El Belico for new firearms pickup

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone know the address for, the closest town to or directions to El Belico where one goes to pickup their new firearms purchase?

Thx.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
From years ago !!!!

As you drive into SD, coming from the north coast. There is the toll road. The one where you dont pay driving to SD ( but still drive through empty booths ), you only pay coming back from SD....... if u see what I mean. :)

So driving towards SD, on a dual carridge way, you can see on the left side of the road a military camp with a small model of a tank in front of it, it cant be missed.

Sorry, from there, my memory fails. There is a road nearby. I had asked some military guys around there, and gotten directions. Its like hard  to find, its a small, small road throught the woods.

Not very helpful, hope some 1 else chimes in ;)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's a start. Thx. I've seen the empty toll booths on my many bus trips. I have also been looking out the window a couple of times when passing a military base with a tank, helicopter and one or two other military vehicles parked on the lawn as show pieces. 

I'll be trying to get there on my way back from SD.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Anyone know the address for, the closest town to or directions to El Belico where one goes to pickup their new firearms purchase?

Thx.
The entrance gate of this compound is at about 2,5 – 3 km. from the Duarte highway.
Coming from the north, turn left at the traffic lights at Pedro Brand ( 1 km before the toll ).
Coming from SD, turn right.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
When all your permits are in order and you have them. You go to the military armory in Pedro Brand. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years.

West Northwest of the toll on the Autopista where the tanks are. Go right and going Northeast at the intersection on Calli las Mercedes. This is a large intersection so easy to find. This road is rough so takes some time to go about the 1.75 miles to the entrance of the armory on your right. Park are directed. You're on your own after that.

You can Google earth and enter the location.
18°35'24.55"N
70° 4'47.56"W

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I looked it up on the map. Now that I have the place narrowed down to a specific area, I'll be fine. Earlier today I just knew it was somewhere between Bonao and SD. Everyone has been very helpful. 

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Tip: when you received your gun and leaving the military area going back to the highway, don’t stop for anybody ( only animals ) because they know why you were there.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Tip: when you received your gun and leaving the military area going back to the highway, don’t stop for anybody ( only animals ) because they know why you were there.

They sell ammunition at the armory. The weapon should have a manual with it for a quick guide on it's operation if you are not familiar with the one that you are picking up. So a couple of minutes before you leave the armory and you can be ready for action. Not that I think you will have any problems at all.

9mm usually come in a pack of 50. 12 gauge in a box of 25 with different loads. Bird shot is the heaviest they have. I bought while I was their to save a trip. Years ago.

I did buy 2 extra clips, a double clip holder and a cleaning kit for my 9mm in S.D., not far from the ballistics lab. I ordered the holster I wanted on Amazon. I also ordered a shotgun scabbard from Amazon.

I don't know if they have any of those things for sale at the armory. I can give location on the gun store area in S.D. if you need.

Question? If you got a 9mm, did they already do the ballistics for your permit or do you have to go have that done to get the final permit? Same for a shotgun, not for ballistics but both need to be verified for serial numbers that are on the permit.

Perhaps a quick step by step with buying a new weapon. Thanks.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If you are stopped?

Perhaps others can comment too.

I've been stopped twice while driving and having my 9mm concealed in the car. Both times were normal check stops and they were going through some of the cars. I showed them my paper that had copies of: My passport information page, car insurance; both sides of my residence ID, Cedula, drivers lic., pistol/shotgun permits and my attorneys' business cards.

Perhaps having so much information on one sheet of paper was a real plus? Perhaps the Guzmán Ariza law firm card along with another well know firm caught their attention?

I was free to go without any problems.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Perhaps a quick step by step with buying a new weapon. Thanks.

The process hasn't changed much over the years, but the attitude inside the Ministerio certainly has. 

Process for purchasing a new firearm:

1) Go the armeria of your choice and buy what you want.
2a) Have the armeria walk you through all the paperwork, medical, psych and firearm proficiency tests (prob. for a fee)
2b) Do everything above yourself.
3) Pay taxes and fees at BanReserva
4) Turn all the paperwork, receipts, photos in at the Ministerio
5) Pray while you wait

This is not my first license but it has been the most challenging. I'd swear, "they" really don't want gringos to have guns. Every time the minster changes or there is an election lots of employees get shuffled. If an application manages to get some momentum and is working its way through the process at a snails pace, a change of staff, a significant holiday such as Christmas or an election brings everything to a halt. It may take awhile for inertia to be overcome again.

I live too far from SD to physically demonstrate that my will to pursue the process far outstrips their ability to thwart me, but they can and often do make you work for every small incremental victory. If you are able, you should stand in front of them every two or three months and demand to know what's been done, what's left to be done and to let them know you'll be back in the near future to see what progress has been made. This is where the often heard, "waiting for the interpol check" excuse comes in to play. I haven't heard of a foreigner starting and finishing the licensing process in much less than a year in quite awhile. 

If you are persistent, more than patient and apply just enough external pressure, you'll get your license, eventually.