Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harry myrtle beach View Post
    No Pedro would be third. Keep trying.
    El Tiante? Luis Tiant?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's not Manny that your thinking of as #1. My pick along with the sports writers for the hall of fame would be Pedro.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaRum View Post
    I hope it's not Manny that your thinking of as #1. My pick along with the sports writers for the hall of fame would be Pedro.
    Manny: such a sad story. I truly think poor Manny operated on a really sub-par IQ. But do admit: that swing. It was a thing of such incredible grandeur and goose-bumpy brilliance. With the possible exception of Ted Williams in his prime, and Dave Winfield, I can't think of anybody else who could turn on a baseball the way Manny did.

You said "Hispanic." I can only think about Dominicans. Were you thinking El Tiante?

And I do freely admit that I love Pedro so much that I would consider a return to the world of fundraising (shudder) if I could work for the Pedro Martinez y Hermanos Fondacion.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    El Tiante? Luis Tiant?
    Si. Tiant=El Tiante.

Boston doesn't have the greatest record of integration. Tom Yawkey passed on Jackie Robinson bc he was such an old-school Southern racist.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT??? In absolutely NO UNIVERSE is Pedro third at anything.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this was sort of a trick question. The answer is the splendid splinter Ted Williams. His mother was Mexican. Upon entering professional baseball he was advised to keep his heritage private.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this was sort of a trick question. The answer is the splendid splinter Ted Williams. His mother was Mexican. Upon entering professional baseball he was advised to keep his heritage private.
    That IS a trick question, and I knew that. Sort of like nobody knew Billy Martin was Italian.

I never saw Ted play, even though the local police took groups from our small town in Central Mass. to Fenway every year. I was a little bit too young, but he certainly loomed large in local lore. Those were tough years to love the Olde Towne Team. But love them we did. Vindication came in 1967. My mother---a huge baseball fan---took all 6 of us kids out to dinner the night they lost the series to St. Louis. At a "nice" restaurant. As in not Friendly's or Howard Johnson's, but a local red-sauce/checkered tablecloth Italian place. We all needed some cheering up. Probably her most of all.

So, with respect: Pedro is first; Ted is second; and Papi is third. Ted sucked in the '46 World Series. Pedro and Ortiz made the post-season their daddy.

8. Likes BermudaRum, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Never mind the Jets, Mets, Sox and the like...

The best MLB team ever.... The Montreal Expos.... over the Blue Jays anytime...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie Chartier View Post
    Never mind the Jets, Mets, Sox and the like...

The best MLB team ever.... The Montreal Expos.... over the Blue Jays anytime...
    Errrrmmm: except they are no more. However, I do salute them for prepping Pedro Martinez for his career with the Red Sox. And Pedro, if you read his book, LOVED Montreal. Because Pedro Is God.

11. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    That IS a trick question, and I knew that. Sort of like nobody knew Billy Martin was Italian.

I never saw Ted play, even though the local police took groups from our small town in Central Mass. to Fenway every year. I was a little bit too young, but he certainly loomed large in local lore. Those were tough years to love the Olde Towne Team. But love them we did. Vindication came in 1967. My mother---a huge baseball fan---took all 6 of us kids out to dinner the night they lost the series to St. Louis. At a "nice" restaurant. As in not Friendly's or Howard Johnson's, but a local red-sauce/checkered tablecloth Italian place. We all needed some cheering up. Probably her most of all.

So, with respect: Pedro is first; Ted is second; and Papi is third. Ted sucked in the '46 World Series. Pedro and Ortiz made the post-season their daddy.
    I grew up of Com Ave (that's Commonwealth Avenue for you non Bostonian's) and got to every doubleheader during the 50's and 60's with my Dad. Ted was Boston's best. We lived about a mile from the park. Got to see all the greats from the American League. Since moving to South Carolina in 2013 have not been to the Ball Park since,but planning a trip to go to Baltimore during the summer We will visit both the Capital and catch the BOSOX at Camden Yards.

13. Likes BermudaRum, sanpedrogringo, Meemselle liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast