Beware of any e-mails from Grahme Bush (Bush Baby)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparently, our valued contributor Grahme in POP, has been infected with a virus.
I just got an infected e-mail from Grahame, so be very careful about opening anything with an attachment

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks HB, I was just coming on to advise everyone.

I have received numerous "Returned - Non Deliverable due to virus attachment" e-mails today. I have done a virus check on my computer & everything appears to be clear!! Interestingly, I only receive 6 notices from outlook express system every time I run 'Check/send mail'!!

The e-mails (supposedly from me) were sent to my address/contact list on Outlook Express using the Codetel.net.do. I didn't send any of these - honest folks!! If any of my friends/contacts get a message from me, please check it carefully & if you have ANY doubt about the contents, get back to me to check IF I sent you something.

Sorry for any inconvenience/problems this may cause (or have caused) you. Someone, somewhere is getting into my computer & sending a (supposedly) virus message to all my contacts. Am I being over cynical if I suggest it might be the company who "Intercepted" these e-mails supposedly sent from me seeing as they are a company producing anti-virus software??? Does anyone know this company & trust them implicitly?

Regards all - & Sorry - Grahame

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Grahame, please see my post in Travel? It is not a big deal, but you do need to update your virus protection...

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for the concern Gentlemen. I did a virus test as soon as I became aware of the problem & this showed no viruses. However, I decided to do a download of latest viruse (Norton Utilities/symantec) which then produced 21 virus infections when I did a second test. These were
1. Trojan Horse infecting Widows\system\kdll.dll
2. w32Badtrans.B@mm infecting windows\system\kernel32exe (2 hits shown for this)
3 w32Badtrans@,mm.enc (infecting recycled bin mainly, which I have now permenently deleted the files from).

I have managed to clear the w32badtrans@mm.enc, but the others remain. I can not repair or quarantine, I could only EXCLUDE!
I fear my only option now is to delete files as in 1. & 2. above. Have you any suggestions as to how I can obtain/download kernel32.exe & kdll.dll to reinstall these on my computer? (That is if they are important to keep on the computer - if not, I will just delete them!).

Hope you can put my mind at rest on this - at the moment I am feeling quite iseless!

Many thanks for any help / advice you can give - Grahame.

Another thing

Norton 2001 or 2002 Anti Virus does automatic updates of the virus definitions, it check your system evertyyime you go on the internet for the latest, runs in the background. Well worth the money.
The other thing that is excellent is Norton Internet Security, a bit tedious to setup but much more effective than Zone Alarm. It blocks hackers as well as advertisements, when an ad get through for instance for valuenet, click and drag the ad to the trashcan at the bottom of screen and never see those anoying ad's again.
They are all worth their weight in gold.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps the one positive that will come out of this is the fact that a lot of people are going to invest that $30 bucks for a year's worth of virus protection.

I lost a huge amount of informatin I thought was important to a virus. Hopefully, not any more.

I happen to have the McAfee apps but I have heard a lot of good things about Symantec (Norton). I have thought of switching but have never got around to it.,

thanks Wud for your help on this, I know that Grahame will be a lot wiser after this episode. BTW, this was a worm and not a trojan, right? The difference being that trojans mess up your files but worms do stuff, like send out e-mails with infections?

Geez, I can't believe these words are not in the dictionary...hehehe

HB

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
Delete Infected Files

If you are using Norton and it tells you a file is infected and "quarantined" you can deleted that file from the Quarantine folder. It will not affect your operating system. Norton sends the infected file to "Quarantine" before it gets saved to your Windows folder.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
OK Guys & Lasses - I'm back & clean!!!!

Norton Utilities 2002 now located on computer & the "Go Back" facility will be great for letting me reset to a system I KNOW was clean if this thing should ever happen again!

Sorry for all the embuggerance caused you all - if you DID receive an e-mail from me - with or without an attachment - please download the latest version of your anti virus program & check to see that you didn't get infected by anything purportedly sent from me. - Grahame.