Few questions :P

Matthew_12

Feb 26, 2017
Hi :)
I will stay for the first time in Santo Domingo from 3 to 27 April. It will be a long holiday but basically I don't have intention to move from the capital.
There are three things which I would like to do but I need some suggestions from people who live there.

1) Bachata lesson: I already dance but I want to improve my skills. I need to know a good school or a good teacher for private classes. I saw something on facebook like "Aprenda a Bailar en 21 horas" but I would like to avoid to go each day in a different school, throw away money and change to another school. Normally local people know exactly where are the best teacher "para aprender".
2) Playing basketball: One of my passion is basket and if someone can tell me where I can find a good playground to play "streetbasket" it will be great.
3) learn as soon as possible the transportation with the carros publicos (mas o meno hablo un poco de espanol, entonces creo que puedo comunicar sin problemas). I understood that the price for one ride should be around 30 pesos but I don't understand what are the predefined route. For example if I take a publicos at the street "expreso 27 de febrero", will it do all the street till the "rio ozama" river or it will cross the corner at a certain point? I'm asking this because I was in Cuba and I learned easily the routes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
1, Bacahata, Basketball and busses. You might as well go to Washington Heights in NYC. Much better level of B'ball. DR not knowned for street basketball. Baseball is the sport of choice of the DR. You want to find street cred and local flavor go to Brooklyn. Do you speak playground Spanish? If not, you will be way in over your head.

Matthew_12

Feb 26, 2017
1, Bacahata, Basketball and busses. You might as well go to Washington Heights in NYC. Much better level of B'ball. DR not knowned for street basketball. Baseball is the sport of choice of the DR. You want to find street cred and local flavor go to Brooklyn. Do you speak playground Spanish? If not, you will be way in over your head.

Que bueno! jajaja Well also in Cuba the Baseball is the national sport but I invite you to go in their playground. So about the basketball question I was only asking where to find a playground where "normally" people go there to play. About Bachata: I recall that the Bachata dance is "dominicana" and it is strange that you are suggesting me to learn it in Brooklyn :p . Aprendì a hablar espanol en Cuba en la calle, entonces no te preocupes que no es perfecto pero nunca tenia problema para comprender algo...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1.

I've never taken a publico, but they have routes and you'll learn them quickly. Our son took them all over SD. Different publicos on 27 de Febrero may go different places: to Ensanche Ozama, Villa Mella, la Feria, etc. The car should be marked. (If you're familiar with NY subways, you know the F and E and 7 trains stop at different places/routes, same thing).

Uber is popular in SD, and if you prefer a taxi at night, call Apolo taxi.

Basketball is popular in SD, there are courts around so you may be able to pick up a game.

As far as bachata, can't help you with professional teacher, but if you go to a club I'm sure there will be plenty of girls willing to teach you.

Have fun, bring your street smarts.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
For Bachata contact Rodolfo Montano Castro thru Facebook. He teaches Bachata in international Festivals since many years. Dominican Style Bachata.
He's reliable and nice. Speaks only spanish.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hola, about carros publicos first let us know what area you will be staying, We have Metro, Carros publicos, guaguas voladoras, taxi, uber and motoconcho. Depending the area you will be staying then we could give you some info.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
there is a basketball court in the miradur sur park.....every morning as I was walking I would see them playing games ..it seemed very popular

Matthew_12

Feb 26, 2017
First of all thank you for all the answers. I will stay in Piantini districto. Actually I really would like to spend all the days for Bachata lesson, basket, improve spanish etc... If I want to go to the beach I saw playa boca chica and I imagine that it should be really cheap to go there if I take a carro publico and maybe a guagua (assuming that no carro publico cover this route too). Maybe only 2-3 days I will go for a side trip to Pedernales and than to playa bahia de las aguilas. But actually my first concern is to find a valid male/female bachata teacher. One thing that maybe could sound stupid: if I do bachata and basket I will need to wash oftne my clothes. I can't hire a maid. Is it easy to find a cheap laundry service?

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
First of all thank you for all the answers. I will stay in Piantini districto. Actually I really would like to spend all the days for Bachata lesson, basket, improve spanish etc... If I want to go to the beach I saw playa boca chica and I imagine that it should be really cheap to go there if I take a carro publico and maybe a guagua (assuming that no carro publico cover this route too). Maybe only 2-3 days I will go for a side trip to Pedernales and than to playa bahia de las aguilas. But actually my first concern is to find a valid male/female bachata teacher. One thing that maybe could sound stupid: if I do bachata and basket I will need to wash oftne my clothes. I can't hire a maid. Is it easy to find a cheap laundry service?

Bachata: Dozens of options. This is the equivalent of craigslist here in DR: http://www.corotos.com.do/santo_domingo/clases-en_venta
That link I sent prompts you to the "Courses and Classes" section. I'm not sure if they appear there but "Chicha" is an old time great option as well as "Tia Gloria". If interested I can let you know.

Basketball: Baseball is ours port, however basketball is EXTREMELY popular here. More than people would actually admit. Like someone said in the Mirador park there is one public court that you can use, I wouldn't recommend that one to be honest. Specially since you're staying in Piantini I would recommend you go to the "Centro Olimpico". This Centro is a free to use, free entry free for all, sports complex that features American football, soccer, swimming, tennis, basketball, chess, baseball, volleyball and numerous other sports. Just show up and play pick up basketball. If you're no introvert and aren't shy just approach a group of guys and ask them if you could play, dominicans don't bite. The "Centro Olimpico" would be my first option by any chance... however, almost every single hood has a basketball court which you could show up and play. Centro Olimpico is just much safer for someone who doesn't know the city.

Plenty of chep laundry everywhere. Use Google. If you don't come up with anything then let me know. Beware that there is also plenty of very expensive laundry, specially around Piantini.

To improve your spanish just hang with dominicans. I would avoid taking classes unless you want to have grammar, read/write very properly. If it is just to get by the hang around with locals.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Girls? Did you ever think for 1 minute that he might want to stay away from those girls that will fleece him of his money and belongings.

Last edited:

Matthew_12

Feb 26, 2017
@ElVenao I contacted on facebook Rodolfo Montano Castro but if you can give me additional information about "Chicha" and "Tia Gloria" I really appreciate. About basketball I'm not a shy guy, I easily join the game since i'm a good player. For sure I will go at the centro olimpico but from google also "Cancha Parque Mirador Sur" seems nice.
@GuillermoRamon I'm old shool, I always prefer to learn something in the place where it was born. @Mcinbrass don't worry it isn't my first travel. Anyway my only concern to not be scammed is to understand the transportation and how to reach a far away place without paying a private taxis (for example santo domingo est or boca chica). If you can exactly explain me which publico and guagua take, it will be great

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
@ElVenao I contacted on facebook Rodolfo Montano Castro but if you can give me additional information about "Chicha" and "Tia Gloria" I really appreciate. About basketball I'm not a shy guy, I easily join the game since i'm a good player. For sure I will go at the centro olimpico but from google also "Cancha Parque Mirador Sur" seems nice.
@GuillermoRamon I'm old shool, I always prefer to learn something in the place where it was born. @Mcinbrass don't worry it isn't my first travel. Anyway my only concern to not be scammed is to understand the transportation and how to reach a far away place without paying a private taxis (for example santo domingo est or boca chica). If you can exactly explain me which publico and guagua take, it will be great

Most of the buses to reach other parts of the island can be accessed at Parque Enriquillo. i.e Boca Chica, La Romana, Higuey and Bavaro. The buses to reach the central and North coast, your best bet is taking a Transporte Espinal or Metro/Caribe Tours. Those are motor coach style with a depot and timetable, I believe the schedules are posted on their respective websites, where as the other inter city buses leave when they fill up.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
And don-t miss the Sunday evening party on ruinas de San Francisco. Better than anywhere in Cuba.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Cannot recommend Chicha. She might be a great dancer but has no patience with foreigners and is really arrogant..i left after 2 hours

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
Cannot recommend Chicha. She might be a great dancer but has no patience with foreigners and is really arrogant..i left after 2 hours

Julia31... She has her personality, always has.
She is like the angry teacher who yells at you but has your best interest at heart. I'm sorry it felt unpleasant but I am sure she is just a little brute in her demeanor and is not like that to specific people, she is just like that with everyone.

Perhaps going somewhere else could be better for the TS

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
There is a basketball court right on George Washington down by the  colonial andopposite of the ships of you are living in paitina mo eye should not be your concrrn

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
There is a basketball court right on George Washington down by the  colonial andopposite of the ships of you are living in piantini money  should not be your concern you with the rich folks

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Girls? Did you ever think for 1 minute that he might want to stay away from those girls that will fleece him of his money and belongings.

You have to remember, there are many here that live for the exclusive reason of being able to have a conversation (for starters) with a girl 30-40 years younger than them. So let it be written. So let it be done. Sad, but true.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
@Matthew:
If you're truly interested in street BB, inbox me. Here in San Pedro there is a court, BUT, you better be able to play. It rivals "The Cage" back in NYC. Do your own homework on that. Inbox me if interested.