U.S Cell phone usage in DR

StevenS0504

Mar 12, 2016
I am a customer with METRO PCS cell phone company in the U.S. I also have the WORLD CALLING feature..My previous carrier was BOOST MOBILE and their service did NOT work in D.R. I did call Customer Service for METRO PCS, but their agent was hard to understand. I also read the web site, they claim i DO have 200 roaming inutes to use, 200 mb of data and send 200 and receive unlimited texts...I am just looking for peace of mind and confirmation from anyone who has METRO PCS as a carrier, or knows someone who does that has the world calling feature...Will my service work while i am in boca chica..?? i am trying to avoid buying a phone in las americas airport (Claro/Orange) THANKS for any information

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am a customer with METRO PCS cell phone company in the U.S. I also have the WORLD CALLING feature..My previous carrier was BOOST MOBILE and their service did NOT work in D.R. I did call Customer Service for METRO PCS, but their agent was hard to understand. I also read the web site, they claim i DO have 200 roaming inutes to use, 200 mb of data and send 200 and receive unlimited texts...I am just looking for peace of mind and confirmation from anyone who has METRO PCS as a carrier, or knows someone who does that has the world calling feature...Will my service work while i am in boca chica..?? i am trying to avoid buying a phone in las americas airport (Claro/Orange) THANKS for any information

I can guarantee you will be serviced in Boca Chica. But that is a whole 'nother plan. Put the phone down and step back. Not sure about Metro PCS. If you have a world calling feature you should be fine. I know in my case with Verizon I can add a monthly unlimited calling plan for $40us when travelling outside the US.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I was in Santiago last year with my MetroPCS and was PLEASED to find out I had 200 roaming minutes with my world plan. PLUS I had 200 more long distance WIFI calling minutes when I connected to WIFI. This enabled me to call USA like I never left and use long distance 200 minutes, world calling.

That said, I went to Orange and bought portable WiFi anand one week Internet for about 2000 pesos to have Internet since I don't have Internet there.

Used wisely you would have potencially 400+ minutes to use calling phones in DR. The trick is using WIFI.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find it's your carrier that allows the WiFi calling....or not.

I use TMobile, unlimited data outside the US.
My US phone is WiFi enabled by TMobile so all house calling is free.
Although the Claro phone hooks up to my WiFi, no calls ate allowed.

We find TMobile preferable to Verizon..... cheaper by half in our case +\-

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I find it's your carrier that allows the WiFi calling....or not.

I use TMobile, unlimited data outside the US.
My US phone is WiFi enabled by TMobile so all house calling is free.
Although the Claro phone hooks up to my WiFi, no calls ate allowed.

We find TMobile preferable to Verizon..... cheaper by half in our case +\-

I can tell you on at&t it's the phone, not the carrier. When we moved, our new house had almost no phone signal, there's a dead zone nearby. They told me activate wifi calling on my phone, only iPhone 6 or higher offer that. (I'm sure some other brand phones do too). Mine works great, Mr AE's iPhone 5 doesn't offer wifi so he'll have to upgrade when we get home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My wife's iPhone 5 dials out by WiFi, mine is a 6

FaceTime audio seems to be more stable than a straight dial, for us

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I was in Santiago last year with my MetroPCS and was PLEASED to find out I had 200 roaming minutes with my world plan. PLUS I had 200 more long distance WIFI calling minutes when I connected to WIFI. This enabled me to call USA like I never left and use long distance 200 minutes, world calling.

That said, I went to Orange and bought portable WiFi anand one week Internet for about 2000 pesos to have Internet since I don't have Internet there.

Used wisely you would have potencially 400+ minutes to use calling phones in DR. The trick is using WIFI.

Remember with MetroPCS World Plan (that allows to call DR from USA to house phones unlimited and cell phone 200 minutes)

If you go to DR with that World Plan....

1) No wifi, you got 200 minutes roamining.
2) WITH Wifi you got unlimited calling to USA, unlimited calling to DR house phones, and 200 minutes to DR cell phones, in ADDITION to those 200 minutes roaming.

While in DR use WiFi as much as possible to save those Roaming minutes

Thats why I bought a Portable Wifi and sign up at orange(or whoever is easier for you) and also so I can surf on my laptop as well.

I've been to DR twice and take my portable WiFi to Orange and sign up for internet for whatever time Im there.
FYI .....Metro PCS controls who has WiFi calling and who does not, depends on plan, World calling has it.

I've NEVER EVER had problems with MetroPCS. I just get a decent phone. and now MetroPCS rides on T-Mobile network!