One small plane and a GoPro.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm trying to invent new ways to mount the GoPro on the plane and I'm teaching myself how to edit videos.

Enjoy Puerto Platanians!

[video=youtube_share;450i5sCeG3c]https://youtu.be/450i5sCeG3c[/video]

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very Very nice.. I like the Left wing mounted one the best .. The Vertical Stabilizer one has a little too much obstructed view ..
Very much Looking forward to more of these ..

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Great video. Grew up by airports and USAF bases. Loved aircraft all my life. First ride as a child was in a venerable DC-3. Did a lot of flying in the Canadian north in 185's, piston engined and turbine Beavers and Otters, Hughes 500's, Bell 204's and 206's. Forced landed twice in 185's and walked away safely every time. I always enjoy the approach and landing to Gregorio Luperon airport in the Westjet 737's. Thanks for resurrecting my flying memories. 

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If you find yourself in the market for another, Nikon has the KeyMission line. One of them does 360* video, that could be cool literally from a bird's eye view.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If you find yourself in the market for another, Nikon has the KeyMission line. One of them does 360* video, that could be cool literally from a bird's eye view.

I checked out the Nikon.  Nice but pricey.  I already have one GoPro at the bottom of the ocean.  I had secured it under the wing with a high performance suction mount.  but it wasn't high performance enough!  If any divers are reading this, then follow the centre line of POP runway for about 2 miles into Sosua bay and you will find a GoPro Hero3+.  It's in its waterproof case so I imagine still intact.

I've just ordered this from Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Contr...rd_wg=rGvjI&psc=1&refRID=G860HHHR571HA8D6QYX6

I'm going to find a way to mount it under a wing tip and try some pan/tilt shots.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pretty awesome but it made me a little bit sick. my sense of balance is too messed up.

it was fun, tho, to look at the city, recognize the areas. one can see how heavily populated barrios are vs nicer neighbourhoods. and it was cool to see all industrial buildings. one does not realize their size when on the ground.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
pretty awesome but it made me a little bit sick. my sense of balance is too messed up.

it was fun, tho, to look at the city, recognize the areas. one can see how heavily populated barrios are vs nicer neighbourhoods. and it was cool to see all industrial buildings. one does not realize their size when on the ground.

SO you went up ?

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on having the guts to do it .. a lot of people do not have the courage
...not on a small plane
they think they do, but once they get near the hour of the flight they chicken out .. lol

Sep 4, 2012
A human being is never as free as when up in the air. Majestic views and nice journey for sure -- thanks for sharing such prideful adventure.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I still say, the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

haha .. statistically , probably true ...

but i tell you, i do some of my best driving , TO the Airport , to that park lot.
Cuz I do NOT want to miss that plane ... no how, now way..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
SO you went up ?

i meant that just watching the video made me ill. i have very bad motion sickness disease, i cannot even watch the video in full in one go because it makes me queasy. i'd probably have to drug myself to the point of a coma to survive a flight like that. but one day i will put together enough cash for the trip, stuff my gut with meds and have a go!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The camera in the back makes the wings seem soooo small. Cool video indeed.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
i meant that just watching the video made me ill. i have very bad motion sickness disease, i cannot even watch the video in full in one go because it makes me queasy. i'd probably have to drug myself to the point of a coma to survive a flight like that. but one day i will put together enough cash for the trip, stuff my gut with meds and have a go!

Go on DV8! Dose yerself up on Dramamine and give it a go. It only need be 10mins and if you don't like it, we'll turn round and land.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

This is the truth. I was married to and am the mother of private pilots. We had a Cessna172RG and some of the best moments of my long and eventful life were spent in the right seat of that plane. I have never felt so safe in an airplane as I felt in that highwing plane. We went everywhere: we flew from Iowa to Chicago (when the much beloved Meigs Field was still operative) from Iowa to Maine, from Maryland to Connecticut, routine weekend hops from CT to Block Island, the Cape, Montauk, DC. Perhaps it helped that I slept with the pilot, who I figured had a vested interest (for a while) in keeping me alive.

I am not happy in large commercial planes. They have no glide slope. You lose a prop or an engine and goodbye Charlie. In a small plane, pilots--good ones, anyway--constantly practice engine-out maneuvers and essentially (especially in Iowa where we lived for 3 years: don't ask) everything is a potential landing site.

Give me a Cessna152/172/182 any day over a 737/757/Airbus. The only issue is time. And refueling. And no movies.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Wait. We've met. You are a ballsy woman. You are a woman who routinely reads/watches Dominican news and can post fots of dismembered bodies without batting an eye and going up in a small plane makes you queasy?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wait. We've met. You are a ballsy woman. You are a woman who routinely reads/watches Dominican news and can post fots of dismembered bodies without batting an eye and going up in a small plane makes you queasy?

"queasy" as in "nauseated" and "sick". i get violent pukes every single time when i fly in a big ass commercial airplane. let alone a tiny rickety plane that shakes like an old washing machine (no offence to the pilot, i am sure he is a skilled man). it's not fear, it's motion sickness so bad i cannot use a swing and i cannot watch someone play computer games that require movement. just looking at that video made me dizzy.