Moving for a short period

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
Hello DR1 forum,

I just want to say that it is great to be here and that I'm over the moon you guys have a forum!
As you can see from the title I am moving over to the DR for a short period. I had been given a job opportunity that I could not turn down. As an Englishman is there anything you could advise me to bring over with me or is everything I could possibly want already there?

When it comes to the legal sides of things, the company that I work for should be sorting all of that side of things out but, is there anything else that I should be aware of that my company won't do/won't have to do? I will be moving to Santo Domingo for the duration of 7-12 months so I would like my stay to be as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

And last but not least, any tourist sites and things to do on my days off would be awesome! I am really looking forward to checking out the City and beautiful country sides.
Looking forward to some great replies and getting one step closer to your side of the water :)

Thanks, DR1 Forum

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello DR1 forum,

I just want to say that it is great to be here and that I'm over the moon you guys have a forum!
As you can see from the title I am moving over to the DR for a short period. I had been given a job opportunity that I could not turn down. As an Englishman is there anything you could advise me to bring over with me or is everything I could possibly want already there?

When it comes to the legal sides of things, the company that I work for should be sorting all of that side of things out but, is there anything else that I should be aware of that my company won't do/won't have to do? I will be moving to Santo Domingo for the duration of 7-12 months so I would like my stay to be as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

And last but not least, any tourist sites and things to do on my days off would be awesome! I am really looking forward to checking out the City and beautiful country sides.
Looking forward to some great replies and getting one step closer to your side of the water :)

Thanks, DR1 Forum

Do you have a choice of were you will be living? The Colonial Zone is very nice. Once you get settled in either rent a car for the weekend and pick a direction or better yet find a DR girl who will show you all the sights.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
welcome to dr1.com
what a great experience you have coming up .....get out and see the country..go north, south ,east and west
and enjoy your adventure

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There aren't many Brits living in Santo Domingo, but don't worry about that, being apart from too many expats will be a good thing.

Register with the British Embassy at mailto:UK.inDominicanRepublic@fco.gov.uk and they will update you on any events for Brits.

As irishpaddy said and assuming you are a typical adventurous Brit, you will enjoy this country...but not sure about going south from the capital.

The best thing about Santo Domingo is it's location giving you access to all the best parts of the country within a few hours and at times like this long weekend coming up, we hit the road and enjoy.

British investment in the DR is however on the up and only today is news of potential $500m in infrastructure investments. What line of business are you in?

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Josh, good luck! Pack plenty of Oxo's, Galaxy, flakes, Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Mixes, Sage and Onion Stuffing Mixes, Good Oven Gloves, Magic Can Tin Opener......
If I think of anything else I'll post it later

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Josh, good luck! Pack plenty of Oxo's, Galaxy, flakes, Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Mixes, Sage and Onion Stuffing Mixes, Good Oven Gloves, Magic Can Tin Opener......
If I think of anything else I'll post it later

Bisto, Birds Custard Powder, Cadbury Chocolate, Parsnips,Walnut Whips, Branston pickle, and the whole of Marks and Spencer's food hall.

Matilda

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Welcome Josh, you're going to have the time of your life. Do you speak any Spanish? If so, you will realllllyyyyy have the time of your life...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR!

Sounds like you're about to have quite the adventure. As it appears your employer will be taking good care of you, my advice is to learn and actively practice as much Spanish as possible (if you're not fluent) prior to heading out. Even basic conversational Spanish makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Should be a good experience. Spending at least a couple weekends a month at the beach or in the interior of the country makes the grind of the capital less difficult.

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks for the great welcome guys and some brilliant information to get me started off. I have been picking my brains all weekend and it looks like the picking is about to carry on! i will be back when i have some more questions guys! Thanks

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
So far the plans are going really well and straight forward-ish... I have found that life will be a lot easier if I get a little of the Spanish lingo, do you guys recomend a self teaching method, book or online video that could start me off before i get lessons when i get there?

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
After a little extra research, I have found "Mosaicos" it's like a book and a DVD that will step by step teach you the basics of Spanish. Does anyone on here have any experience with that?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
So far the plans are going really well and straight forward-ish... I have found that life will be a lot easier if I get a little of the Spanish lingo, do you guys recomend a self teaching method, book or online video that could start me off before i get lessons when i get there?

Try duolingo.com NO charge and fun.
Der Fish

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello DR1 forum,

Thanks, DR1 Forum

Hello and welcome,

Grettings from San Pedro, I think that first place for visit should be Colonial Zone and relax because in 7 months you will have planty of time to visit the country side. If you are going to drive here just be careful we have our own way to drive, so first try to learn how to drive in Dominican.

If you like the beach Juan Dolio is one of planty of options, and when you decide to go there let me know, that will be a very good excuse to go to the beach for me.

About the Duolingo they also has an app and its very easy to use. Im trying to keep the little bit of french I leraned but usually Im lazy to keep practicing.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After a little extra research, I have found "Mosaicos" it's like a book and a DVD that will step by step teach you the basics of Spanish. Does anyone on here have any experience with that?

Concentrate on salutations, such as, hello, how are you, goodbye.... also numbers and letters and how much your US dollar is worth vs the DR peso so you won't be continually ripped off. Once you get to the DR sign up with someone who can teach you the language basics.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The duolingo.com site looks a lot better than the used Mosaicos book I was planning on getting!

Thanks

JoshH,

for the short term, you can use Google/Translate on your cell phone. It does a reasonable job translating signs, labels, menus, letters, etc. If you are interested, I can help via chat or you can also download the Babbel app for iPhone or Android.

Good luck.

Snowmane72

Jan 4, 2017
This phrase helped me get by the first time I lived in a spanish speaking country:

Acabo de llegar de los Estados Unidos.
(I just arrived from the United States)

People would speak more slowly and enunciate better. It really helped a lot until I grew my vocabulary and picked up on the accent.