Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami to Santo Domingo? Might as well!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpaynego View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I've tried Spanish classes 4 times in Miami and it just doesn't stick. Between work, family, and friends, I just don't make the time to study outside of class. And while there are plenty of Spanish speakers here, practicing with them breaks down pretty quickly when most can just explain things somewhat reasonably in English. By moving to DR, I'll be forced to learn, practice, and hopefully, retain!

By the way, any suggestions for making friends (locals and expats) in Santo Domingo? I'm in my early 30s and plan to live in Gascue, Piantini, or Naco.

No Spanish without study! Not any language without study. This from someone who speaks and writes four.
    What I mean to say is, please don't think that because just living here you will learn it because everybody speaks Spanish. Some foreigners never studied Spanish and they THINK they speak it but it sounds horrible.
    Welcome!!
    Last edited by Fulano2; 06-26-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    No Spanish without study! Not any language without study. This from someone who speaks and writes four.
    What I mean to say is, please don't think that because just living here you will learn it because everybody speaks Spanish. Some foreigners never studied Spanish and they THINK they speak it but it sounds horrible.
    Welcome!!
    Right and lots of study. I have known a couple of people that think they can "pick it up" By watching TV in Spanish!
    Der Fish

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!
    Unless you're quite young.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes 4 years old

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    I can not imagine a worse place to learn good spanish than Santo Domingo ,unless you go to a special school .Few can speak it correctly in SD and even fewer write it .Far better to go to Peru or to Colombia if you are really serious about it. At least they can pronounce the vowels, finish the words correctly and can use the subjunctive and conditional . But here you will learn the language of the uneducated ..it is interesting and mildly amusing .
    I notice where you wish to live .. well, good luck

Writing well is a big problem in the RD, subjunctive not, in my opinion, it's a must.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

....find the right chica....spend a lot of time with her, you will lean......Doc.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Learn what DOC?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Learn what DOC?
    Spanish. I had a friend who would joke about going out looking for a Spanish teacher. He'd pay them 1500 pesos and they'd talk Spanish to him all night long!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DR is absolutely an amazing place

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    I can not imagine a worse place to learn good spanish than Santo Domingo ,unless you go to a special school .Few can speak it correctly in SD and even fewer write it .Far better to go to Peru or to Colombia if you are really serious about it. At least they can pronounce the vowels, finish the words correctly and can use the subjunctive and conditional . But here you will learn the language of the uneducated ..it is interesting and mildly amusing .
    I notice where you wish to live .. well, good luck
    Peru and colombia??? hahaha are you a native spanish speaker?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast