CESTUR checks in Las Terrenas

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.infosdiario.com/noticias...as-de-robos-en-las-terrenas.html#.WMHnCIWcH6U

It would appear there are a lot more ID checks being carried out in Las Terrenas than in previous years according to this very recent report above . The need to carry ID there seems to be needed at all times as two Haitian born French nationals on holiday found out when trying to enter a night spot. It also appears from the article that prostitution is being targeted and specifically Haitians. And some in the community are pushing back against the measures.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Uch. So CESTUR goes how? Did their play on the North Coast, got caught, had to apologize, and now they just move on to a different province?

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I thought this conversation was about gringo round-ups. Please correct me if I am wrong. I believe I read the thread starter correctly.

No, you didn't read it correctly. Gringo round-ups was another thread a week or so ago posted under the North Coast. This post is Cestur Checks in LT and is not talking about gringos. It's talking about Haitian ladies of the night.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
CESTUR is not checking Gringos. I drove by on my scooter very often, and they motioned me to drive along. But they stopped all Haitians and some Dominicans.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I've seen a huge increase in the number of CESTUR around, both night and day but they don't seem to be stopping Gringos. A couple have been sitting opposite the place I work stopping people, but so far it always seems to be Dominicans and Haitians.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've seen a huge increase in the number of CESTUR around, both night and day but they don't seem to be stopping Gringos. A couple have been sitting opposite the place I work stopping people, but so far it always seems to be Dominicans and Haitians.

Where is the outrage that they are "profiling"?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Where is the outrage that they are "profiling"?

They are not profiling. It appears their mission is to stop thieves. In Las Terrenas, Gringos don't steal motorbikes (although some are real-estate conmen!!!)