¡uberMOTO llegó a Santo Domingo, tómalo desde $20 pesos!

May 20, 2012
Any information about Uber coming to Bavaro/Punta Cana??? The taxi service here is ridiculously expensive. Uber would make a killing immediately. 

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Any information about Uber coming to Bavaro/Punta Cana??? The taxi service here is ridiculously expensive. Uber would make a killing immediately. 

Last time I was in bavaro I had my taxi driver take me to town to have beer after I dropped off luggage. After a few beers I call a local taxi company. 20 bucks for back to my hotel. Never left hotel again. I guess that is the point. That is what they want. So? I don't go to bavaro resorts. I go to cabarete or las terrenas.

The bavaro driver was telling me uber will never be in PC as they would burn the cars, beat up the drivers etc. I said. . ."good old fashioned competition". He handed me his card as I got out and I ripped it up and threw it out in front of him.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la zeta says the driver and the client are supposed to use helmets (as provided by a driver). with this they should be easy to spot among regular traffic then to be targeted by regular motoconchos ;)
http://nuevo.z101digital.com/articu...ible-en-rd-se-viaja-desde-20-pesos-03-16-2017

on a more serious note, what are regular moto rides in SD? here in puerto plata they start at about 25 pesos, longer distances cost more. with uber keeping some of the money how much would drivers keep of 20 pesos ride?

i cannot get my head around how does it work and how does it pay off. regular taxis complain they cannot compete with uber because it's too cheap. so the driver charges less, gives a chunk of that to uber and still makes money yet taxista charges more, gives a chunk of money to sindicalistas and somehow what is left is not enough?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
la zeta says the driver and the client are supposed to use helmets (as provided by a driver). with this they should be easy to spot among regular traffic then to be targeted by regular motoconchos ;)
http://nuevo.z101digital.com/articu...ible-en-rd-se-viaja-desde-20-pesos-03-16-2017

on a more serious note, what are regular moto rides in SD? here in puerto plata they start at about 25 pesos, longer distances cost more. with uber keeping some of the money how much would drivers keep of 20 pesos ride?

i cannot get my head around how does it work and how does it pay off. regular taxis complain they cannot compete with uber because it's too cheap. so the driver charges less, gives a chunk of that to uber and still makes money yet taxista charges more, gives a chunk of money to sindicalistas and somehow what is left is not enough?

Uber is not a taxi company. They are a tech company. They know where the riders and drivers are and put them in touch. How many times do you see a taxi line where the drivers wait for a long time to get a fare? I landed in san jose a few weeks back. There was a hige line of taxis, bunch of guys offering me taxis. I hit the button on uber and no joke 45 seconds later was putting luggage in trunk. He dropped off a customer maybe a few hundred feet from me. Those incessant noises you hear as an uber ride ends? The system alerting them to more fares.
When I first moved to bella vista we found a nice guy at bella vista mall with beat up minivan. He was cool so we used him.Then he sort of vanished. One day I walk out and just jump in a taxi waiting out front. Asked to go to el conde. We get there and I ask how much. he says 400 pesos. That is their game. Sit around chatting with furlano all day and get maybe 4-5 customers while the uber guys do 4-5 per hour. Have not used the bella vista mall taxis once in three years now. They seem to just sit around all day and wonder why nobody uses them any more.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

.....I asked that same question to several uber taxi drivers.....they said the same thing, they make good money.... because they are always busy....in santiago during the morning and afternoon rush hour, they charge more...........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's exactly what i mean. it indicates that regular taxi service is faulty and restructuring it would make it possible to compete with uber. or the divers could simply switch sides and and join the enemy (providing they own the cars they drive).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That makes two of us............... Are they serious?

You guys always say that traffic is horrendous in la Capital, may be a moto would get you from point A to B faster and cheaper (and with a helmet !!). Who knows the driver may not drive that crazy if he also worries about his ratings.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You guys always say that traffic is horrendous in la Capital, may be a moto would get you from point A to B faster and cheaper (and with a helmet !!). Who knows the driver may not drive that crazy if he also worries about his ratings.

Are you trying to get me killed so you can inherit my ugly chairs? <G>

Thanks, but no thanks. I go underground as much as possible during rush. Anything else can wait.

Aug 6, 2006
My usual return trip from the DR involves me getting off the Boca Chica bound minibus at the entrance to SDQ and paying a motoconcho $200 to deliver me to the gate. If you don't have a lot of luggage, this works fine. If you DO have a lot of luggage, hire two motoconchos.

I have not tried this after dark.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Uber is not a taxi company. They are a tech company. They know where the riders and drivers are and put them in touch. How many times do you see a taxi line where the drivers wait for a long time to get a fare? I landed in san jose a few weeks back. There was a hige line of taxis, bunch of guys offering me taxis. I hit the button on uber and no joke 45 seconds later was putting luggage in trunk. He dropped off a customer maybe a few hundred feet from me. Those incessant noises you hear as an uber ride ends? The system alerting them to more fares.
When I first moved to bella vista we found a nice guy at bella vista mall with beat up minivan. He was cool so we used him.Then he sort of vanished. One day I walk out and just jump in a taxi waiting out front. Asked to go to el conde. We get there and I ask how much. he says 400 pesos. That is their game. Sit around chatting with furlano all day and get maybe 4-5 customers while the uber guys do 4-5 per hour. Have not used the bella vista mall taxis once in three years now. They seem to just sit around all day and wonder why nobody uses them any more.

Taxi doesn't move until you establish a price FIRST! Buyer beware, especially if you are a gringo.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I've been seen this UBER Moto add on FB. How will this be profitable for the conchos? They're already dirt cheap.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been seen this UBER Moto add on FB. How will this be profitable for the conchos? They're already dirt cheap.

Conchos, just like taxis, sit around and waste a ton of time taking turns for fares. With UBER they have the possibility of keeping moving more frequently and thus, make more money.