Renting a car in Jarabacoa

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Hello. 
As I understand it there are two car rental companies in Jarabacoa, Chaci Rent a car and Francis Rent car. Francis is the only one with a web page. However, I can’t fint any prices. Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for a compact/mid size SUV with a four wheel drive and full insurance? 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are numerous car rental companies in Jarabacoa.

Full insurance? HA!

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Only found two on google maps, but good to know there are more. Going from Santo Domigo to Jarabacoa and later to Santiago. Would prefer taking the bus from Santo Domingo and to Santiago, because I’m not very fond of driving in big cities and would save at least two days rental.

Xavier_Onassis is quite right, the "HA!" statement indeed is confusing. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Only found two on google maps, but good to know there are more. Going from Santo Domigo to Jarabacoa and later to Santiago. Would prefer taking the bus from Santo Domingo and to Santiago, because I’m not very fond of driving in big cities and would save at least two days rental.

Xavier_Onassis is quite right, the "HA!" statement indeed is confusing. 
Most small businesses in the DR have no web presence.

And the "full insurance" most rental car companies offer is a joke, hence the "HA!"

This ain't Kansas, Bubba...

Besides, you can take Caribe Tours from Santo Domingo to Jarabacoa. I live in Jarabacoa.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Driving here is not for the inexperienced and uninitiated. The bus service between major cities is very good and cheap. The cost of renting a car, the pitfalls of doing so (of which there are many) as well as the risks of driving here for those without a lot of local experience are often better offset by making use of buses and reliable taxis exclusively. 

When you understand "HA", you have my permission to rent a car. Driving it, however, requires you to understand, "HA HA HA".

Good luck. You will need it. Reference news stories re: foreign drivers and rental cars can be found elsewhere on this site. 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
VEHICLE RENTAL COMPANIES
Name Phone Location
Anyolino Car Rental (809) 574-6878 20 Calle Paseo de los Profesores - Jarabacoa
Elvis Rent Car (809) 365-9066 Carr Pinar Quemado 16 - Jarabacoa
Francis Rent-A-Car (809) 574-2981 2 Carretera Federico Basilis - Jarabacoa
Neris Rent A Car (809) 574-6792 Jarabacoa

Hans, here are the phone numbers and locations of four of the car rental companies. I have rented from Francis about a year ago, while my car was being repaired and I believe the price was around 1200 pesos per day with minimum insurance. Your other option, a bit more expensive, is to rent at the Santiago airport, where there is a large selection of companies. Driving from Jarabacoa to Santiago is easy, and depending on where you are driving in Santiago not that chaotic.