Sad News about Playa los Pirata, fka Los Gringos on Playa Magante

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We stopped in for lunch at Playa los Piratas on Playa Magante last tour, Friday, March 3. Playa los Piratas used to be Log Gringos until the Patrick, the former proprietor, died in a car wreck

It's has always been a favorite stop for many reasons.

Unfortunately, as of March 15 it will be no more.

I spoke with the French couple who have been leasing the restaurant, and it's just not happening for them, way too much work for way too little return. "We live here" was her comment. Granted, business is clearly been off after Patrick left. Additionally, I don't know about their lease.

'Tis sad. Such a great location.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am surprised that remote location was ever successful. Still sad to hear about someone not being able to make it.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I am surprised that remote location was ever successful. Still sad to hear about someone not being able to make it.

We were very much concerned with Patrick's passing. We and many others loved to visit on occasion and really loved the place. Patrick, partner and staff made it all work.

Profit was not their main motivation. It was the love of what they did so they did ok. Unfortunately, others revised that so the it reversed and so did the business.

I also understand that competition set in around them. Very common to have a somewhat successful business and have several others pop up right next to you to copy your business.

Very sad.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

I agree with you, it is to remote. I know the old french guy (Pierre) very well (lives in Magante) who started this in 1995 or something when there was not even electricity. Now he said it was a "locura" in his "youth". IMHO, Michel (in fact he is a spaniard) and Margot did something wrong when they started. Changing the name is one of the things. How on earth will people ever find you on the web? Whatever the case , the (english) owner will find someone else to lease it.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I agree with you, it is to remote. I know the old french guy (Pierre) very well (lives in Magante) who started this in 1995 or something when there was not even electricity. Now he said it was a "locura" in his "youth". IMHO, Michel (in fact he is a spaniard) and Margot did something wrong when they started. Changing the name is one of the things. How on earth will people ever find you on the web? Whatever the case , the (english) owner will find someone else to lease it.

Not sure what any of this means.

Being that I had some interest in this place, I asked around. A couple of years ago a storm changed the beach and a small steam to the sea became a river that was very polluted and smelled. Thus changing the whole area.

I was thinking of going myself to investigate but with the new competition that can charge lower while offering less on both sides and the pollution problem that has insurmountable corrections needed, I find that a look is not even worth the trip.

Too bad. A wonderful get-a-way may being gone. Let's remember what we had and morn what we have lost.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
It is sad if this place is closing after March 15. I love this little hide away beach area.

This is one of my favorite places to go and take my friends and families to enjoy a day away from all the tourists from Sosua and Cabarete. I been going there for over 10 years now. I was talking to Patrick the day that he had the accident. He sat in our table and talked for awhile. We said our goodbye and he took this car and drove away to attend a party. In fact, he tried to sell his car to my friend....

I went back to the restaurant after the new couple took over a year later, and then a couple more times afterward. It is not the same, even they hired the same staffs. The food tasted difference, the feel is difference. I will miss this wonderful quiet place for us to escape. I love to walk the beach area and pick up sea glass and shells there......

SF61

Apr 3, 2017
This information is incorrect, the restaurant and cabanas are still open. The name has been changed to Playa Paraiso en Magante. The restaurant is being run by Wendy L. who was Patrick's right hand person. The menu is the same but the prices are cheaper. They have a web site paraisoenmagantedr.com  

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This information is incorrect, the restaurant and cabanas are still open. The name has been changed to Playa Paraiso en Magante. The restaurant is being run by Wendy L. who was Patrick's right hand person. The menu is the same but the prices are cheaper. They have a web site paraisoenmagantedr.com  
So it has been re-opened by Wendy! That's great!

Clearly someone is backing her.

Great find, SF61! I, for one, am very happy they are back!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Terrific news, Patrick trained her so well. Let's all support her efforts!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We stopped in for lunch at Playa los Piratas on Playa Magante last tour, Friday, March 3. Playa los Piratas used to be Log Gringos until the Patrick, the former proprietor, died in a car wreck

It's has always been a favorite stop for many reasons.

Unfortunately, as of March 15 it will be no more.

I spoke with the French couple who have been leasing the restaurant, and it's just not happening for them, way too much work for way too little return. "We live here" was her comment. Granted, business is clearly been off after Patrick left. Additionally, I don't know about their lease.

'Tis sad. Such a great location.

That is the situation with many restaurant owners on the North Coast and in other "tourist areas". Business is very competitive, seasonal and if you have to pay to lease the business on top of it all it makes it almost impossible to succeed. In the DR the high season is from Christimas to Easter. The number of tourists peaks and you are left with the balance of the year of 7 months. You need traffic or a very low overhead to keep a restaurant going. Very labor intensive and people have many choices. More fail than succeed.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Went there today. We are the only clients from the time we start to we finished. Had a nice talk with Wendy, and the food was good, tastes the same as it is Patrick's' recipe. I am happy that we have the whole place to ourselves, but that is not good for the business.....

It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed our stay. But we are leaving this week back to NY, will keep our fingers crossed that the restaurant will survive all this slow months and still be there when we come back.

I wish them luck because I love this place.