prácticas.

Translation:

LA ROMANA, Dominican Republic.- The municipal City Hall of the Sala Capitular and the association of Truck Drivers carried out today in the morning a clean-up operation at the entrances of the city of this province to try to eliminate a large amount of garbage that were in the entrance way and close to the distributor of the Highway Coral .

The President of the Sala Capitular of the town hall of La Romana, Ramon Rosario, said that the people who are found throwing litter in the streets will be brought to justice, and will have to pay the sum 10,000.00 pesos and 72 hours in prison.

He stated that these areas will be monitored by members of the National Police and other institutions, to prevent unscrupulous continuation of such practices.

http://noticiassin.com/2017/02/some...ren-basura-en-las-vias-publicas-de-la-romana/

Put up signs, and enforce it. The signs should read, your mother is not here to pickup after you, you lazy slob! Why are people such jerks when it comes to trash. It is like this all over the world. Let me leave my trash here. Someone else will come along and pick up after me. When I lived in LT I would walk Las Ballenas Beach with a garbage bag and pick up after people who left bottles, food containers and assorted other crap. Bring it in, take it out. It is really that simple. People throwing trash from car windows are the laziest bunch of good for nothings in the world. I would have them have to wear a T-Shirt that says I am trash and have to do community service picking up garbage. I would be nice to them and give them a stick with a nail at the end. Have at it ___holes.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The laws are on the book in The DR just like in any developed country. The difference is they're not enforced...the first ones to break the laws are those tasked with enforcing them and who makes THEM accountable? How may times have you seen an AMET riding without a helmet, a cop throwing trash on the streets, etc, etc...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Great news!

I was following a truck outside Azua on Saturday that threw a styro box from his window and some of the contents hit me.

Bastard!

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Put up signs, and enforce it. The signs should read, your mother is not here to pickup after you, you lazy slob! Why are people such jerks when it comes to trash. It is like this all over the world. Let me leave my trash here. Someone else will come along and pick up after me. When I lived in LT I would walk Las Ballenas Beach with a garbage bag and pick up after people who left bottles, food containers and assorted other crap. Bring it in, take it out. It is really that simple. People throwing trash from car windows are the laziest bunch of good for nothings in the world. I would have them have to wear a T-Shirt that says I am trash and have to do community service picking up garbage. I would be nice to them and give them a stick with a nail at the end. Have at it ___holes.

Well said Steve, I hate litterbugs with a passion. At least in developed nations, they hire people to clean up the streets, but in poor countries it just stacks up into mounds of garbage. If it was not for tourists, the whole country would be a trash dump. In the middle east, their reasoning for littering is " Insha Allah" if God willed it, it will get cleaned up, oh brother.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Great news!

I was following a truck outside Azua on Saturday that threw a styro box from his window and some of the contents hit me.

Bastard!

For a minute there Cobra, I thought you were giving us the "great news" that you got hit with trash....... Phew, that was close.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In addition to littering laws, they need to do a better job with  garbage pickup and control too.  

For example, we were in San Cristobal last week, certainly not the garden spot of DR to begin with. We came upon a garbage truck, stopped and blocking the lane, as workers were bending down and picking up garbage to toss it in. As we finally passed, we saw there was a large dumpster there, trash piled a couple of feet higher than the sides. They were manually picking up the messy overflow.  Add another dumpster?  Pick up more frequently?  

Nahhhhhh

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
In addition to littering laws, they need to do a better job with  garbage pickup and control too.  

For example, we were in San Cristobal last week, certainly not the garden spot of DR to begin with. We came upon a garbage truck, stopped and blocking the lane, as workers were bending down and picking up garbage to toss it in. As we finally passed, we saw there was a large dumpster there, trash piled a couple of feet higher than the sides. They were manually picking up the messy overflow.  Add another dumpster?  Pick up more frequently?  

Nahhhhhh
It's the same in San Pedro. There's more garbage in the street, AFTER the truck passes.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I saw a shopkeeper on the conde one time sweep his garbage out onto the street......no intention of sweeping it up
his good deed done for the day

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Nahhhhhh

I have to say that here in Santiago (I think it's due to the new mayor) the garbage pick up has been more frequent and complete. There is a noticeable improvement. I commend them and hope they keep at it. (I also see the street cleaners on a weekly basis).
Like many of you I complain enough about things so I like to acknowledge the good I see at times as well.