haiti prison hell

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Sorry to say, but Haiti is the bung-hole of the Caribbean. Very sad situation when money ends up in the wrong hands in a corrupt system. When will it end?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sorry to say, but Haiti is the bung-hole of the Caribbean. Very sad situation when money ends up in the wrong hands in a corrupt system. When will it end?

Prisons in developing country are rarely glamorous.

Am I the only fan of Locked abroad ? ? :smoke:

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Prisons are prisons, not a holiday camp (like in the UK) where inmates get PlayStation consuls, 3 meals a day (buffet) and satellite TV.
This sends out a clear message to wannabe criminals.

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
good article. I only wish Haiti was a developing country. Having inhumane conditions in prison does absolutely nothing to deter criminals any more than the death penalty deters premeditated murder. 

Last edited by a moderator:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"Locked up abroad" is a interesting show and be willing to bet it has discouraged some would be smugglers.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
At least they have cots. The jail in PP they stuff 30+ men in a very small room - they are literally sitting on top of each other, sleeping in their own ****. When I saw that it shocked me. Interesting seeing a Dom. news site speaking on deplorable conditions in the prison in Haiti - maybe they should give some local prisons some coverage.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Let's send Frank12 to Haiti and get him incarcerated. Rather than pictures he could tell us about the smells, noise and fellow inmates.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Deleted by moderator. Keep US politics out of here

Last edited by a moderator:

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
....."This is the hell, being locked up in Haiti makes you crazy if it does not kill you before," says Vangeliste Bazile. He is among the 80 per cent of the detainees, who have not yet been condemned, but sit in prolonged examinations and wait for their chance to see a judge. In some cases, this may take up to eight years."...............
(translation from :Spiegel.de)

more fotos:
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/h...lage-in-gefaengnissen-fotostrecke-145225.html

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Prisons are prisons, not a holiday camp

generally, i agree. prison should be hell. the problem with haitian jails, as outlined in the article is that 80% of all prisoners are there on preventive terms, so to speak: they have been arrested in regards to whatever crime - regardless of their guilt - and they had no chance to even see a judge, present statement, see the evidence. sometimes they can be in such limbo for years.

which brings the main point: that the only way to get out of jail is by paying money, again - regardless of guilt.

so yeah, prison should be hell. but only for those who actually committed crimes.

At least they have cots. The jail in PP they stuff 30+ men in a very small room - they are literally sitting on top of each other, sleeping in their own ****. When I saw that it shocked me. Interesting seeing a Dom. news site speaking on deplorable conditions in the prison in Haiti - maybe they should give some local prisons some coverage.

you are talking about preventive jail, behind PN building. indeed, deplorable conditions, as has been reported, frequently, by local media. regular jail, fortaleza san felipe, is "new model" and is allegedly fairly decent, as far as dominican jails go. i cannot say for sure as i have only visited female "new model" jail and it was... interesting experience...

there was a series of articles in listin diario a while ago about la victoria, most notorious of dominican jails. i posted it on dr1.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What on earth is the reasoning behind "prisons should be hell"? Some sort of revenge? Humanity stops at the prison door? Poorly run prisons only encourage inmates rise to power and victimization of fellow inmates. How about innocent people in jails? Happens fairly often in first world countries. I can only guess how many innocent people are in third world prisons. It does not need to be a country club but decent food, medical care and humane conditions seem reasonable.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Prisons in developing country are rarely glamorous.

Am I the only fan of Locked abroad ? ? :smoke:

If you are a fan of that show find and rent the movie Midnight Express. Great movie from the 70's about a guy that was found guilty of drug smuggling and went to prison in Turkey. Scare you straight.
"

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If you are a fan of that show find and rent the movie Midnight Express. Great movie from the 70's about a guy that was found guilty of drug smuggling and went to prison in Turkey. Scare you straight.
"
steve I was going to post that...........about midnight express, you did first, good job............

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
two comments - when i lived in Haiti back in the days of Baby Doc - the place was known as one with absolute security for tourists because there was essentially zero crime against tourists for the simple reason that theft was punishable by imprisonment and there was no food given in the prison unless the prisoner's family supplied it. Nevertheless, on my first day tat my outpost (working for a diving operation) outside of St Marc) my purse with my $60 meant for supply purchases in town - was taken by two tall men, walking down the beach. I gave them a hearty chase but then thought again - what would I do if I caught them? The owner of the "resort" - a couple of cabins on the hill and a restuarant - was sent for once the day staff came in - and he said we would go to the police. I said it was not my country- $60 was a lot of money to me then but it was more than he would see in a month, right? "It is more than he will see in a lifetime!" I was told. "And if he goes to prison, he will probably die there, right?" "Right". "Well, $60 is not worth a man's life/" .. the story goes on..

Second story - a few years ago, say back in 2008? maybe even before? There was a rash of hangings down in Grand Anse.. the people were simply tired of people going into the national jail and being let out again.. so they would not bother to even turn them into the police -- they just hung them when they caught them.

so.. bad as things might seem in prison in Haiti now.. the mere fact that there is food being given.. well.. that is better than under Baby Doc...
and there are people IN prison... that, too.. is perhaps better than it was