Marcha Verde: the day of wearing green

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
did not see too many people wearing green ...I thought a lot more people would have donned the green to show their displeasure with all the corruption

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
did not see too many people wearing green ...I thought a lot more people would have donned the green to show their displeasure with all the corruption

It's not St.Paddy's day yet? Two kinds of people, those who are Irish and those who want to be. Now, break into a jig.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's not St.Paddy's day yet? Two kinds of people, those who are Irish and those who want to be. Now, break into a jig.

If you had a clue about what's going on in DR, you'd know it's the color of the anti corruption group here. Marches all over the country.  

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
isn't it ironic, that the people who sign the book and march dressed in green are the very same people who'd be the first to pass few hundred pesos to AMET after caught committing traffic infractions? the same people who employ maids and gardeners illegally? the same people who "fix" the books to pay less taxes because they get "nothing back"? the same people who impregnate fifteen year olds? the same people who pollute streets and residential areas with loud music? the same people who pool some money to get their murderer son/brother out of jail because he is "padre de familia, buen cristiano, trabajador"? the same people who continuously break the law, the same people who commit crimes and infractions and hope to get away with it after small payoff?

i spit on their pathetic green bullcrap. lousy two-faced liars.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
isn't it ironic, that the people who sign the book and march dressed in green are the very same people who'd be the first to pass few hundred pesos to AMET after caught committing traffic infractions? the same people who employ maids and gardeners illegally? the same people who "fix" the books to pay less taxes because they get "nothing back"? the same people who impregnate fifteen year olds? the same people who pollute streets and residential areas with loud music? the same people who pool some money to get their murderer son/brother out of jail because he is "padre de familia, buen cristiano, trabajador"? the same people who continuously break the law, the same people who commit crimes and infractions and hope to get away with it after small payoff?

It has to start somewhere. To me it's a big difference between passing 100 pesos to a cop and the millions (maybe billions) of dollars - not pesos- stolen through corruption at the highest levels.

I like seeing grass roots effort, at least they're not oblivious sheep as in the past. 

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you had a clue about what's going on in DR, you'd know it's the color of the anti corruption group here. Marches all over the country.  

some can only see into their pina colada

Last edited by a moderator:

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

painting them all with the one brush hardly seems reasonable....at least some are trying to stop the blatant robbing of billions and speaking up
I spit on your do nothing approach

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Riva, a Dominican voice on this matter counts many thousand times more than the expats who always deride your country.

Pity the march in January never made it as a topic for discussion on the forum when perhaps more than a hundred thousand normal non political souls thronged the capital streets which was massive by any degree anywhere in the world.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

A AE take a chill pill. AS a SUPER MOD you should show a little more courtesy to people. I fully understand the orignial post. Sorry if you can't take a joke. Speaking of which, corruption + DR go hand in hand. People can protest all they want but when it continually gets buried at the highest levels.... off with their heads.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nothing much has been said in these forums about the Marcha Verde - Green March - in the past few months, but the marches have been growing in size. Have any of you witnessed or participated in one?

Tomorrow there will be a Marcha Verde in New York City. Green march organizers expect thousands of people will attend Sunday's demonstration of protest against impunity, corruption and encourage Odebrecht's departure from the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And another big one in Santo Domingo tomorrow:

computer translated: [see link for map of the march]

Green March says they have everything ready for national Sunday concentration

Santo Domingo
The Green March reported yesterday that all the logistical and organizational details are ready to guarantee that the mobilization of this Sunday July 16 will be multitudinous, civic, family and exemplary.

According to the movement, the national march will begin at 10:00 a.m., at the intersection of John F. Kennedy avenues with Máximo Gómez, will take Simón Bolívar Street and connect to Jiménez Moya to finish in the intermediations of the Center of The Heroes of Constance, Maimon and Estero Hondo.

During the tour, explained the organizers, there will be a wide array of equipment of order, animation and medical attention to ensure a relaxed and familiar atmosphere.

"We hope that Dominicans and Dominicans with a green heart will overshadow the great avenues of the capital, to demonstrate unequivocally that the Dominican people are not willing to continue under the yoke of corruption and impunity," said the convening document.

The Green March called the citizenship to become the guarantor of exemplary behavior, avoiding throwing garbage on the public road and collaborating with anyone who needs it during the protest.

In the activity the group will make important statements to the country about the Odebrecht case and the political and judicial situation of the country.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...listo-para-concentracion-nacional-del-domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband and son are going to the march in SD tomorrow. As a foreign resident I am not supposed to take part in political activities.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband and son are going to the march in SD tomorrow. As a foreign resident I am not supposed to take part in political activities.

If we were in DR, my husband would probably go too. One of his cousins is very involved in this.

I wasn't aware of restrictions against foreign residents participating, is this a law or a suggestion? (Not that I could ever walk that far anyway, lol)