Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I hear about the hookers, but can we please talk about the good or great Rest.? People need and like to eat, in nice places. I have tried some mentioned. Some I liked, some so so. I know there are some here who can give some insite. I would like to be able to recomend Rest. to friends who come here for a week or 3 months. Thank you for your time.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
I hear about the hookers, but can we please talk about the good or great Rest.? People need and like to eat, in nice places. I have tried some mentioned. Some I liked, some so so. I know there are some here who can give some insite. I would like to be able to recomend Rest. to friends who come here for a week or 3 months. Thank you for your time.

Midtown has great food, atmosphere,staff and is very reasonably priced. Hope you check it out. 

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Ottimo is Sousa (by the parque de banderas, and across from Baileys) is my favorite "new" restaurant.

(I believe I wrote a more detailed review of it in the "Sousa businesses closed" thread). 

Happy eating!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Midtown has great food, atmosphere,staff and is very reasonably priced. Hope you check it out. 

Yep. This is where I had the mangu for breakfast. I actually met the owner. Nice person...........

20170203_115611_jpeg.jpg

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I've always been a fan of Morua Moi, particularly when the weather is nice. Nothing is outstanding, but everything is good, and you're all but guaranteed not to suffer from any stomach issues afterwards.

Big D's rules the roost for the best BBQ. Don't know if he's back on the beach, or has found another restaurant, but the food's not to be missed. 

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I've always been a fan of Morua Moi, particularly when the weather is nice. Nothing is outstanding, but everything is good, and you're all but guaranteed not to suffer from any stomach issues afterwards.

Love , love Morua Mai.

You have taste DRob!!!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Love , love Morua Mai.

You have taste DRob!!!!

Im sorry, the Steak there is Excellent , the food is excellent , but the service is awful. and its always extremely hot there ..
but the worst is its WAY over priced .. I guess if you know what to pick from the menu, and if its only YOU , one person dining, its ok, But if you go in there as a Couple , plan on dropping MORE money than at Waterfront, and getting a LOT less food ..
Again ,the quality is excellent, i just can not see how they justify those " nyc" prices . and yes I expect the waiter to get my order right too , which they could not ,twice .. probably not going back, too many other choices ..

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Im sorry, the Steak there is Excellent , the food is excellent , but the service is awful. and its always extremely hot there ..
but the worst is its WAY over priced .. I guess if you know what to pick from the menu, and if its only YOU , one person dining, its ok, But if you go in there as a Couple , plan on dropping MORE money than at Waterfront, and getting a LOT less food ..
Again ,the quality is excellent, i just can not see how they justify those " nyc" prices . and yes I expect the waiter to get my order right too , which they could not ,twice .. probably not going back, too many other choices ..

NYC prices?

I have found Morua Moi is closer to Applebee's or TGI Fridays in terms of pricing. That said, I shy away from steak, lobster and upper-end dishes while I'm out there, as it's been traditionally challenging to find properly prepared, top-quality beef in Sosua or Cabarete. Generally I've only had the basic stuff - chicken parm, sandwiches, etc. I'm a pescetarian now, but learning that I had a fairly sensitive stomach (as a direct result of eating at North Coast restaurants) taught me to focus on only a few eateries, and even then on stuff that is hard to mess up. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Orchidee has been very good and very reasonable for a great many years.

http://www.orchidee-restaurant.com/

Their Rump Steak, imo is excellent ... side dishes are extra though, u get just the steak .. .. but I was kind of impressed with the meat cuz i was not expecting much for what is it 500 pesos ? it could have been the special .. Service is very good for such a small not at all fancy , family style atmosphere .

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Taberna el Conde....best value, large portions, fantastic menu. I am there every week. Mondays they have awesome curries complete with home made naan bread, Tuesdays is Taco night, Fridays is pie night (Steak and Mushroom, Shepherds Pie, Chicken Pie with starter salad for 295 pesos), Saturday nights is Surf and Turf and Sundays is traditional roast. Their regular menu is awesome and they always have 3 specials on during the week too.....oh, and the apple pie is delicious!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
A third vote for El Conde.
and the apple pie is the best I have had in a restaiurant.
We too eat there once or twice a week

Bob K

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I know this thread concerns Sosua restaurants but I would be interested in what fellow members pay on average for a three course meal including a bottle of decent wine. The meal should include seafood, imported beef and quality sweet plus a coffee & liquer.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Taberna el Conde....best value, large portions, fantastic menu. I am there every week. Mondays they have awesome curries complete with home made naan bread, Tuesdays is Taco night, Fridays is pie night (Steak and Mushroom, Shepherds Pie, Chicken Pie with starter salad for 295 pesos), Saturday nights is Surf and Turf and Sundays is traditional roast. Their regular menu is awesome and they always have 3 specials on during the week too.....oh, and the apple pie is delicious!

I am quite devoted to the small plate of beef short ribs.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Their Rump Steak, imo is excellent ... side dishes are extra though, u get just the steak .. .. but I was kind of impressed with the meat cuz i was not expecting much for what is it 500 pesos ? it could have been the special .. Service is very good for such a small not at all fancy , family style atmosphere .

Orchidee also makes a wicked good chicken curry with spinach. Yuuuuuuge portion.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know this thread concerns Sosua restaurants but I would be interested in what fellow members pay on average for a three course meal including a bottle of decent wine. The meal should include seafood, imported beef and quality sweet plus a coffee & liquer.

Bliss in Cabarete is where you need to go. It is owned by an Italian couple from Northern Italy. The man is the chef. He graduated from the Culinary school in Piedmonte many years ago. Takes about 6 years to do that. I don't really know about the beef there, as I have not had it. But everything is first class, including the atmosphere. The wine list is Italian, and I have had Barolo there. One of Piedmonte's finest wines.

Cafe, Liquor all great.
But if you are trying to save money look elsewhere. You get what you pay for there.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A third vote for El Conde.
and the apple pie is the best I have had in a restaiurant.
We too eat there once or twice a week

Bob K

I just stopped in at El Conde to tell Nick that he is tearing up DR-1 with all these good words. Let him know! He & his staff work so hard, and sometimes it's just good to hear. Even if it is from DRones.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Orchidee also makes a wicked good chicken curry with spinach. Yuuuuuuge portion.

yeah, i heard that too... he is good friends with Andy, of Rancho, and I am partial to his thai Chicken with spinach , its probably the same recipe ..Andy's is delish also.. I think they are friends going back to Romanoff days ....but yeagh, I will try it there as well .. I like yuuuuuge portions .. how did you know>? lol

I just stopped in at El Conde to tell Nick that he is tearing up DR-1 with all these good words. Let him know! He & his staff work so hard, and sometimes it's just good to hear. Even if it is from DRones.

I have never heard a bad thing about El Conde.. only extremely positive feedback.. my only regret is not going there yet , before one cant get a seat at this place .. ..its on the MUST DO short list for sure .

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm also interested in restaurants in these new towns of Sasuasa and Caberete.......