Does anyone have info on the big fire in Dominicus?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Translated text of story in Post #3:
Dominican Republic.-A fire consumes at the moment most of the facilities of the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach hotel, in the tourist area of Bayahíbe, province of Altagracia. According to unconfirmed reports, the fire would have started by the explosion of a gas tank. Images published on social networks show how several of the hotel's cabins, covered with cane, are consumed by flames, which threaten to spread to other nearby facilities. The tourists who were staying in the hotel and other people working there had to be evacuated. There were units of the Fire Department to put down the fire. Four of these had to move from La Romana.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Another link, with the text translated below:
http://www.tonyconelpueblo.net/2017...en-cabanas-elke-y-no-en-hotel-viva-dominicus/
A fire affected Thursday more than 15 cabins with cane roof of the hotel complex Elke, located in the tourist area of ​​Bayahíbe, province La Altagracia.
At first it was reported that the fire had occurred at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach Hotel, but the maintenance manager of this chain, Harol Martinez, clarified via telephone to the Caribbean that it was a confusion because Cabañas Elke remain in front.
"Almost all the cabins have been burned, at least 8 of the nine in front and practically all that are behind," said Martínez, who said they helped to stifle the flames with their fire system.
"We started to wet the cane roofs of the Elke Cabins and also wet ours to keep the fire from spreading and so we stopped for a while to spread until the first fire truck arrived," he said.
He explained that the fire trucks took more than an hour to arrive and that it was not possible to do more because there is no hydrant system in the area.
He asked the authorities to take this into account and place hydrants to avoid other similar events.
Martínez reported that the flames apparently started in the gifs "El Mundo", where they sell the crafts at approximately 4:30 in the afternoon, which was totally burned.
According to unconfirmed reports, the fire would have started by the explosion of a gas tank. No person was injured.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That's a big fire to have spread from Cabana Elk to El Mundo that means Da Elio must be gone too. Feel bad for the new owners.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Another reason it may be time to consider other options in life:
"He explained that the fire trucks took more than an hour to arrive and that it was not possible to do more because there is no hydrant system in the area."
How many times have we heard of this scenario?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Another reason it may be time to consider other options in life:
"He explained that the fire trucks took more than an hour to arrive and that it was not possible to do more because there is no hydrant system in the area."
How many times have we heard of this scenario?

I can't believe this or I should believe it. I guess they've never had a big fire before. That's one street over from where I stay. I know all the business owners. I came home a week early because I wasn't feeling well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on photos it looks like the roofs were made of cana? lots of material to burn.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
on photos it looks like the roofs were made of cana? lots of material to burn.

Yes all those little cabanas had cana roofs. I just can't wrap my head around how a fire at the gift shop could spread that far down the road with a big hotel in between.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes all those little cabanas had cana roofs. I just can't wrap my head around how a fire at the gift shop could spread that far down the road with a big hotel in between.

Sadly, its due to lack, or no preparation for these types of occurrences. Kind of reminds me of the condos for rent that include rooftop Jacuzzi and BBQ, neither have every been hooked up or have water or gas. But the Dominican owner says thats not his fault because its due to a lack of maintenance fee collections." But it is true, we have Jacuzzi and BBQ, didn't say they worked".

Im sure Bayahibe has firetrucks and hydrants buy nobody ever promised they work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Im sure Bayahibe has firetrucks and hydrants buy nobody ever promised they work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Doesn't look like they have anything whatsoever. In the past it's always been the firefighters from San Rafael de Yuma, La Romana and Punta Cana that have gone. Last month their current mayor said he was working on getting firetrucks and equipment. I think he'll be getting a donation this year from Firefighters Without Borders from Canada if I remember correctly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i guess it depends on conditions. the wind could carry burning pieces of various materials. sometimes it's just really bad luck.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Can you imagine the liability mess here? Travel agents and tourists book their stays at these popular resorts while completely unaware of the construction risks, fire prevention risks, and the closest fire departments are a city away. Now god forbid there is a fatality. I know the DR runs on "impunity" model but the buck will stop somewhere.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Any fatalities? That is my favorite area to vacay. Wonder if the resorts were affected?

In this day and age, there should be something as important as a fire hydrant to hook up to the trucks, yeez!