Temp to Perm Residence Transition

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I hate beating this horse to death...but...my friend has just gone through the 5 year temporary residence requirement and is about to transition to a Permanent Residencea. (I already have my 3rd Perm. so I cannot help her). So...here we go. Should or can she "apply online" first before the trip to the capital. (I have gleaned through all the material about applying online). Do you know if she will still be required to get the insurance? My thinking is YES....but the next Perm renewal, my thinking is no. I heard a rumor that if you have your financial statements in order....you do not need the insurance.....Just a rumor that I heard. Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance! Sheesh!!! Respectfully :ermm:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Yes, she has to apply online first. Others have reported on their online experience. You can find the requirements on www.migracion.gob.do

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes to online. Even the Guzman firm has to do it that way. But I still had to present my paperwork in person but that might have been because they needed my passport (original). I thought I had my financial documents in order but the officer wasn't happy with them so I paid the $150 for the insurance...cheaper than a third overnight trip to SD from PP... if you want to know more you can pm me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from previous posts: yes, you have to apply online.
licelotte from guzman's office wrote previously that insurance is required for those applying for temp residencies and those going from temp to perm.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for your input! So...to follow up, my friend speaks pretty good Spanish, but the website is not really friendly. She has a "trusted lawyer" who is going to input the data and take care of things for her. One thing that left me scratching my head was that she was told she is NOT eligible yet for her Permanent, even after 5 years of Temporary. This was something I have not heard before....to be required to possess a Temp for SIX years! Whaaaaa????? First time I heard that one! Thoughts? Thanks again!!

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Greetings! So now its October 2020 and I am checking for any new rule changes and a question ...or two... with reference to transitioning from Temp to Perm residence. I am on my 4th Perm so this does not apply to me. I am helping a friend. I have renewed my perm "online" a couple times as well as for a couple friends so I do know the process pretty well as far as providing the required documentation etc. Sorry if I am rambling.

1) According to the migration web site instructions, it is no longer necessary to provide a letter requesting the Perm Residence.
2) I also do not see in the instructions where that BS insurance is required anymore.

Other than this, it looks pretty straight forward.
Thank you!!!
Cheers!