New to Las Terrenas

DonandCandie

Mar 10, 2017
Headed to Las Terrenas to scout relocation
Mar 10, 2017, 8:38 AM
We are planning to review the Las Terrenas area to relocate. We have traveled the caribbean extensively and have spent 20 years vacationing in punta cana. Looking for a more laid back less tourist/all inclusive life style. would like to gather as much information from local experts as possible. Not a fan of web promotional info.

long term rentals?

shopping?

transportation?

best route from Santo Domingo airport

job availability for experienced RN oncology/Cardiology/Homecare background

cost of living

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SDQ airport question is easy...

New toll road north to end, turn right and proceed to Samana/el Catey airport.

Left onto toll road extension to LT

Former mayor, Steve will report in the morning.... for certain 

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Feel free to get in touch if you want anything. I live and work in LT and would be happy to offer info, where to go, where to avoid etc.

Roy

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
North Americans in general (not all) apparently seem to struggle adapting to the lifestyle of Las Terrenas which is more of a small European type resort populated by French, Italian and Germans in the main, which gets invaded at weekend and holidays by the wealthier middle class from Santo Domingo and consequently becomes less appealing at times due to modest overcrowding and traffic in narrow streets. There are few bars catering to tourists and the social life is based around the beach and restaurants which for the most part close early evening. Away from the beach the town is quite scruffy.

You can find some great places to pass the time and thoroughly enjoy a chilled out life a short drive from the town itself. Playa Bonita( for me especially) and Coson are examples and even further along Playa Las Ballenas too.

I've lived there for just under two years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but one needed trips to the capital from time to time for shopping essentials and so on, and now that I am relocated to the capital I don't look back knowing a weekend trip there is an easy option.

Realistically you will need a car, but perhaps like some, quads or even two wheels might suffice.

It is now under two hours to the capital using the toll roads but travel by taxi from SDQ is very costly and the daily bus services from the capital and the end of the Autopista may be an option.

I rented during my time there a couple of years back, and rental costs are higher compared with other areas of the country especially if you are on or close to the beach or in the hills overlooking it all. I rented from a French company (http://www.aic-dominicana-inmobiliaria.com/ ) and highly recommend Jacques and his team.

The cost of living is a little higher than other places and not surprising since it is part of a distant province with ex-pats running many of the businesses. But you also find some special things you would only find in Europe too.

Depending upon age medical care may come into the equation and in reality if anything crops up of a more significant nature you will be whisked off to the capital.

If you want really laid back and beautiful, my advice now is to travel a few miles further to Las Galeras, and find a place that was like Las Terrenas in it's youth before tourism took over. (apologies to LTSteve but the charm is fading a little with LT)

Enjoy.

DonandCandie

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you all for your input. It really helps as we try to put it all in perspective. It is hard to gather current data. Thanks again for ypir time and willingness to help.
Don and Candie

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Headed to Las Terrenas to scout relocation
Mar 10, 2017, 8:38 AM
We are planning to review the Las Terrenas area to relocate. We have traveled the caribbean extensively and have spent 20 years vacationing in punta cana. Looking for a more laid back less tourist/all inclusive life style. would like to gather as much information from local experts as possible. Not a fan of web promotional info.

long term rentals?

shopping?

transportation?

best route from Santo Domingo airport

job availability for experienced RN oncology/Cardiology/Homecare background

cost of living

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi:

I will try to answer your questions as directly as possible. I'm thinking you are flying into the DR from the States. If you are coming from Canada than you would already know you can fly into El Catey (AZS) Airport which is less than 30 minutes from Las Terrenas. If you are flying into SD (SDQ) Las Americas you would need to have a rental car at the airport. It is about a 2 to 2.5 hour ride to Las Terrenas. You are on a very nice highway for the good part of the trip. In Las Terrenas there are many choices for housing rentals which go from reasonably priced to expensive. I would go through a realtor in Las Terrenas to help you norrow down your choices. You can also go to vrbo.com , vacation rentals by owner. There is a a number of listings for LT.
I would try to rent in a condo that has good security. Initially, DO NOT, rent a house off the beaten path. This is a big NO NO for those coming to LT for the first time to live. You are setting yourself up to be ripped off, robbed and maybe worse. Stick to an area where there are others of the same ilk. You will need to have access to a vehicle. I rented a vehicle long term my first year or two. Yes, it is expensive but the convenience is worth it. My wife and I were in Las Terrenas for about half the year. If you can avoid the Summer Months, which is hurricane season and return to North America you will be much happier. From June-October it is very hot and humid with much rain. The cost of living in LT is Americanized. What I mean is that if you buy local goods at the Supermarket the prices are very reasonable. If you are buying imported items, such as most wines and liquors it is expensive. For the most part pricing at the two major supermarkets in town is what you would find in the US or Canada. There are two locations. One is called Lindo, which is a smaller market with a good choice of European items and most everything else you desire. The other, which is much larger, and only opened a couple of years ago, Super Pola has a great selection and a little bit better prices. Most locals, use both. As far as a nursing job in LT, your probably wasting your time. There is a small hospital and a couple of smaller clinics, along with other individual Drs. in LT. Nurses do not get paid as they would in North America. I am not sure of the actual pay but it is very, very low and not what you have come to expect for your experience and knowledge. If you are coming to LT expecting to get a job in this field than stay home. If you are coming to retire, enjoy the beach, great European restaurants and a layed back life style than.... Bienvenidos Gringo and Gringa. Buenos Suarte'.

DonandCandie

Mar 10, 2017
Hi All
Again thank you for your input. I guess I should have been a little more specific about a few of my questions.
Any ideas about the cost of renting an individual house in a safe area?
cost of elec for same. This appears to vary alot. Would expect to use air in 1 bedroom and 1other area.
Cost of a housekeeper
Cost of weekly groceries- including wine/beer
What do you think it would cost per month in us currency to live comfortably in LT

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Hi All
Again thank you for your input. I guess I should have been a little more specific about a few of my questions.
cost of elec for same. This appears to vary alot. Would expect to use air in 1 bedroom and 1other area.
Cost of a housekeeper
What do you think it would cost per month in us currency to live comfortably in LT

Cost of weekly groceries including wine and beer? What kind of question is that???

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi All
Cost of a housekeeper

Your questions are valid ones but difficult to answer because it depends on your lifestyle choices. As far as real estate I guess you would have to figure out what you can afford for a monthly rental. As far as buying food you could easily spend $100-200 dollars a week, especially if you are buying wines, which are all imported and expensive. Your cost of electricity will vary depending on what time of year it is and the hours you use A/C. I would estimate that would be somewhere in the ball park of $125- 275usds. You don't need a full time housekeeper. Have a cleaning person come in once or twice a week to dust, sweep and wash the floors. She could also do laundry but I would rather do that myself. Now the tough one is monthly rental costs. This obviously depends on location, size and ammenities in the apartment. If you want a nice apartment that is walking distance to the beach you will pay a minimum of $850- 1200usds per month. As I express in my previous thread, contact a local real estate agent to help guide you in the rental process. ALWAYS remember that security in the DR should be the number 1 priority in the location of your apartment rental. If you want recommendations for a realtor I would suggest contacting Beachtown Realty. They are originally from England, have been in Las Terrenas for quite a few years and are very knowledgable about the area. Ask for Helen. She is the owner. DO NOT go looking for rentals on your own. You have no knowledge of different areas and you have no idea who you are dealing with. YOU ARE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!! Good luck and good travels. If you want more specific info you have to give us more specific details, in regards to, budget and likes and dislikes.

DonandCandie

Mar 10, 2017
Steve-
Thank you for all of your insights. Trying to gather data is always my first step. It has been somewhat difficult with Las Terrenas as most published data is at least a couple years old. AgIn thanks for taking the time to help out.
Don

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Steve-
Thank you for all of your insights. Trying to gather data is always my first step. It has been somewhat difficult with Las Terrenas as most published data is at least a couple years old. AgIn thanks for taking the time to help out.
Don

Certainly my pleasure. If you have other questions you can try to send me a pm (private message).

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Certainly my pleasure. If you have other questions you can try to send me a pm (private message).

Actually this conversation is providing really great information. It would be wonderful if you could continue it in public so all can benefit.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello, Maybe you should explore also Juan Dolio, is closer to Santo Domingo and closer to SDQ Airport, long term rentals avilable houses and apartments, Shopping in San Pedro that is 20 minutes far from Juan Dolio, and def will be easier for Job oportunity in Santo Domingo than in Las Terrenas.