NOISE!!!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
WHOM DO I CONTACT ABOUT A NOISY NEIGHBOUR, I HAVE NO MEANS OF MEASURING DECIBEL LEVELS, ONLY MY EARS. THANKS.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Depending on where you live, utilize the 911 system. The government has had an anti-noise operation in effect in certain areas. They encourage residents to utilize 911. If that does not work, see Post #3.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Not knowing where you live, there is usually a respected local guy with juice that everyone knows. The last thing you want to do ( if you are a gringo and live here) is make an enemy out of a neighbor that has nothing to lose. Good luck to, I have been there

May 29, 2006
Around my neighborhood, if someone makes too much noise at night, the cops will come and confiscate the sound system. Happened to some jackass across the street. He'd put his speakers on his porch and put the same CD on repeat for hours playing Superman Sin Capa.

Noise is one of the hardest issues to deal with, esp around a holiday.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Around my neighborhood, if someone makes too much noise at night, the cops will come and confiscate the sound system. Happened to some jackass across the street. He'd put his speakers on his porch and put the same CD on repeat for hours playing Superman Sin Capa.

Noise is one of the hardest issues to deal with, esp around a holiday.

Im sorry buts that hilarious and totally the DR. Im glad you didnt have to suffer for long though.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It will be a lot easier if you move. Trying to contain the noise in the DR is impossible.

the problem is that if you use moving as a tactic to get away from noise, you could be moving forever. noise is cultural in the DR. people have to have it. if you are not Dominican, you can't understand it. here is an experiment. walk into an empty, quiet bar one afternoon. the minute you pull up a chair, the barmaid turns up the wick on the stereo system. if you tell her that you and your buds do not want the music, because you just want to be able to be heard while you converse, she looks at you like you have three heads. she cannot understand how it is that you do not want your eardrums lit up by 200 decibels of bachata.

sorry, folks. get used to it. that is life here. noise, and more noise.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I understand what Mr. Gorgon is saying. I have moved many times trying to escape the noise but to no avail. There are times when the noise is just way too much and at odd hours. To me it shows a total lack of respect. I have found one way of dealing with the noise..Getting the heck outta dodge and never to return. There is no tranquility, if it ain't the motos or the cars with loud music or the colmados with music blaring, it's always something else.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely, noise is everywhere in the DR. My neighbours on one side have five boys between 16 and 25 and they have loud motorcycles and even louder music. They all work during the day but man from 7 pm until midnight or so it is LOUD. However if you ask momma bear she belts out an order and they are immediately down to reasonable levels. They have expensive equipment and they know the cops will take it away as it's happened a few times to others in the neighbourhood. I can handle the loud music but those damn ATVs I'd like to shoot the owners.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I understand what Mr. Gorgon is saying. I have moved many times trying to escape the noise but to no avail. There are times when the noise is just way too much and at odd hours. To me it shows a total lack of respect. I have found one way of dealing with the noise..Getting the heck outta dodge and never to return. There is no tranquility, if it ain't the motos or the cars with loud music or the colmados with music blaring, it's always something else.

as i said, people just love noise. i remember as a young man growing up in Jamaica, Sunday was a day when you could hear a pin drop, or a mouse taking a whizz on a cotton ball. not so in the DR. by 10am, every stereo system is blasting, competing with the other. it is the nature of how things are.

i was once asked to be a judge at a car stereo contest in POP. i had thought that each car would take turns, and the merits of each system could be judged, individually. no such luck. it was just a free for all, everyone playing at the same time, and the loudest system was declared the winner.

forget moving, because at least twice per week some guy is going to drive past your house at 4am with seismic rumbling from his car stereo. he does not even live in your neighborhood.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
musicians_earplugs.jpg

A pair of these are a godsend. I use them often at outdoor concerts, discos and at resorts when the partying goes on well past my bedtime.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There is a really good Video on Youtube with a Guy who " Socially Engineered" his PITA neighbors to stop making a lot of noise, at odd hours of the day and late at night... by befriending their Kids.. and treating them to Ice Cream and stuff once in a while, like weekly.
If the noise was too high, No ice cream treats .. thats the short version.

it might be worth a try though... LMAO
so Good luck with that ..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
WHOM DO I CONTACT ABOUT A NOISY NEIGHBOUR, I HAVE NO MEANS OF MEASURING DECIBEL LEVELS, ONLY MY EARS. THANKS.
Speak up, I can't hear you over the noise. :D
The Policia Nacional has its Unidad Anti-Ruido, the telephone number is 809 682 2151
There was an anti-noise campaign a couple of years ago in Las Terrenas - with the mayor's office, the foreign residents' association (AIRET), Cestur (tourism security corps), COBA (control of alcoholic drinks) and the Ministry of Environment provincial office and others.
http://www.infosdiario.com/noticias...an-operativo-anti-ruidos-en-las-terrenas.html

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have come to realize that before moving into a new place you should visit the area morning, noon and night, week days and week ends. Even if all is quiet after completing this inspection there is no guarantee however you improve your odds.

I did have a pleasantly surprising experience last Sunday of Carnival in a spot across from the Monumento en Santiago. I was there with a few other people and when we entered the music was a a tolerable level. Fifteen minutes later they go to ear drum shattering levels. I asked our waitress if they could turn it down some, she talks to bartender/DJ and HE TURNED IT DOWN!!!!
I was amazed. I had already tipped and flirted with her when she brought the first bucket of beer and took good care of her the rest of the day.
What a nice surprise that was.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Another good reason to move into my neighborhood, where loud sounds are few and far between.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So true Gorgon...I have actually had that happen. Walked into a "bar" with some friends from out of town. Nice place but at the time was empty (early in the day). Sure enough as soon as they took our drink order the manager was telling the bartender "sube la musica". One of the many reasons I am not fond of visiting the MIL is the ear splitting music all the neighbors seem to have on. Way back when I can remember when we would spend the odd weekend at their place in what I call "semi campo". Sunday morning 7am neighbor has the music up so loud that my bed would vibrate. From the time you land at the airport until you board the plane to leave it is non-stop noise.