importing luxury car Porsche from the states-used

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Can someone clear up something for me. I was always of the understanding that the DR import department will assign a value to the car and tax it accordingly, despite the car being purchased for all together different price.

This doesnt make sense to me ,and to my mind im wondering if there is a way to circumvent this uncertainty about what unknown amount of tax i might have to pay.

If i buy a $45000 porsche used. Is there a company that will transport it to the dr and handle all the nasty import stuff? Should i use a lawyer to negotiate on my behalf with the import department so i dont get ripped off.?
Any thoughts are welcome, other than its dangerois to flaunt your wealthy and all the other ****ty opinions that are offered from time to time

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you'll hear from others.

I will be surprised if you can circumvent the rules/system.

Have you spoken to the SD Porsche dealer? To check out prices, availability here?

Jan 9, 2004
Can someone clear up something for me. I was always of the understanding that the DR import department will assign a value to the car and tax it accordingly, despite the car being purchased for all together different price.

Yes they do. Unless a classic/antique, the vehicle needs to be no older than 5 years.

http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx

This doesnt make sense to me ,and to my mind im wondering if there is a way to circumvent this uncertainty about what unknown amount of tax i might have to pay.

Yes you can.

1. Bringing your vehicle in with a residency will get you lower taxes;
2. Returning Dominican will get you lower taxes (additional rules apply);
3. Buy an exemption from a politico.

If i buy a $45000 porsche used. Is there a company that will transport it to the dr and handle all the nasty import stuff? Should i use a lawyer to negotiate on my behalf with the import department so i dont get ripped off.?
Any thoughts are welcome, other than its dangerois to flaunt your wealthy and all the other ****ty opinions that are offered from time to time

Lots of shipping companies and even more individuals to "help" you with the process, but at the end of the day without a recognized exemption above...you will pay 18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, plus any shipping, insurance, and ancillary port costs.

Without one of the exemptions above, use a figure of 40% to 50% of dgii value....as your likely all in costs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

You are not allowed to import cars older than 5 years and as a general rule you pay about 50% more in total to get it here. So this car will cost you about US$ 67,500 in the end.
Yes, there are a lot of companies that do the "dirty work" but I am sure others will chime in with their experience.
Good luck!

PS There are a lot of things that "don't make sense" here, let's place it under "culture-differences"

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Yes you can hire a company that will take care of all the arrangements and the taxes with customs however that will not change the fact of the thousands of dollars additional you will pay for importing a very expensive vehicle. Sorry, you are not haggling on the street for a t-shirt. There is NO negotiating involved on your part. If you buy a vehicle that you paid $45,000US dollars for in the States it probably will be valued in the DR for at least an additional 30% and that is what you will pay your import duty on in addition to the shipping fees and paperwork. A Porche in the DR can get hit, scatched and ripped off just as easily as a Toyota, Nissan or Jeep. Save your money and buy something in the DR for half that price and you won't have to keep it in a garage 24/7.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There is a number you call ,sorry dont know it ...tell them car and yr that you are importing and they will tell you custom cost easy ship car down friend shipped one from states ,I believe it has to be  up to 5yrs old to import..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There is a number you call ,sorry dont know it ...tell them car and yr that you are importing and they will tell you custom cost easy ship car down friend shipped one from states ,I believe it has to be  up to 5yrs old to import..

The link to aduana value is in post #3.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
you will pay 18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, plus any shipping, insurance, and ancillary port costs.

Without one of the exemptions above, use a figure of 40% to 50% of dgii value....as your likely all in costs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
And duty unless it's made in America.

I'd peg the number at 55% taxes at the DGII valuation PLUS shipping, etc.

Jan 9, 2004
And duty unless it's made in America.

I'd peg the number at 55% taxes at the DGII valuation PLUS shipping, etc.

You may well be correct. However, given the non-American made status, it would only incur an additional 3-8% duty on top of the 18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, shipping, insurance and port charges, likely putting it at the upper end of my range (50%)...but if they also impose a further so called luxury tax duty.....then 55% would probably be a certainty.

Respectfully,
Playacatibe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You may well be correct. However, given the non-American made status, it would only incur an additional 3-8% duty on top of the 18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, shipping, insurance and port charges, likely putting it at the upper end of my range (50%)...but if they also impose a further so called luxury tax duty.....then 55% would probably be a certainty.

Respectfully,
Playacatibe2
If it's older than 5 years there is an additional penalty. I imported an '01 E350 15-passenger van in 2/2008 and paid an additional 20% penalty ON TOP of all other taxes. Had it been an '03 no additional penalty.

Maybe that's changed.

Jan 9, 2004
If it's older than 5 years there is an additional penalty. I imported an '01 E350 15-passenger van in 2/2008 and paid an additional 20% penalty ON TOP of all other taxes. Had it been an '03 no additional penalty.

Maybe that's changed.

For a while they turned anything older than 5 years away....and for a while they allowed vehicles older than 5 years in....but imposed a penalty. It runs hot/cold with Aduana, but the law is still 5 years.

FWIW, note that vehicles over 5 tons are allowed a 15 year age exemption window.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Keep in mind you'll need the title, so you can't be financing it when you bring it over. And I believe you have to have owned the car for a certain period of time, as well.

Jan 9, 2004
Keep in mind you'll need the title, so you can't be financing it when you bring it over. And I believe you have to have owned the car for a certain period of time, as well.

Correct on both points if you are using one of the exemptions I listed above, except for the politico exemption.

However, there is no time owned requirement if you are shipping without an exemption.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Think about the potholes and what they will do to your beautiful car!

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i am not sure what the requirements are today, but i know that when i brought a car in 10 years ago, it had to have been registered during the year before you planned to ship it. in other words it could not have been something you bought and threw into storage..

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another thing to consider is the depreciation in value.  Porsche is a  prestige marque.  They are expensive to buy and expensive  to maintain.  I don't know what model you're talking about, but I can imagine you're looking at something that is around three or four years old.  A Cayenne or Macan perhaps?

I had a 2007 Cayenne.  I traded in my 2003 Toyota Prado for it, and added another $10k.  I owned it for three years.  I enjoyed the driving experience, but I could never get anyone competent to fix the complicated air suspension and a couple of the air conditioning distribution servo-motors had failed, requiring complete dashboard removal.

I also changed my job which meant that I had to do a lot of driving, i.e. Puerto Plata to Punta Cana on a weekly basis.  I had trouble swallowing the V8 fuel consumption.

I eventually sold it.  Guess what?  It was worth less than the Prado I traded in for!

If you want to flaunt your money, then buy a Landcruiser or a Lexus.  Even rich Dominicans don't buy Porsches.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Another thing to consider is the depreciation in value.  Porsche is a  prestige marque.  They are expensive to buy and expensive  to maintain.  I don't know what model you're talking about, but I can imagine you're looking at something that is around three or four years old.  A Cayenne or Macan perhaps?

I had a 2007 Cayenne.  I traded in my 2003 Toyota Prado for it, and added another $10k.  I owned it for three years.  I enjoyed the driving experience, but I could never get anyone competent to fix the complicated air suspension and a couple of the air conditioning distribution servo-motors had failed, requiring complete dashboard removal.

I also changed my job which meant that I had to do a lot of driving, i.e. Puerto Plata to Punta Cana on a weekly basis.  I had trouble swallowing the V8 fuel consumption.

I eventually sold it.  Guess what?  It was worth less than the Prado I traded in for!

If you want to flaunt your money, then buy a Landcruiser or a Lexus.  Even rich Dominicans don't buy Porsches.

let this posting be a lesson to you guys looking to buy luxury cars here. i know a guy in POP who was trying to sell a 2008 Cayenne a few months ago, and he could not give it away..he could not get Explorer money for it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Although if you have your heart set on a Porsche, then by all means go ahead.  There are very few marques that are up there in terms of smile by the mile.  I've had Porsches all my adult life and totally understand how they get under your skin.

For $45k here you can expect something like this.

4615212.jpg

A 2011 Cayenne S.

I started a thread a while ago as I was in the market for a new car.  I asked the same question as you and eventually ended up buying here rather than importing.  http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/159919-Importing-vehicle?highlight=importing+vehicle 

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
33187778122_2b47cc2868.jpg

I'm still a Porsche owner.  A very rare 1992 968 cabrio.  The only one in the DR.  It spends most if its time in the garage being polished.  But when I do take it out for a spin, you can't wipe that grin off my face for hours!

The plus side is that this car is going up in value as it's a collector's item.