Budget clothes shopping?

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
hey folks,

So where would one go for budget friendly clothes shopping. If anyones familiar with Marshall's/TJ Maxx type stoers in the US... I'm looking for something along those lines.

Aug 6, 2006
Santo Domingo has many cheap clothing stores along Duarte near the various bus stations. A lot of people in Barahona buy clothes there for resale back home. Mostly Chinese clothes.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
You can buy disposable brands like Zara and Forever 21 in Santo Domingo. We always loaded up at Sawgrass when we were in the states. Looking good is very important there, you need to look the part or people wont take you seriously.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
I came here with beach bum attire and now know that doesn't really fly in the Capital

Considering I want to stick around for a few more months and not wanting to stick out everywhere I go, I wanted to get 2 or so moderately decent quality/style/brand denim. People always recommend Blue/Agora/etc/etc mall, but I found those options a bit more than I want to pay. I've seen a couple stores around my neighborhood selling clothes but quality and selection are generally pretty poor.

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
Go to "la Duarte" (Juan Pablo Duarte Avenue at Paris St.) and "Villacon" ("Villa Consuelo"). Can't get cheaper than that.

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
I came here with beach bum attire and now know that doesn't really fly in the Capital

Considering I want to stick around for a few more months and not wanting to stick out everywhere I go, I wanted to get 2 or so moderately decent quality/style/brand denim. People always recommend Blue/Agora/etc/etc mall, but I found those options a bit more than I want to pay. I've seen a couple stores around my neighborhood selling clothes but quality and selection are generally pretty poor.

Alright, skipped this part. Now I know where you're coming from in regards to selection. Go to "Jumbo", "La Sirena", "Plaza Lama", "Ole". As others have mentioned. Disregard my Villacon and Duarte recommendation.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Go to "la Duarte" (Juan Pablo Duarte Avenue at Paris St.) and "Villacon" ("Villa Consuelo"). Can't get cheaper than that.

Eggs Zachary!

That area is full of paca stores.

1314.jpg

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If you want better than the supermarket clothes there are good deals at Sema and Anthony's on AV. Luperon near the Jumbo

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Shopping paca stores is a cultural experience.

You can find high quality clothes if you're patient.

Carry small bills and, if you shop an area like Duarte and Paris with a high concentration of stores, stalls and people you must be situationally aware.

If you have a smart phone keep it well concealed.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
hey folks,

So where would one go for budget friendly clothes shopping. If anyones familiar with Marshall's/TJ Maxx type stoers in the US... I'm looking for something along those lines.

There always seems to be stores on Conde and in the Zona Colonial that sell 2nd hand clothing and shoes. American Brands. I always wondered where do these clothes come from? Are these the clothes that tourists "leave behind" when visiting Santo Domingo and staying in the hotels there?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There always seems to be stores on Conde and in the Zona Colonial that sell 2nd hand clothing and shoes. American Brands. I always wondered where do these clothes come from? Are these the clothes that tourists "leave behind" when visiting Santo Domingo and staying in the hotels there?

They may come from pacas (packs).

When people give used clothes or even new clothes to charities in the US such as Goodwill or St. Vincent dePaul those organizations sell about 20% of the donations in their stores and the rest is shipped in packs (that look like bales of cotton) to developing countries.

The more astute resellers in Santo Domingo sell the best items from the packs.

The less astute sell mounds of junk in which the patient buyer can find occasional gems.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENS TO YOUR CLOTHING DONATIONS?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

LOL, if you have never been it is worth a trip just to see. Amazing............. only thing missing is a "fitting room".

Aug 6, 2006
They may come from pacas (packs).

When people give used clothes or even new clothes to charities in the US such as Goodwill or St. Vincent dePaul those organizations sell about 20% of the donations in their stores and the rest is shipped in packs (that look like bales of cotton) to developing countries.

The more astute resellers in Santo Domingo sell the best items from the packs.

The less astute sell mounds of junk in which the patient buyer can find occasional gems.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENS TO YOUR CLOTHING DONATIONS?

Many Americans, especially American women are shopaholics, and quickly their addictions fill their closets and attics. On Saturdays here in Miami, I go a-cruising the yard sales, and it is amazing the amount of clothes that people have never worn even once they sell just to get closet space.

The best places are the areas that have named streets, like Coral Gables, because there is far less competition from the local bargainhunters who still have not figured out how to use a GPS.

I tried sending a couple of pacas to Barahona for resale, but it did not make much of a profit.

Costume jewelry and name brand shoes that I pick out myself in sales sell very well.

I am sure that the main problem I had was I picked the wrong paca company.

Many of them require you to purchase five pacas or more, which is of course, sight unseen.