Why Don't Spanish Speaking People NEVER Wanna Speak to me?

mexi

Dec 9, 2014
Learning Spanish can be s frustrating lol...

Have you ever tried to speak to a Spanish speaking person and they just ignore you or answer you in English? I rather them ignore me that answer in English lol...

I thought I was the only one, but this interesting post here talking about the topic! Very interesting read... They don't do that in the DR tho lol...

https://www.grittyspanish.com/?p=22087

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
While I was studying English, and way after that, I was eager to practice, so If I met any native speakers, I'd talk to them in English. It just came naturally. There was actually nothing ill intentioned behind it.

And hey, also, sometimes the person starts struggling, they're stuck, etc. You don't want them to feel embarrassed, so you kind of feel like "helping" them out.
Another situation is when the person's Spanish level is very low. This can lead to serious misunderstandings, so you may revert back to English to truly understand what they're trying to say.
What you should do is just tell the person you'd like to practice your Spanish, and voila! I'll bet you they'll be more than willing to help.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Have you ever tried to speak to a Spanish speaking person and they just ignore you or answer you in English? I rather them ignore me that answer in English lol...

I thought I was the only one, but this interesting post here talking about the topic! Very interesting read... They don't do that in the DR tho lol...

Do you really believe this is unique?

Every French speaker I know wants me to speak English; every Dominican speaker I know wants me to speak English; ditto, Italians.

And I, in turn, want every French speaker to speak French; every Dominican to speak Dominican, etc.

This is how one gains, if not fluency, competency.

mexi

Dec 9, 2014

Every French speaker I know wants me to speak English; every Dominican speaker I know wants me to speak English; ditto, Italians.

And I, in turn, want every French speaker to speak French; every Dominican to speak Dominican, etc.

No I don't believe it's unique, just incredibly frustrating. It's something you don't really care about till you start learning your target language, in my case Spanish..

mexi

Dec 9, 2014
While I was studying English, and way after that, I was eager to practice, so If I met any native speakers, I'd talk to them in English. It just came naturally. There was actually nothing ill intentioned behind it.

And hey, also, sometimes the person starts struggling, they're stuck, etc. You don't want them to feel embarrassed, so you kind of feel like "helping" them out.
Another situation is when the person's Spanish level is very low. This can lead to serious misunderstandings, so you may revert back to English to truly understand what they're trying to say.
What you should do is just tell the person you'd like to practice your Spanish, and voila! I'll bet you they'll be more than willing to help.

That I get, but I am talking about saying, "Hola, como estas" and they respond to you saying, "hello I am fine" lol.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I would also suggest, most respectfully, that you check your own syntax. Because "why don't Spanish-speaking people never want to speak to me..." is not correct. The correct syntax is "why don't Spanish-speaking people ever want to speak to me."

Just as resident grammar bitch, I couldn't let this pass. I pass this on as a teacher.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would also suggest, most respectfully, that you check your own syntax. Because "why don't Spanish-speaking people never want to speak to me..." is not correct. The correct syntax is "why don't Spanish-speaking people ever want to speak to me."

Just as resident grammar bitch, I couldn't let this pass. I pass this on as a teacher.

It's 5am in the morning Meems.  I really hope you have a good explanation for being the grammar Nazi at this hour.  If you've been up all night on the razz and you've logged onto DR1 whilst raiding the fridge, then that's fine.

If you've woken up after a good night's sleep and posted this, then you need help ma'am.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... And I, in turn, want every French speaker to speak French; every Dominican to speak Dominican, etc.

Darn, no wonder I have so much trouble communicating with Dominicans.
For years I have been trying to speak Spanish with them instead of "DOMINICAN".

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

I find this to be true with Latin Americans however, I can't say the same for Spaniards because I don't have enough interaction with speakers from Spain. My feeling is the dynamic is different because a large percentage of Spaniards have very little to no knowledge of English so they may find themselves in a situation where they have to be patient.

The reason why many Latin Americans snub the foreigner who is trying to learn Spanish is something I have asked myself for years. I also have a colleague who will not speak to anyone in Spanish unless they are a native speaker or of Latin heritage. While his English is okay it's very heavily accented. I asked him why and he said he does not feel comfortable speaking in Spanish to anyone who is not a Spanish speaker which is what I suspected. Then there are those in the same age group who totally embrace the foreigner and try to help by speaking to them in Spanish and afterwards give them pointers on what they should say or say differently. Some of this generational.

I think it also depends on the level of confidence of the foreigner. I have seen many Latinos snub the foreigner who is learning- ouch! It's frustrating but it happens. I also feel there is a certain level of pride involved meaning the thought 'how dare you butcher my language' many Spanish speakers are sensitive to that. However, it does not help the person who is trying to learn. As well, if your accent is heavy there is a high probability you will get the snub. I am not saying it's correct, it's just the way it is. 

The new generation of speakers today let's say the last 15 years or so is totally different since Spanish has become more globalized via technology, music, social media etc. it's a language many people want to learn and feel a connection to it. This generation embraces the foreigner more willingly and they want their friends to speak Spanish too if possible. Keep in mind Spanish is not a lingua franca whereas English is thus the reason why it has lost a lot in terms of what is considered acceptable grammar- a total barco a la deriva if you ask me.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

What language is Dominican?

-MP.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
When this happens to me (sporadically) I just talk to them in Dutch untill they have to switch back to Spanish. Then I explain them that not every " narrow nose" is Americano.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Butcher the language ??...... dominicans butcher spanish just fine w/o the help of foreigners.......

I always come out with my story :
My parents, eldery folks, took spanish classes at geneva university. 
The first day, the teacher was asking why they wanted to learn spanish. My mother answered that her son ( that would be me ) was marrying a dominicana, and so it was to be able to communicate with the new family-in-law.
The teacher, a mexican, laughed and said : dominicans ?? You are not in the right place then !!!!!  

As for dominicans answering in english..... never happens to me....... i would have appriciated it at first though, lol. Probably due to me being in the campo, though.
But even retirees from the states dont speak english to me. Maybe it means my spanish/dominican is getting  better ??

To be honest, the first year, i did have some problems communicating, at times.
And there were 2 diffrent types of people :
The patient ones, who would reformulate so i could try and understand, or who would ask me again ( and again, and again ) what i was saying.
A big thanks to those guys.
And the others, who wouldnt make the slightest effort. Not a problem since I was the odd one out, not speaking spanish.
To those ones, well tough poo-poo for them. They didnt, and still dont, get my buisness  i say buisness, cos obviously in a purely social context, in my experience, dominicans are very prone to make the effort of understanding/be understood. Much more than we would back home in europe, if a foreigner doesnt speak the local language or english...... he is up sh.it creek w/o a paddle.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Maybe they speak to you in English because they hurt when you speak Spanish ?? I know because when my sister was learning Spanish, maybe 6 months after her arrival here, she would talk to our gardener in Spanish and struggle and I would hurt... seriously, my belly would twists and I was sweating, just listening to her. I would then tell her, either talk to the guy in French or let ME talk to him... In God's truth, It was HURTING, badly !! So just saying... maybe that's why.:bunny:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
[/url]

It's a common thing: speakers tend to automatically switch to the language they perceive as most efficient / least painful for communicating, i.e. they see that their English is better than your Spanish hence they answer back in English. Obvious solution is to practice your Spanish with people who don't speak any English.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm not very good on the phone at the best of times, especially in Spanish, my second language. My most mortifying moment was when I called a friend at her workplace in Spain. A colleague answered the phone. My friend was not available so he asked me to leave her a message. I got a bit tongue-tied and he switched to English, for he was actually English but you would not have known it from his perfect accent in Spanish - "Would you feel more comfortable speaking in English?"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm not very good on the phone at the best of times, especially in Spanish, my second language. My most mortifying moment was when I called a friend at her workplace in Spain. A colleague answered the phone. My friend was not available so he asked me to leave her a message. I got a bit tongue-tied and he switched to English, for he was actually English but you would not have known it from his perfect accent in Spanish - "Would you feel more comfortable speaking in English?"

You're still young, wait until you can't remember a word in English.........But know it in Spanish. And if I had a dollar for every time I've asked Mr AE to translate an English word into Spanish and his brain freezes.

I tell him I wish he could hear how fluent my Spanish is in my dreams.

To the OP, get out of the cities and tourist areas, no one speaks English in the campo. Sink or swim out here.