Working in The DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Does anyone know if a foreigner can form an S.R.L. and legally work in the DR? Is the fact that the S.R.L. is a legal entity sufficient, or is it necessary to also obtain residency or a work visa? Other than the fact that after 30 days one is now considered illegally in the country, is there anything to prevent this?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does anyone know if a foreigner can form an S.R.L. and legally work in the DR? Is the fact that the S.R.L. is a legal entity sufficient, or is it necessary to also obtain residency or a work visa? Other than the fact that after 30 days one is now considered illegally in the country, is there anything to prevent this?
A foreigner can form or invest in an SRL, but residency is still required to legally work.

However, a well-capitalized SRL, not a paper SRL, will help in the residency application process.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A foreigner can form or invest in an SRL, but residency is still required to legally work.

However, a well-capitalized SRL, not a paper SRL, will help in the residency application process.

Just remember the residency process is not a quick one. Could take 6-12 months to complete the process in the DR. Check with a DR Consulate in your home country for all the requirements.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

The minimum you need is a work visa, which is obtained wholly outside of DR. I've gotten mine in the past in as little as 4 business days.

In the past, it was not only good for using the shorter line at the airport, but also avoided any exit fines. That changed around November 2016; I get hit with exit fines every time I leave now. Evidently now a work visa is only good to work in DR, but you can't live here at all on it.

When once I would recommend a work visa, residency is clearly the way to go these days if you must choose to work in DR and you want to do it legally.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The minimum you need is a work visa, which is obtained wholly outside of DR. I've gotten mine in the past in as little as 4 business days.

In the past, it was not only good for using the shorter line at the airport, but also avoided any exit fines. That changed around November 2016; I get hit with exit fines every time I leave now. Evidently now a work visa is only good to work in DR, but you can't live here at all on it.

When once I would recommend a work visa, residency is clearly the way to go these days if you must choose to work in DR and you want to do it legally.
A work vise requires sponsorship with a firm employment contract.

That is not what the OP proposed.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
A work vise requires sponsorship with a firm employment contract.

That is not what the OP proposed.

"or is it necessary to also obtain residency or a work visa?"

The question is posed in the original post, and they are two different documents with two different processes.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Let me give an example. I am more interested in the legality of this, not whether or not it is practical or if there are other ways to do it.

Suppose I form XYZ Computers, S.R.L. Can I legally work here in the DR, advertise and personally do computer repairs for compensation without being a resident?

In general, what can you legally do in the DR as a non-resident owner of an S.R.L. in the DR?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From what I've been able to find out so far, pensioners and retirees are not able to work in the DR with work authorization. Only residents with RT-9 on their cedula are legally allowed to work w/o further authorization.

Also, temporary residents are restricted as to what type of work they can do in the DR. Permanent residents are not. So far, I haven't been able to find out just what the difference is(?).