Rental car company and insurance

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Hi.
Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably priced) rental car company in Santo Domingo where I can pick up the car there and return it in Puerto Plata (or Sosua/Cabarete)? 

I have rented in the DR before, and the last time only one headlight was working and the window wiper motor was broke...So you can imagine the hassle when I was driving at night with the front window full of mosquitos... (Should have checked the car before I signed, and it should have rung a bell when he demanded payment in cash - lesson learned)
But I want do avoid these kind of things in the future and would prefer a company that doesn’t try to rip you off.

And would like to rent a car with full insuranse against everything. 
When it says "fully comprehensive insurance", does it really cover everything?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi.
Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably priced) rental car company in Santo Domingo where I can pick up the car there and return it in Puerto Plata (or Sosua/Cabarete)? 

I have rented in the DR before, and the last time only one headlight was working and the window wiper motor was broke...So you can imagine the hassle when I was driving at night with the front window full of mosquitos... (Should have checked the car before I signed, and it should have rung a bell when he demanded payment in cash - lesson learned)
But I want do avoid these kind of things in the future and would prefer a company that doesn’t try to rip you off.

And would like to rent a car with full insuranse against everything. 

Who would you rent from that would give you a car to drive that is not in working condition. You are a fool to knowingly deal with an unreputable person so you can save a few bucks. If that car broke down in the middle of nowhere the money you "saved" would be worthless. There are many above board rental agencies. Go on-line and pick one. Take the extra insurance. Yes, it will cost you more but it is worth it if the car gets scratched or dented.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Who would you rent from that would give you a car to drive that is not in working condition. You are a fool to knowingly deal with an unreputable person so you can save a few bucks. If that car broke down in the middle of nowhere the money you "saved" would be worthless. There are many above board rental agencies. Go on-line and pick one. Take the extra insurance. Yes, it will cost you more but it is worth it if the car gets scratched or dented.

Take it easy LT(no more) Steve, no where does it say the OP was trying to save a few bucks. The OP realizes they made a mistake and looking for help so it doesn't happen again. No need whatsoever to call a person a fool because they made a mistake.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......... I can pick up the car there and return it in Puerto Plata (or Sosua/Cabarete)? 

.............. And would like to rent a car with full insuranse against everything. 

If you get FULL insurance along with tire and windshield coverage the insurance pays everything. Your only responsibility would be going to police headquarters to get an accident report. Full insurance adds quite a bit to the cost of the rental.

You can also use your credit card CDW insurance if you have that. Not as easy as full insurance and a lot more of a hassle to get your money back but it works.

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Thank you guys for your help. Will definitely look into using my credit card insurance...

LTSteve: I’m always out to "save a few bucks" if I can... (off course without compromising safety and convenience). However, this wasn’t the case the last time I rented a car in the DR. I paid around $65 a day and I felt robbed given the condition of the car... It was an intermediate, don’t remember the make. 

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Be aware of one huge caveat Hans, if you have an accident, you pay in cash for injuries/damages. You CC insurance may reimburse you late subject to deductible but on the ground here and on the spot you will pay up. Get the Full Insurance.

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Be aware of one huge caveat Hans, if you have an accident, you pay in cash for injuries/damages. You CC insurance may reimburse you late subject to deductible but on the ground here and on the spot you will pay up. Get the Full Insurance.

Thanks, I think I will go for the full insurance from the rental company. Better to be safe than sorry. 
By the way, got a reply from my credit card company. According to them, they actually require that I rent a car with a CDW/LDW for their insurance to be valid, and it doesn’t even cover glass damage. How stupid is that?