Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homes for the elderly in Santiago or nearby?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Homes for the elderly in Santiago or nearby?

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. My aunt that lives by herself in my apartment in Santiago. She shouldn't be living by herself anymore, being forgetful about basic things. I don't live in DR but go from time to time to check in on her and am preparing to do so now and would like to have a plan beforehand. Are there any homes for the elderly in Santiago or nearby cities that you may recommend or know of that are reasonably affordable? Or any other solutions you might think of?

Thanks in advance

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of the homes for the elderly throughout the country

http://www.conape.gob.do/asilos.cfm?submenuheader=1

Matilda

3. Likes AlterEgo, chrisrose97, SosuaEnVivo, sabra liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to considering hiring someone to take care of her. Probably wouldn't have any medical training but for now she would probably be better taken care of than in one of the homes.

5. Likes chrisrose97, irishpaddy liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very nice ACLF/home in Jarabacoa.

7. Likes chrisrose97 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Very timely thread as I am in need of the same information and advice from those that have some experience in this area. My sister and I take care of our mother who just turned 95 and is suffering from Alzheimers and requires 24/7 supervision. The costs for 24 hour care in California are, to put it mildly,  prohibitive. I've recently retired, my house will be selling shortly, and my 5 year lease on my business location ends in three months. I will be moving back to the DR and have thought about bringing my mother back to the DR once I'm settled. My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her? I am Dominican, speak Spanish and intend to blend in and won't be mistaken for a tourist, except when I speak Spanish or English without a regional accent. I know that costs will vary by location but I'm trying to get a general feel for the situation there as far as costs for that type of care. Any and all input will be appreciated regardless of point of view. Thank you all in advance.

9. Likes cobraboy, chrisrose97 liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    Very timely thread as I am in need of the same information and advice from those that have some experience in this area. My sister and I take care of our mother who just turned 95 and is suffering from Alzheimers and requires 24/7 supervision. The costs for 24 hour care in California are, to put it mildly,  prohibitive. I've recently retired, my house will be selling shortly, and my 5 year lease on my business location ends in three months. I will be moving back to the DR and have thought about bringing my mother back to the DR once I'm settled. My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her? I am Dominican, speak Spanish and intend to blend in and won't be mistaken for a tourist, except when I speak Spanish or English without a regional accent. I know that costs will vary by location but I'm trying to get a general feel for the situation there as far as costs for that type of care. Any and all input will be appreciated regardless of point of view. Thank you all in advance.
    Good luck, 2dlight. Sincerely, and I hope to hear of your experiences.

24/7 care in an outpatient or group home setting is massively expensive. We've supported my sister in one for over 30 years purposefully without any state aid.

There is a huge need in the DR for ACLF's, step-down units and Alzhemer's care. My healthcare background interfaced with that area for many years. I'd love for an angel investor to appear to create such a system in the DR.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her.
    it will also depend on what would you like this person to do. just give basic care to your mother? wash, clean, feed, change diaper (if that's the case), keep her company and so on? or do other household chores?
    i'd say from 8k pesos a month upwards, depending on the location, exact work schedule and the abilities of the person.

North Coast Moderator

12. Likes chrisrose97 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    it will also depend on what would you like this person to do. just give basic care to your mother? wash, clean, feed, change diaper (if that's the case), keep her company and so on? or do other household chores?
    i'd say from 8k pesos a month upwards, depending on the location, exact work schedule and the abilities of the person.
    Thank you dv8. I'd like someone who would give my mother a sense of normalcy in her life again, she hasn't had that since we moved her out of her apartment a year ago: take her to the market, church, cook simple meals, assist with personal hygiene and provide some companionship. She needs to be in a Spanish speaking environment since she's lost the little English she learned and is forgetting the names of things in Spanish already.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you CB. I plan to post my successes/failures regularly on this forum once I embark on this journey, with the hope of being able to help anyone else who find him/herself in a similar situation. Nice article in International Living magazine by the way.

15. Likes cobraboy, suspiro2 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest problem you would have here is they are elderly and they would most likely have a problem with the food here ,as their immune systems aren't what they used to be .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast