Homes for the elderly in Santiago or nearby?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. My aunt that lives by herself in my apartment in Santiago. She shouldn't be living by herself anymore, being forgetful about basic things. I don't live in DR but go from time to time to check in on her and am preparing to do so now and would like to have a plan beforehand. Are there any homes for the elderly in Santiago or nearby cities that you may recommend or know of that are reasonably affordable? Or any other solutions you might think of?

Thanks in advance

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You might want to considering hiring someone to take care of her. Probably wouldn't have any medical training but for now she would probably be better taken care of than in one of the homes.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Very timely thread as I am in need of the same information and advice from those that have some experience in this area. My sister and I take care of our mother who just turned 95 and is suffering from Alzheimers and requires 24/7 supervision. The costs for 24 hour care in California are, to put it mildly,  prohibitive. I've recently retired, my house will be selling shortly, and my 5 year lease on my business location ends in three months. I will be moving back to the DR and have thought about bringing my mother back to the DR once I'm settled. My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her? I am Dominican, speak Spanish and intend to blend in and won't be mistaken for a tourist, except when I speak Spanish or English without a regional accent. I know that costs will vary by location but I'm trying to get a general feel for the situation there as far as costs for that type of care. Any and all input will be appreciated regardless of point of view. Thank you all in advance.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very timely thread as I am in need of the same information and advice from those that have some experience in this area. My sister and I take care of our mother who just turned 95 and is suffering from Alzheimers and requires 24/7 supervision. The costs for 24 hour care in California are, to put it mildly,  prohibitive. I've recently retired, my house will be selling shortly, and my 5 year lease on my business location ends in three months. I will be moving back to the DR and have thought about bringing my mother back to the DR once I'm settled. My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her? I am Dominican, speak Spanish and intend to blend in and won't be mistaken for a tourist, except when I speak Spanish or English without a regional accent. I know that costs will vary by location but I'm trying to get a general feel for the situation there as far as costs for that type of care. Any and all input will be appreciated regardless of point of view. Thank you all in advance.
Good luck, 2dlight. Sincerely, and I hope to hear of your experiences.

24/7 care in an outpatient or group home setting is massively expensive. We've supported my sister in one for over 30 years purposefully without any state aid.

There is a huge need in the DR for ACLF's, step-down units and Alzhemer's care. My healthcare background interfaced with that area for many years. I'd love for an angel investor to appear to create such a system in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My question is: what can I expect to pay someone to live in-house 5 days per week to look after her.

it will also depend on what would you like this person to do. just give basic care to your mother? wash, clean, feed, change diaper (if that's the case), keep her company and so on? or do other household chores?
i'd say from 8k pesos a month upwards, depending on the location, exact work schedule and the abilities of the person.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
it will also depend on what would you like this person to do. just give basic care to your mother? wash, clean, feed, change diaper (if that's the case), keep her company and so on? or do other household chores?
i'd say from 8k pesos a month upwards, depending on the location, exact work schedule and the abilities of the person.
Thank you dv8. I'd like someone who would give my mother a sense of normalcy in her life again, she hasn't had that since we moved her out of her apartment a year ago: take her to the market, church, cook simple meals, assist with personal hygiene and provide some companionship. She needs to be in a Spanish speaking environment since she's lost the little English she learned and is forgetting the names of things in Spanish already.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you CB. I plan to post my successes/failures regularly on this forum once I embark on this journey, with the hope of being able to help anyone else who find him/herself in a similar situation. Nice article in International Living magazine by the way.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I think the biggest problem you would have here is they are elderly and they would most likely have a problem with the food here ,as their immune systems aren't what they used to be .

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a very important issue throughout the DR as the population ages and families are increasingly more apt to have several members employed. The old system of :family: care is pretty difficult to continue these days..

That said, there are fine women, even some nuns that can provide in0home care for elderly patients. When you get here, please get in touch with me via PM, and I will help you as much as possible.

What Cobraboy said has been true for many decades; the need is there, the opportunity is just sitting there.

There is a place in Santo Domingo, and the one in Jarabacoa is really lovely. There is San Vicente here in Santiago, but most have waiting lists.

A 24/7 live-in is certainly your best option (but with some outside supervision!!!)...

Cordially,

HB

Apr 7, 2014
I think the biggest problem you would have here is they are elderly and they would most likely have a problem with the food here ,as their immune systems aren't what they used to be .
Digestive system moreso than immune system. You cant eat them plantains and all this starchy food not get stopped up when you are old. Besides diabetes, these old folks are too set in their ways.to change diets

Apr 7, 2014
Good luck, 2dlight. Sincerely, and I hope to hear of your experiences.

24/7 care in an outpatient or group home setting is massively expensive. We've supported my sister in one for over 30 years purposefully without any state aid.

There is a huge need in the DR for ACLF's, step-down units and Alzhemer's care. My healthcare background interfaced with that area for many years. I'd love for an angel investor to appear to create such a system in the DR.
Impossible, there is no standardization if you can just hire a Haitian woman to do that caregiving for 8000 pesos/month.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
This is a very important issue throughout the DR as the population ages and families are increasingly more apt to have several members employed. The old system of :family: care is pretty difficult to continue these days..

That said, there are fine women, even some nuns that can provide in0home care for elderly patients. When you get here, please get in touch with me via PM, and I will help you as much as possible. 

What Cobraboy said has been true for many decades; the need is there, the opportunity is just sitting there.

There is a place in Santo Domingo, and the one in Jarabacoa is really lovely. There is San Vicente here in Santiago, but most have waiting lists.

A 24/7 live-in is certainly your best option (but with some outside supervision!!!)...

Cordially,

HB
I will most certainly take you up on that offer before my final move. I'm planning a trip to Santo Domingo at the end of April for some preliminary groundwork and to see my dad. Thank you HB.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thank you dv8. I'd like someone who would give my mother a sense of normalcy in her life again, she hasn't had that since we moved her out of her apartment a year ago: take her to the market, church, cook simple meals, assist with personal hygiene and provide some companionship. She needs to be in a Spanish speaking environment since she's lost the little English she learned and is forgetting the names of things in Spanish already.

i see. it's hard to find someone to live-in these days, many folks do not want that kind of a job because it means 24/7 workload. grandpa of miesposo had arrangement of day nurse and night nurse. the one staying for the night was basically sleeping in the bedroom with him, getting up only to assist when needed and to check on him (sort of like with a little child which he became towards the end of his days). but it was a large household and the family was always in and out so aside from additional nurse the day staff was numerous. in any case, it may be easier to find two people doing shift work. best of luck.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i see. it's hard to find someone to live-in these days, many folks do not want that kind of a job because it means 24/7 workload. grandpa of miesposo had arrangement of day nurse and night nurse. the one staying for the night was basically sleeping in the bedroom with him, getting up only to assist when needed and to check on him (sort of like with a little child which he became towards the end of his days). but it was a large household and the family was always in and out so aside from additional nurse the day staff was numerous. in any case, it may be easier to find two people doing shift work. best of luck.
Likely it would take 3-3.5 to staff 24/7 doing 12-hour shifts.

One live-in would quickly burn out.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I will take your insights and recommendations into consideration as I attempt to come up with a strategy that addresses her needs and gives me the freedom to explore the entire country. I can already see the need to modify the 24/7 aspect of care for her as it relates to a live-in. Thank you all again.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010

Cordially,

HB

Thank you all for your advice! My case is complicated since I live in USA and my aunt in Santiago has no children and all family have moved elsewhere or cant help out 24/7. Sadly I have to put her somewhere because hiring somebody to live with her, I obviously would not be able to supervise that person. (and whats worse Then I have to figure out what to do with the apartment and all the crap in it!).....It never ends! "Si no es Juan es Juana!!!"

HB, anything affordable near Santiago?
On my last trip, foreseeing this, I went to the one in Canabacoa, very nice but its beyond my means..and I went to San Vicente and that was so depressing that I just stopped looking.

Im going to Santiago to take care of this but would like to have some sort of plan of action

Thanks again

I've used HOGAR GERIATRICO CANITAS DORADAS in Santiago (Near Tamboril) when my step dad had a minor stroke and my mom was not able to attend. They charge around 25k a month, plus any additional services your relative requires, ex. medical exams, tests, rehab, etc. The fee only covers the stay and food, everything else will be extra. You can search the web, there are few pictures, my mom said that he was treated decently and the place was clean. I live in the US as well and I understand the frustration. I hope this helps.

BTW, 25k Dominican pesos.