Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MotoCaribe in May 2017 Issue of Rider Magazine

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Very much understood and as you see it.

As for your future projects? They sound great and very much needed. Keep us informed.

Can I RIDE? A couple of years on my own 350? with well over 5K on nice flat American roads................... 40 years ago. My best and fondest memory is of picking pea gravel out of my leg, side and arm after going down. Ouch. I don't think that I could pass a physical. So I'm not a client. lol

2. Likes cobraboy, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Very much understood and as you see it.

As for your future projects? They sound great and very much needed. Keep us informed.

Can I RIDE? A couple of years on my own 350? with well over 5K on nice flat American roads................... 40 years ago. My best and fondest memory is of picking pea gravel out of my leg, side and arm after going down. Ouch. I don't think that I could pass a physical. So I'm not a client. lol
    I'm getting too old myself, although I have a few more miles than 5000 ( Had a Harley FLH for 33 years) I'm a slow rider.

These guys would leave me behind in the dust or get miffed because I held everybody back..

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    These guys would leave me behind in the dust or get miffed because I held everybody back..
    Nah.

Speedbumps are the Great Equalizer...

5. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes Celt202, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    The DR is no place to learn how to properly ride a motorcycle ad hoc.

I have turned away dozens of clients because they lack the riding experience necessary for a tour. That's one reason we have had only one guest incident for MotoCaribe, and even it wasn't too bad. The biggest challenge is in the mountain twisties. If one doesn't know and have the experience to ride curvy roads, disaster awaits. However, if one does...well, the DR is a rider's paradise.

Our FAQ's state the minimum requirements: a Motorcycle endorsement or MSF BRC Certificate, and 5000 miles riding experience.

That said, in addition to other projects, I am working on a project that will bring formal Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training to the DR: a Basic Rider Course (BRC), Advanced Rider Course (ARC), and Basic Scooter Course (BSC).
    Congratulations on your hard earned and well deserved kudos CB. I hope your safety course proposal leads the way for safer motorcycling. Maybe the government will institute one if they see you leading the way. Back in the day when I learned to ride, there were no safety courses. I rolled in on my bike, and asked the RCMP officer to follow me and test me. He said,"You drove it here. Your good to go". I took the first course available later on and it helped me get rid of a few bad habits. Took another one at age 60 to make sure I was still capable of handling high performance touring bikes. Probably do another one at age 70. 

9. Likes sanpedrogringo, cobraboy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12