Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way for US citizen to invite a friend over for a tourist visa?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way for US citizen to invite a friend over for a tourist visa?

I spent 2 weeks in DR and met a really cool girl. We want her to come to NYC and visit.

Myself - 28, US citizen, working and living in NYC. I'll be paying for her trip.
    Her - 23, student, all family in DR.

We are just friends though she could potentially become my girlfriend. What are the chances that she gets approved? Is she more likely or less likely to get approved as a friend vs as a girlfriend? And what can we do to convince the consulate that she will be going back to DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

She has to be able to qualify for a tourist visa on her own basis. Her being your friend or the fact that you are paying for the trip is not of any help, nor is it considered or given any weight by Immigration.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be paying a lot more than her trip to Nueva york...
    Have fun, enjoy the ride.... use protection.

chances of B1 B2 visa ? if she can afford the price to do all the paperwork, around 5-1 against
    is she stable, has a job, no kids ?
    If she admits she is visiting a boy friend, her odds will be more like 100-1 , against .
    its an automatic red Flag.

but lately the odds are a lot better if she is smart about it .

K-1 visa, used to be a lot closer to 100 % , in favor , but you better read up on that one and the qualifications thereof, its a FIANCE Visa, and you got 90 days.
    good luck .
    Do some searches on DR1 right here ,good threads already on this topic talked about many many times.

4. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what JD said.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Same post 2x

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can give you some advice from experience. First, you will need to be in an actual relationship with this person for it to be considered in her visa application; "friends" just won't cut it. The State Department will most likely verify that you're really together using social media, etc. Her chances of being approved are also greater is she has a job and can demonstrate a normal, stable life in DR.

Prior travel experience (which I'm sure she doesn't have) counts the most. What the US wants to know is if the person is going to return to their country after visiting. Having a job, apartment, stable life, a history of leaving their country and returning all count towards getting a visa.

A young student without too much else going for them has more to gain by going to the United States and just staying.

8. Likes trustquest liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    She has to be able to qualify for a tourist visa on her own basis. Her being your friend or the fact that you are paying for the trip is not of any help, nor is it considered or given any weight by Immigration.
    You forgot to mention that the invitation only tells at the consulate why she wants to visit USA.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you invite a friend from the DR to the US is this.

The friend either already has or applies for and gets a US visitor's visa on their own.

Then you invite them and they visit you. It is that simple.

There is no such thing as an "invitation" that does anything for their chances to visit you. It is entirely on them and their ability to prove they will return to the DR before the visa time is up.

11. Likes jd426, cobraboy, trustquest liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The way you invite a friend from the DR to the US is this.

The friend either already has or applies for and gets a US visitor's visa on their own.

Then you invite them and they visit you. It is that simple.

There is no such thing as an "invitation" that does anything for their chances to visit you. It is entirely on them and their ability to prove they will return to the DR before the visa time is up.
    Yep. And I'll add that if the US knows there is a friend or SO in US, it hurts more than helps.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

13. Likes windeguy, cobraboy, trustquest liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say that a B2 visa seems to be easier to obtain right now! House keeper just got one for 10y multi entry. No Property, no bank account all family here in the DR.

15. Likes jinty05 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast