Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastic day of whale watching!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    I honestly dont know ,but can find out with a call .. I got mine here in the US, but my doctor never had a clue that i would have a really bad reaction to it .. it was ugly..this is why i say IF you can and are not allergic.. that stuff is Strong.
    I used it with a prescription before going out on a party boat from Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn in May years and years ago. I didn't throw up, but I didn't fish, either. I believe I slept in a very smelly interior space and staggered above decks to observe the festivities for a moment or two before retiring to my supine position on the Naugahyde bench.

For the amount of time I actually spend riding in boats, I am fine with Dramamine. The only time I am ever in boats (except for communing with my patronus charm) is when I take a boat to snorkel further out than I can swim. And the Dramamine high, I gotta say, is pretty mellow.

2. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

took whale trip once and can describe it with 3 words: lots. of. PUKING.

North Coast Moderator

4. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    took whale trip once and can describe it with 3 words: lots. of. PUKING.
    In the whale business we call that chuming. Been there...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

what would the cost of this by private boat be ...anyone have an idea
    it sounds like a spectacular way to spend the day.....but I am not a fan of large groups.....whales yes...people no

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishpaddy View Post
    what would the cost of this by private boat be ...anyone have an idea
    it sounds like a spectacular way to spend the day.....but I am not a fan of large groups.....whales yes...people no
    Timotero posted this on the earlier thread about a trip out of Las Galeras:

We ended up getting our own 24' open boat with a crew of 2 (pilot in the stern, spotter in the bow).  We paid $100 for the whole boat. That included as much whale watching as we wanted. As much snorkeling off a great secluded beach as we wanted. And as much food and drink as we wanted. There were maybe 5-6 similar boats and I think they all join together to use a single cooking crew who prepare the beach BBQ while your out whale watching.

Overall, good experience. We saw dolphins and 3-5 whales. Food was decent. Drinks were beer, rum, soft drinks or water. Scenery was stunning! Secluded beach against the cliffs with line of trees adding some green to the white sand and blue sky background. 

And because the boat was all ours, we could stay as long as we wanted, or return as early as we wanted

I was approached in Las Galeras for such a trip too but after we had been out of Samana. Las Galeras is a the perfect base for a long weekend and a whale watching trip. And the scenery down that east coast of the peninsula is really stunning as posted above.

I was quoted 8000rd for a private hire out of Samana but that was higher than the norm which from previous experience was nearer 4500rd mid week when things were quieter.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    Ann has the pictures. I went last year for the first time (with a different vendor) and was so busy taking fots that I sort of missed out on the "watching" part of whale watching. This year I decided to just enjoy the experience. (I was also a tad loopy from the Dramamine.)

Ann: can you post your fots?
    Ann is on vacation?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Better pics than I have of our trip are on https://www.facebook.com/Booms.Events.29/

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How long is the ride from POP? A few years back I traveled from SDQ. Next time I'll be going from POP. I'm excited to experience the journey...!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sankofatravler View Post
    How long is the ride from POP? A few years back I traveled from SDQ. Next time I'll be going from POP. I'm excited to experience the journey...!
    It's about 2.5-3 hrs from POP to Samana City. Go on-line and check out Whale watching with Kim Beddall. This is a decent size boat and she is a scientist. Many of the tours are in skiffs which are large wooden boats that are very low to the water. If you get sea sick at all you will in this type of boat. Kim's boat is two levels and has an enclosed area if needed. Whales are in the DR from mid Jan- mid March. Good luck and good travels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12