Overall Stats on Dominicans in the United States

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
You seem to like numbers. I like numbers as well. Do you have any numbers for how much time you have spent within Dominican communities abroad, and how many people you know within these communities? Not just the USA, but abroad as a whole? As in the world. Spain? Switzerland? Germany? Japan? Russia? Argentina? Colombia? Ecuador? South Africa? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Any numbers on these populations? Or is it just the USA that concerns you? These are my questions for you. I'm here when you're ready, with real live experience (facts), not numbers copied and pasted.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
MA, the info you provided does not paint a rosy picture of Dominican immigrants in the US. Few are in the US based upon the work they can perform and they have high rates of collecting welfare.

That almost sounds like a recent comment by a government official that caused outrage, despite being true.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You seem to like numbers. I like numbers as well. Do you have any numbers for how much time you have spent within Dominican communities abroad, and how many people you know within these communities? Not just the USA, but abroad as a whole? As in the world. Spain? Switzerland? Germany? Japan? Russia? Argentina? Colombia? Ecuador? South Africa? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Any numbers on these populations? Or is it just the USA that concerns you? These are my questions for you. I'm here when you're ready, with real live experience (facts), not numbers copied and pasted.

The thread is titled: Overall Stats on Dominicans in the United States

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
The thread is titled: Overall Stats on Dominicans in the United States

Understood, but this is another baited thread. Posters open up threads such as this on the "open forum", and the only way to respond is by including information which is not allowed on threads such as this, as per the rules. If this were an Off Topic thread it would be different, but it's not.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
With the concerns now for immigrant communities.. I thought I would post some links on information about the Dominican community in the United States

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/foreign-born-dominican-republic-united-states

MountainAnnie: thanks for great link. I read it with great interest. However, it's from 2014 and this demographic is changing very rapidly. I know that data is never up to date. I really appreciate your continued commitment to providing the truth (no alternative truth) in your literate and cogent posts.

Hope things are going well for you in your new life!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Households with children with the highest welfare use rates are those headed by immigrants from the Dominican Republic (82 percent), Mexico and Guatemala (75 percent), and Ecuador (70 percent). Those with the lowest use rates are from the United Kingdom (7 percent), India (19 percent), Canada (23 percent), and Korea (25 percent). http://cis.org/immigrant-welfare-use-2011

And I bet that high school or less-diplomaed white households on welfare lead the list. In fact, I know they do.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And I bet that high school or less-diplomaed white households on welfare lead the list. In fact, I know they do.

Only by gross numbers because they are a far larger percentage of the population but if you take the percentage of white Americans with high school or less on welfare is their percentage as high? No it is not. Present your facts.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Mountain Annie for the info.

And for those who don't like the info...why shoot the messenger?

Frank

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
MA, the info you provided does not paint a rosy picture of Dominican immigrants in the US. Few are in the US based upon the work they can perform and they have high rates of collecting welfare.

That almost sounds like a recent comment by a government official that caused outrage, despite being true.
The truth is NOT always acceptable here, and if it's felt as negative against the locals it's considered inflammatory and therefore you could be prosecuted.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Why in the world would you take offense to this information? Why shoot the messenger? Would it be better to remain in the dark about this? Should it be covered up and hidden from the public?

It's a "published" report. It's not a personal opinion that she is sharing.

Frank

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Spent last Sunday in Lawrence Ma. and can report that the Dominicans I talked with were worried about the future of their community. Their main complaint was the amount of Haitians moving in closely followed by the crackdown on the local markets selling cigarettes and liquor for food stamps. Running a close third was how cold it was.................

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Not based on % of population, they don't.

Not based on percentage, but total demographics as a whole. They are the overwhelming majority of the citizen, thus they have a much larger number collecting benefits. You can't go by percentages in this case. if there is 1 million DR in US and 5 million Koreans who has the highest number on the rolls at DR 25% or Korea at 20%?

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks Mountain Annie for the info.

And for those who don't like the info...why shoot the messenger?

Frank

There is a large percentage of hard working DR's in US, but there is also a large percentage that suits back and collects sec 8, food stamps, welfare, etc while continuing to have babies. Get over it, it happens with all cultures.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Why in the world would you take offense to this information? Why shoot the messenger? Would it be better to remain in the dark about this? Should it be covered up and hidden from the public?

It's a "published" report. It's not a personal opinion that she is sharing.

Frank

Frank,

I am sure SanPedroGringo can speak for himself but maybe he isn't taking offense but just looking for "real" world comparisons other than just the USA and numbers. Behind numbers you can't see the issues people may have with assimilating in their new communities. I know Dominicans who have been in the US for 10+ years and can't speak English better than a 2 year old child and I know some who have been in the US for a short while yet have mastered the language. In my opinion, public assistance should be just what it is , assistance for a brief period not for a lifetime. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Last edited: