Shipping and Taxes

L

Lori

For those of you who know of me, you know I am moving to the DR. We have sent all of our personal belonging and an auto down to the DR. We have gone through the Dominican Consulate here in Boston in order to get a tax break on our things. Well, just to give an update.

So far so good. We will know for sure how much everything cost by the end of the week. One thing, if you are going to do this and are sending a car. They have to hold it for 80 days before all the paper work is done. The funiture cleared fine and we should be able to move it on Friday. The car is a disappointment but they say instead of paying around US3600.00 the regular way we are only spending about US800.00. So I guess it is worth it. We don't actually need it now anyway.

We are lucky we went through the Dominican Consulate first. They will help you with all your papers. It costs us about 400.00 here in Boston to complete the paper work. It was a lot better because NOBODY could say you need this or you don't have that.

I will be there in August if anyone else is.

I will keep you updated, Lori

P

phh

i worked for a major steamship company in the dr for quite sometime and am very familiar with dominican customs and personal owned vehicle customs clearence. 80 days is far to long. this is not the norm. your car is going to be placed in a public port terminal and will be exposed to, "figure it out".

second, the dominican consulate in boston has no control over what the port customs collector will charge in the way of import duties. strong suggestion, get what the consulate quoted you in writing, along with the port of entry and who they spoke to, ie. the specific port customs collector at the port of entry.

note, in the dominican republic they have customs house brokers who are public private companies that can assist you in this matter. dominican customs is tricking so stay alert and good luck.

L

Lori

I thought 80 day was to long too. I know what happens to the cars, this in not the first time we have sent a car. My husband has put a tarp over the car and hopefully it won't be to damaged. It will be a shame if it is because my husband has been working on this car for 2 years customizing it. We do have everything documented and notarized. What are we supposed to do? The only way ( they say in the DR) to get the car out any faster is to pay the extra money. Or higher a lawyer and I am so sick and tired of the way the DR tells you to higher a lawyer for everything.

I always try to get everything in order and think it through before I do it. Something always goes wrong when I am dealing with any type of legal work in the DR. Sometimes I wonder if I am making the right decision to move there. Why is it always so difficult? I guess no matter what you do or how you do it you will always have problems.

If the Boston Consulate has no control over what they charge, why would they offer this service and also charge alomost 400.00 for it?

Lori

T

Tom

>>>>>If the Boston Consulate has no control over what they charge, why would they offer this service and also charge alomost 400.00 for it?

Lori,

For the same reason you are literally being "held up" in Customs, Money. You may be better off to explain your need for the car and ask an "official" how much it would "cost" to expedite the paperwork.

Tom

L

Lori

My husband has done this and they said 3600.00 instead of waiting and paying 800.00. We do not have 3600.00 at this time we have spent a lot on the move so we are forced to wait. I don't care about the waiting so much as to what may happen to the car. We already have a car there.

My brother in-law sent a car, he did not have the money to take it right away and when he finally did he did not have front and rear bumpers.

Let me ask if anyone has every shipped a 1988 jeep wrangler. How much did you pay to take it out? We have sent cars before and never paid 3600.00 to take it out. Maybe because it looks so nice I don't know.

My husband will call tonight and maybe everything will be over. He is at least getting all the furniture out without a problem.

Lori