Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cellphone question

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Could someone explain to me this $200 custom rule. I sent myself an unlocked iphone7 though eps and all i had to pay was the shipping fees. Did i get lucky or what?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Could someone explain to me this $200 custom rule. I sent myself an unlocked iphone7 though eps and all i had to pay was the shipping fees. Did i get lucky or what?

Maybe you get lucky

3. Likes alexw liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santa110xyz View Post
    This morning my cellphone crashed on the floor... need a new one.
    Could someone give me an advise please which one to buy. Because of the customs 200US$ rule the variety is limited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O8YX1K..._t2_B015K9B7KM would this one work in this country? I am not very familiar with the necessary bandwidths etc.... what i need is Dual Sim,
    DR providers are mainly GSM service, so you need a GSM phone.

Moderator - Residents Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to buy cellphone here because they cost much more and they don't offer the variety...  it is just i am overwhelmed with all the infos provided .... why too much info ...
    You have two choices. 

1) Buy a phone here that works here, with the carrier of your choice.
    2) Buy a phone elsewhere and have to do some homework to make sure it will work here with your carrier of choice. 

Any phone you buy outside the DR needs to accept a sim card. It needs to be unlocked and it needs to work on the frequencies used by your DR carrier. You'll need to lookup what frequencies your DR carrier uses and compare those numbers with the frequencies that your new phone uses. If they match, you're in business. If they don't, you keep looking.

Amazon has lots of choices and usually identifies which US based cell carrier the phone can be used with. Figure out which US carriers use CDMA and you can exclude any phone that is intended to be used with those companies. 

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This link may help you discover if your phone will work in the DR. http://willmyphonework.net/

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This morning my cellphone crashed on the floor... need a new one.
    Could someone give me an advise please which one to buy. Because of the customs 200US$ rule the variety is limited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O8YX1K..._t2_B015K9B7KM would this one work in this country? I am not very familiar with the necessary bandwidths etc.... what i need is Dual Sim,
    You might want to get a hard cover for the phone. Cheaper than replacement

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acmike View Post
    This link may help you discover if your phone will work in the DR. http://willmyphonework.net/
    thank you so much! this link is of true help! Super :-)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I look at is if the phone is GSM. Says very clearly in all cell phone listings. I have Claro. Just bought a Sony Experia Z3 Compact for $199 on Ebay.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

...never had a problem with a phone I brought in from USA........Last time down brought in 2 samsung galaxy J7 unlocked versions,from amazon.......mi girl fren bought 2 sim cards for DR, very cheap.....yes those chicas love that new gold color.......anyway the phone I use in the usa is a samsung grand prime, I brought that to, it is still locked, and has USA sim card.......but whatsapp works here in DR.......maybe today I will try that one under water?????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    With new items, anything with a value above $200 is taxed by Aduana when coming into RD. Used items are supposedly exempt, but as always it depends on who is inspecting shipments.

You probably got lucky; I've never sent a fancy phone, but I have had a tablet stolen in-transit. Taino made good on my loss, so I simply bought another and went to the States to get it on a regularly-scheduled trip.

13. Likes alexw liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast