Cellphone question

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Claro DR uses the same LTE bandwidths as the US does. I don't know about Orange. So make sure you get a phone that's US-LTE compatible and unlocked, and you should be fine with Claro in DR.

I'd recommend the Asus Zenfone 2, US-edition. 2 sims and a micro-SD cardslot.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This morning my cellphone crashed on the floor... need a new one.
Could someone give me an advise please which one to buy. Because of the customs 200US$ rule the variety is limited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O8YX1K/ref=psdc_2407749011_t2_B015K9B7KM would this one work in this country? I am not very familiar with the necessary bandwidths etc.... what i need is Dual Sim,

Ask the Seller about the bands, because Orange 3G works in the 900 MHz, Claro 850 MHz, Clato LTE 2100 MHz.

If the phone do not work on the 900 MHz and you have Orange then you wont be able to use it, same thing will happend if only bring Orange bands and your simecard is from Claro.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Ask the Seller about the bands, because Orange 3G works in the 900 MHz, Claro 850 MHz, Clato LTE 2100 MHz.

If the phone do not work on the 900 MHz and you have Orange then you wont be able to use it, same thing will happend if only bring Orange bands and your simecard is from Claro.

I have Orange. wow difficult to find a cellphone which does really work.

StevenS0504

Mar 12, 2016
My previous cell phone from BOOST mobile in the U.S. did NOT work in the dominican republic....i have METRO PCS now, and have the WORLD CALLING FEATURE.....the web site says, i have 200 minutes roaming and texts when i am IN the dominican republic...i called customer service, but the gentleman, was not too sure and hard to understand...if someone has METRO PCS or knows of someone who does, and has the WORLD CALLING FEATURE, please let me know..hoping to have use of my phone, without having to buy another at las americas, from claro/orange. thanks

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Why not buy a phone here? My smartphone died and I ended up buying another one here, which takes a sim card so now I have all in one, both my smartphone and my Dominican phone sim card in one phone. Before I had 2 phones. The sound is so much better and the quality of the call is so clear; on my Dom phone I was always holding one ear in and screaming to be heard!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
This morning my cellphone crashed on the floor... need a new one.
Could someone give me an advise please which one to buy. Because of the customs 200US$ rule the variety is limited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O8YX1K/ref=psdc_2407749011_t2_B015K9B7KM would this one work in this country? I am not very familiar with the necessary bandwidths etc.... what i need is Dual Sim,

I bought new S5 Samsung as my Dominican phone 6500 peso unlocked and it's water proof to 3 feet and rings under water don't ask ;) in Sosua..

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I don't like to buy cellphone here because they cost much more and they don't offer the variety. LOL i don't go swimming with the phone, so don't need to answer under water jajajjajajaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... hilarious. it is just i am overwhelmed with all the infos provided .... why too much info but the bandwith is hidden and if they work here. 2G 3G 4G.....Lte .... at the moment i have the feeling like gambling; meaning ordering and hoping it will work LOL. I tried the page #5 mentioned...oh jesus ! - i provides so much info that i even can not determine which info i of value in my case. i like a smart phone, not more than 200$, nice design, fast 2 to 3 RAM, at least 32....and working with Orange...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I must be a lucky dude.....
I have numerous, cheap, phones ( under 50$) . Bought in europe and the dr. I get them unlocked here in the dr. And they all work here in the dr ( orange and claro ), and back in europe ( orange, mucho, bouygues, swisscom....)....... never even thought of the possibility they wouldnt work cos of the diffrent bands and stuff.
Mostly samsung and alcatel phone brands.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Could someone explain to me this $200 custom rule. I sent myself an unlocked iphone7 though eps and all i had to pay was the shipping fees. Did i get lucky or what?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't like to buy cellphone here because they cost much more and they don't offer the variety...  it is just i am overwhelmed with all the infos provided .... why too much info ...

You have two choices. 

1) Buy a phone here that works here, with the carrier of your choice.
2) Buy a phone elsewhere and have to do some homework to make sure it will work here with your carrier of choice. 

Any phone you buy outside the DR needs to accept a sim card. It needs to be unlocked and it needs to work on the frequencies used by your DR carrier. You'll need to lookup what frequencies your DR carrier uses and compare those numbers with the frequencies that your new phone uses. If they match, you're in business. If they don't, you keep looking.

Amazon has lots of choices and usually identifies which US based cell carrier the phone can be used with. Figure out which US carriers use CDMA and you can exclude any phone that is intended to be used with those companies. 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The only thing I look at is if the phone is GSM. Says very clearly in all cell phone listings. I have Claro. Just bought a Sony Experia Z3 Compact for $199 on Ebay.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...never had a problem with a phone I brought in from USA........Last time down brought in 2 samsung galaxy J7 unlocked versions,from amazon.......mi girl fren bought 2 sim cards for DR, very cheap.....yes those chicas love that new gold color.......anyway the phone I use in the usa is a samsung grand prime, I brought that to, it is still locked, and has USA sim card.......but whatsapp works here in DR.......maybe today I will try that one under water?????

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Could someone explain to me this $200 custom rule. I sent myself an unlocked iphone7 though eps and all i had to pay was the shipping fees. Did i get lucky or what?

With new items, anything with a value above $200 is taxed by Aduana when coming into RD. Used items are supposedly exempt, but as always it depends on who is inspecting shipments.

You probably got lucky; I've never sent a fancy phone, but I have had a tablet stolen in-transit. Taino made good on my loss, so I simply bought another and went to the States to get it on a regularly-scheduled trip.