Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic day of whale watching!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantastic day of whale watching!

Another DRone and I took a trip to Samana yesterday and had a fantastic day of whale-watching. I can give you contact info for this particular tour in PM, if you want.

I went last year and had a great experience, but yesterday was just sublime. We were in a catamaran that was capable of a fair degree of speed and was quite stable. (I took Dramamine just in case, as I am prone to seasickness....no natural sailor I.)

We got off to a bit of a slow start, but then we saw whale after whale after whale. There was a female teaching a calf how to breach, and we saw at least 6 spectacular breaches. We got plenty of dorsal fin waves, we saw faces up close, and there were several whales that came quite close to the boat. We had one swim under the boat, which is a leeeeeetle beeeeet nervous-making, I do freely admit, despite the fact that I consider the humpback whale to be my spirit animal/patronus.

We had great weather and the sea was not choppy, just big, gentle swells. Samana is such a pretty town, and we had a stop at Dudu on the way back.

Great tour, great day, great company. Breakfast and dinner were provided and both were pretty good. The bus was very comfortable.

I saw elsewhere that the cetologists were saying numbers are slightly down this year, but based on our experience yesterday, what's there is "cherce." (Which, for the uninitiated, is Brooklyn for "choice.")

2. Likes jd426, JimW, Neargale, sanpedrogringo, KateP liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Went with Boom Events out of Puerto Plata.  Very professional tour.  Would definitely recommend them. Breakfast, lunch, drinks, whale watching, beach and then a stop on the way back to Dudu.  Got to swim in a cave.  Was too chicken to do the pulley drop off into the water.  

4. Likes Meemselle, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No pictures?

6. Likes Meemselle, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ann has the pictures. I went last year for the first time (with a different vendor) and was so busy taking fots that I sort of missed out on the "watching" part of whale watching. This year I decided to just enjoy the experience. (I was also a tad loopy from the Dramamine.)

Ann: can you post your fots?

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Dramamine or red wine? LOL. Happy for you. Sounds like a great time had. Again, again, again!

9. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Meems,
    Have you tried Tansderm Scop ? the round behind the ear patch...
    Some people like myself are very allergic, and I mean in a BAD way. and i dont get seasick, but i tried it once as a just in case ..
    But for those who can use it , it hear its very good.. Plus the best part, when you are DONE with it, rip off the patch, and it leaves your body, cuz the patch releases it slowly.. so it does not stay in your system and make you sleep all day like Dramamine..

11. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    I saw elsewhere that the cetologists were saying numbers are slightly down this year, but based on our experience yesterday, what's there is "cherce." (Which, for the uninitiated, is Brooklyn for "choice.")
    Loads of sightings on Saturday with some at very close quarters. Fourth visit this one and many more sightings of different whales this time (sadly the first visit was the only time when I saw one jump clean out of the water). It was calm with a steady swell Saturday which helped. And to avoid the tourist trap of the wrong side of Cayo Levantado on the way back made me happy with laid back chilled out Las Galeras in my sights for a couple of days and nights. With side trip to picturesque Playa El Valle on the way back.

On reflection, I do think that the whale watching has become so very commercialized out of Samana since my first trip 8 or 9 years ago, with so many boats out there now and the more powerful ones charging from sighting to sighting before whisking their package customers back to Cayo L. after a set time on station. It used to be policed by the park attendants much better. I did like what Timotero posted on another whale thread taking a private hire from Las Galeras because in reality a lot of the whale watching is off Punta Balandra (where there is a whale watching point) and you can include a stop off at Playa Fronton on the way back....needs to be calm though and one of the covered boats from Las Galeras imo.

13. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Meems,
    Have you tried Tansderm Scop ?
    I've used scopolomine in the past. It knocked the crap out of me. Can you buy it OTC here?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    L I did like what Timotero posted on another whale thread taking a private hire from Las Galeras because in reality a lot of the whale watching is off Punta Balandra (where there is a whale watching point) and you can include a stop off at Playa Fronton on
    This is good advice. I will try this next time, because I agree that it has turned into a bit of a circus out there.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    I've used scopolomine in the past. It knocked the crap out of me. Can you buy it OTC here?
    I honestly dont know ,but can find out with a call .. I got mine here in the US, but my doctor never had a clue that i would have a really bad reaction to it .. it was ugly..this is why i say IF you can and are not allergic.. that stuff is Strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast