SDQ Airport Taxis

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This was posted in the DR1 Travel News for 28 of February. Great post as the rates can easily be found using their website.

SDQ Airport taxis have a web page

Syndicated taxi drivers serving the Las Americas International Airport (SDQ) in Santo Domingo now are offering their services online. The website makes it possible to book online and chat with the service. The website is in Spanish.

Rates are detailed on the site. One can learn that a taxi from SDQ to Punta Cana, a 2-1/2 hour drive, will cost at least US$139. Travel from the airport to the city of Santo Domingo is US$33.

See the website at http://sichala.com/inicio/
http://sichala.com/inicio/tarifario/

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
This was posted in the DR1 Travel News for 28 of February. Great post as the rates can easily be found using their website.

Syndicated taxi drivers serving the Las Americas International Airport (SDQ) in Santo Domingo now are offering their services online. The website makes it possible to book online and chat with the service. The website is in Spanish.

Rates are detailed on the site. One can learn that a taxi from SDQ to Punta Cana, a 2-1/2 hour drive, will cost at least US$139. Travel from the airport to the city of Santo Domingo is US$33.

Cant compete w UBER

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Cant compete w UBER

No one said they could nor is that their intent. For a tourist the website is a great thing, i give the taxi syndicate a pat on the back for that. Now everyone is a Mcinbrass who flies into SDQ. A tourist is not going to be in the mood for the Uber thing. They can now book a airport taxi in advance and be on their way with no haggling on price.

A big step forward for the taxi guys.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I can't speak of the other locations, but their pricing from SDQ to Juan Dolio is right on point. Another 500 pesos extra to continue onwards to San Pedro, which is the norm as well.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Mosy tourists are very comfortable with Uber.  The cars are newer and clean and the Uber computer and GPS keeps drivers from overcharging tourists.  It is about half the price of a conventional taxi and can be booked in advance also.  Don't underestimate the success of Uber.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mosy tourists are very comfortable with Uber.  The cars are newer and clean and the Uber computer and GPS keeps drivers from overcharging tourists.  It is about half the price of a conventional taxi and can be booked in advance also.  Don't underestimate the success of Uber.

I don't underestimate Uber as i use them all the time.

For a first time visitor the online posted rates are great. Taxi to Santo Domingo Centro posted at $33, Uber is around 1,000 pesos. So for less than a $10 bill the tourist gets their luggage handled as soon as they hit the end of celebrity runway at SDQ. Led to a taxi and off they go.

To save the $10 and use Uber one would have to take the elevator to departure level hauling all their luggage. Make sure they have data connection to contact Uber. Wait for Uber with fingers crossed the Uber vehicle will be large enough to hold all their luggage.

My only suspicion is i wonder if when you reserve the taxi are there any hidden fees?

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Not everyone has Data the second they land either. I know I don't. Roaming charges for Data are killer.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Cant compete w UBER

When a tourist comes to visit, the last thing they want is an Uber for initial trip. I think a tourist would feel safer with a Taxi and be able to get better info as to where one should visit. Now if it's not their 1st visit, then Uber would probably be fine.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

Big bird, thanks for posting.

I used Sichala THIS MORNING @4:30 am froom SDQ to Bani. I did everything online and they sent me a quote which matches what's on their website. 24 hours before arrival, they emailed me a photo of the taxi driver with all of his info. upon arrival @SDQ, same Taxi Driver was waiting for me with a placard with my name on it. Very professional and secure. It was a long drive and he drove safely. When I arrived @Bani, he would not let me out until my wife came downstairs because he said it's not safe at that hour on the streets. Trip cost $100 and I gave him a $20 tip. I would highly recommend them based on my experience.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Big bird, thanks for posting.

I used Sichala THIS MORNING @4:30 am froom SDQ to Bani. I did everything online and they sent me a quote which matches what's on their website. 24 hours before arrival, they emailed me a photo of the taxi driver with all of his info. upon arrival @SDQ, same Taxi Driver was waiting for me with a placard with my name on it. Very professional and secure. It was a long drive and he drove safely. When I arrived @Bani, he would not let me out until my wife came downstairs because he said it's not safe at that hour on the streets. Trip cost $100 and I gave him a $20 tip. I would highly recommend them based on my experience.

The part is that they should be doing that long ago, not wait that Uber came to improve their services and give better prices. But good that they wake up on time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The part is that they should be doing that long ago, not wait that Uber came to improve their services and give better prices. But good that they wake up on time.

As they say, why fix it if it ain't broke. Airport taxis have been getting away with their crap for years so yes indeed Uber was the wake up call.

Congratulations to the syndicate! <G>

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
I wish I knew about Uber prior to landing.
If you travel light, its great. There is also public wifi @ SDQ if I'm not mistaken, so you can hail a cab, no need for data after or during the trip, works just fine.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
If you travel light, its great. There is also public wifi @ SDQ if I'm not mistaken, so you can hail a cab, no need for data after or during the trip, works just fine.

No public wifi where I was last time. I only made it to the food court. I was arriving. I think that is where you come out from customs and immigration. It is next to the taxi stand. I asked two people in Spanish and both said no free wifi at that location. I would be interested to know if there is in other locations at that airport. I had read something that says there is. But still don't know. For next time.

cpaynego

Mar 6, 2017
I was at SDQ last week and there was no free WiFi to my knowledge. I asked a few different people in the food court and they each said that the only option for WiFi is the little coffee shop. When I went to the coffee shop, the clerk told me that I must purchase 2 waters to get the WiFi passcode. For that reason, I took a taxi instead of using Uber.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was at SDQ last week and there was no free WiFi to my knowledge. I asked a few different people in the food court and they each said that the only option for WiFi is the little coffee shop. When I went to the coffee shop, the clerk told me that I must purchase 2 waters to get the WiFi passcode. For that reason, I took a taxi instead of using Uber.

Somebody may want to confirm, but I believe Krispy Kreme has free wifi.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Somebody may want to confirm, but I believe Krispy Kreme has free wifi.

From my experience using Uber you need a data connection up until the point you enter the Uber vehicle. If a traveler uses free Wi-Fi inside the airport to order Uber once outside all communication is lost. Driver pulls up twenty feet from where you are with no way to contact you it just won't work.

I have had a few occasions where the vehicle was switched after I placed the order. If this happens and you are outside waiting with no data connection how would you know?

I still say if you don't have your own data connection upon arrival forget Uber and use the airport reserve online taxis. Less than a ten buck savings to SD Centro sure isn't worth it (at least to me it isn't).